Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2019, 10:29 AM

26,964 posts, read 13,212,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
If it was my child I would remove the life support. I have lost a child so yes I know the pain involved. It is absolutely devastating to lose a child but it's pure selfishness to allow someone to suffer long term with no hope of a decent quality of life. Remove the life support and allow nature to take its course.

I totally agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2019, 10:34 AM

13,513 posts, read 19,218,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
https://www.fox7austin.com/news/cour...FFUIDzybzoSHCk

We have discussed other cases on this forum where a hospital wanted to discontinue life support from patients who had been shown to be brain dead or in a permanent vegetative state, but I have never seen a case where the hospital intended to withdraw life support from a patient (in this case, a baby) due to an "irreversible condition". As far as I can tell from reading this article, the baby has severe congenital heart disease and is dependent upon mechanical ventilation, yet is not brain dead. That seems like a huge difference to me and I'm pleased that a judge has intervened to allow this family time to locate another facility.

I'm sure some could argue that the baby has no quality of life, but she does have a life and is not brain dead. Her parents should be compassionately counseled regarding her condition and future and allowed to make decisions on her behalf.
From what I've read the child has been living in the hospital all her life hooked onto machines. I believe the child is the hospitals child...the decisions the family would make are not based on reality. Unless they have that child in their possession, which they never had, nor will, it doesn't seem that it's their child.
I'm sorry this child must endure pain and suffering every day....and I think it's caregivers...the hospital...should be the ones listened to regarding her health and quality of life.....just my opinion.

Old 11-15-2019, 01:29 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,739,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I'm sure some could argue that the baby has no quality of life, but she does have a life and is not brain dead. Her parents should be compassionately counseled regarding her condition and future and allowed to make decisions on her behalf.
As long as the parents are paying for it.

Old 11-15-2019, 03:33 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,901,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
As long as the parents are paying for it.
So, only people who are paying for their health care are allowed to make end of life decisions? What if you have private insurance? Does the insurer get to make the decision regarding continuing life support when they deem that you no longer have a quality of life that meets their standard? If you have Medicare, does that count as "paying for it"?

Old 11-15-2019, 03:45 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,373,836 times
I think all involved need to accept that some things are not meant to be.

Let the child go with dignity. All else is selfish nonsense.

Old 11-15-2019, 10:38 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,041,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
Not all of these decisions are made because of money.
Lol.

Let's say a anonymous benefactor steps forward & offers to support her financially until the end of her NATURAL life.

Do you think the family would be left in peace? Doubtful.

That only solves the first issue: What there is to lose by not killing her. It wouldn't take care of what there is to gain from killing her.

Now what if we changed the rules. Nobody steps forward to support her & her DOCTORS & HOSPITALS have to pay the FAMILY to transplant her organs?

They would drop this & let her live. No doubt about it. They neither know, nor do they care if she is in pain. They don't GAF about her potential or her progress. They are not God & that is not their child.

This 'Unplugging is noble' idea is an extremely abnormal 'opinion.' It's not noble & it's not a naturally formed opinion either but nobody ever says 'I think I just succumbed to propaganda' due to someone telling them that they did; so I'm fighting a losing battle.

There is a big advantage to be gained by shifting public opinion away from wanting to live towards wanting to die. I mean; once you think 'I don't want to live like that'; you will project that onto others. Public opinion will favor allowing others to profit from this child's death. How accommodating are we.

Old 11-15-2019, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
From what I've read the child has been living in the hospital all her life hooked onto machines. I believe the child is the hospitals child...the decisions the family would make are not based on reality. Unless they have that child in their possession, which they never had, nor will, it doesn't seem that it's their child.
I'm sorry this child must endure pain and suffering every day....and I think it's caregivers...the hospital...should be the ones listened to regarding her health and quality of life.....just my opinion.
It's the hospital's child? Wow; what luck! Bet they want more just like her! (gag)

And I haven't seen any opinions from any caregivers other than the parents. Just a bunch of doctors & lawyers & admins.

Old 11-15-2019, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Looks like the hospital is giving the mother a hard time according to Protect TX Fragile Kids Facebook page.

Protect TX Fragile Kids posted November 12 at 5:54 PM ·

I found a new article that was linked on the Protect TX Fragile Kids FB page. I agree with them, it should be 10 business days, not 10 days period. 4 of those 10 days are weekend days that the mother and/or the advocate groups helping her can't do anything those days, leaving 6 days for them to try to make arrangements. My question, why did they tell her on a Thursday and not a Monday? Things like this should be done on Mondays and given 10 business days.

I wonder how they're making out finding a new place to take her and if she's eligible for a heart transplant. I hate to see them pull the plug if she can get a heart transplant. This little girl isn't brain dead; but I'm sure they'd want her mother to donate organs...

Advocates Call For Change As Hospital Plans To Take Tinslee Lewis Off Life Support In 10 Days - November 12, 2019 at 4:42 pm
That group has really stepped up to advocate. Thank God for this.

Old 11-15-2019, 11:03 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,655,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Lol.

Let's say a anonymous benefactor steps forward & offers to support her financially until the end of her NATURAL life.

Do you think the family would be left in peace? Doubtful.

That only solves the first issue: What there is to lose by not killing her. It wouldn't take care of what there is to gain from killing her.

Now what if we changed the rules. Nobody steps forward to support her & her DOCTORS & HOSPITALS have to pay the FAMILY to transplant her organs?

They would drop this & let her live. No doubt about it. They neither know, nor do they care if she is in pain. They don't GAF about her potential or her progress. They are not God & that is not their child.

This 'Unplugging is noble' idea is an extremely abnormal 'opinion.' It's not noble & it's not a naturally formed opinion either but nobody ever says 'I think I just succumbed to propaganda' due to someone telling them that they did; so I'm fighting a losing battle.

There is a big advantage to be gained by shifting public opinion away from wanting to live towards wanting to die. I mean; once you think 'I don't want to live like that'; you will project that onto others. Public opinion will favor allowing others to profit from this child's death. How accommodating are we.
My husband and I made one of the hardest if not the hardest decision a parent will ever have to make and that was to remove our child from life support. Money had absolutely nothing to do with it.

Last edited by ccc123; 11-15-2019 at 11:15 PM..

Old 11-16-2019, 06:52 AM

6,458 posts, read 6,627,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Too bad they can't put everyone who is against stopping life support in a hospital bed and hook them up to a ventilator for a week. Give them a whole week to imagine living their whole life like that with NO HOPE of ever getting out of that bed.

This little girl is NEVER going to get better and her mother is in denial.....and those who encourage that denial, giving her false hope, are despicable.

Just because someone can be kept alive doesn't mean it is ethical to keep that person alive.
I agree. To me, artificially being kept alive is not BEING alive. Some people say doctors should not "play God" but I don't know of any god who created life support machines, or intended for humans to "live" that way permanently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events