Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2019, 01:54 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,758,516 times

Advertisements

...and after they identified him using DNA testing, he was arrested at the group home for the mentally ill where he was living.

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/...ck-stop-murder
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2019, 04:38 PM

4,005 posts, read 2,081,502 times
I don't get the idea behind someone being insane when they commit a crime, but we will treat them and when they are better we will try them for the crime...

Srsly?

Why didn't they just make him better before putting him in a group home?

He should be placed with the criminally insane if he is guilty. If he isn't, and is just a convenient scapegoat, they need to leave him alone.

Old 12-04-2019, 05:39 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,706,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
I don't get the idea behind someone being insane when they commit a crime, but we will treat them and when they are better we will try them for the crime...

Srsly?

Why didn't they just make him better before putting him in a group home?

He should be placed with the criminally insane if he is guilty. If he isn't, and is just a convenient scapegoat, they need to leave him alone.
That's not the issue in this case.

Legg has been determined to be currently mentally incompetent to stand trial, not that he was incompetent at the time of the 1992 murder.

Like it or not, a defendant must be mentally competent so as to make choices regarding his or her defense. Due process is a thing. And, yes, it's even a thing for those accused of horrific crimes.

Old 12-04-2019, 06:46 PM

4,005 posts, read 2,081,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
That's not the issue in this case.

Legg has been determined to be currently mentally incompetent to stand trial, not that he was incompetent at the time of the 1992 murder.

Like it or not, a defendant must be mentally competent so as to make choices regarding his or her defense. Due process is a thing. And, yes, it's even a thing for those accused of horrific crimes.
Okay but, would anyone dispute the idea that a serial killer is mentally ill? If not, then wouldn't it be reasonable to assume he was mentally ill when he was out serial killing?

Hasn't it been proven that psycho/sociopaths are not curable, and instead of improving with treatment only learn to become better psycho/sociopaths?

Due process is fine. I have no problem with it, and kind of like the idea for everyone, even those accused of horrific crimes, but my point in what you quoted is if he cant be cured, and will only become better at the bad behavior as it effects his victims, what makes anyone think they can treat him and make him suddenly competent?

Just because I am a psycho/sociopath (rhetorical and not me personally) I am wired to play the system - play people, learn to beat the clock. Afterall, I believe I am better than you mere mortals which is why I have no empathy for you and will torture you for my own amusement/experiment or whatever my sick mind thinks it is accomplishing.

Since I am hardwired to play the game, what would make anyone think I will agree to fall into your trap and appear competent?

In the long run, wouldn't it have been easier to treat me, if indeed I can be treated, long before I ever killed anyone?

Surely there were signs that something was wrong me. Psycho/sociopaths are very charismatic, and can make themselves very amiable among the mere mortals, but once you have encountered one on a lower level (hasn't killed yet) you know something is wrong with them. They make sure you know.

Now, if he is guilty, he definitely needs to be put away for good for the sake of all us mere mortals. It just seems wrong that society doesn't seem to give a rats ass until the mentally ill become a big problem.

Okay, Ill get off my soapbox now - just wanted to clarify where Im coming from.

Last edited by ComeCloser; 12-04-2019 at 06:55 PM..

Old 12-04-2019, 07:09 PM

17,579 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Quote:
Due process is fine. I have no problem with it, and kind of like the idea for everyone, even those accused of horrific crimes, but my point in what you quoted is if he cant be cured, and will only become better at the bad behavior as it effects his victims, what makes anyone think they can treat him and make him suddenly competent?

I'd feel much better if you liked the idea for everyone, rather than "kind of" like the idea for everyone.

I get your point here.. And it's very possible that trials and hearings will progress and it will be decided that he was mentally incompetent at the time of the killings, at which time he'd likely then be found guilty by reason of insanity and committed for an indeterminate period. But, this is a situation where the law has to work in the here and now.

Here and now, he was in a group home.. Likely that was not secure enough for someone to his level (Which they didn't know his level previously).. So, now he's been arrested and charged and.. should his condition improve down the road, the fact of whether or not he was mentally ill at the time of the killings can be explored.

I feel you're perhaps getting hung up a little too much on the legal dance that's happening, which I totally understand.. But, the one thing that cuts through all that is.. There's a process, and that process is the same for everyone.

So, yes, while there's a dance and that dance is costing money.. You can't cancel the dance. The show must go on.

And.. It's about the best example.. John Hinckley. He was found not guilty due to insanity.. And he walks a free man today and seems to be a functioning member of society. So.. At some level, things can change.

Old 12-05-2019, 05:45 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
...and after they identified him using DNA testing, he was arrested at the group home for the mentally ill where he was living.

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/...ck-stop-murder
I highly doubt he will stand trial for anything. He's much too delusional to do that. Kind of ironic that he lost his mind...

This article details the last few years of his mental illnesses. A one point he was making like his hand was a cell phone.

Dazed and Delusional: Retracing the recent years of suspected serial killer Samuel Legg III

Quote:
Legg is on medication for schizophrenia

In March 2016, Legg, who was in his late 40s at the time, jumped out of the bedroom window. The caregiver at the group home told the responding officer that Legg had been diagnosed with depression, anxiety, neurosyphilis and delusions, according to a police report.

Legg was described as having a severe mental illness, possibly suffering from neurosyphilis

Old 12-05-2019, 10:21 AM

50,768 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Okay but, would anyone dispute the idea that a serial killer is mentally ill? If not, then wouldn't it be reasonable to assume he was mentally ill when he was out serial killing?

Hasn't it been proven that psycho/sociopaths are not curable, and instead of improving with treatment only learn to become better psycho/sociopaths?

Just because I am a psycho/sociopath (rhetorical and not me personally) I am wired to play the system - play people, learn to beat the clock. Afterall, I believe I am better than you mere mortals which is why I have no empathy for you and will torture you for my own amusement/experiment or whatever my sick mind thinks it is accomplishing.

Since I am hardwired to play the game, what would make anyone think I will agree to fall into your trap and appear competent?

In the long run, wouldn't it have been easier to treat me, if indeed I can be treated, long before I ever killed anyone?

Surely there were signs that something was wrong me. Psycho/sociopaths are very charismatic, and can make themselves very amiable among the mere mortals, but once you have encountered one on a lower level (hasn't killed yet) you know something is wrong with them. They make sure you know.

Now, if he is guilty, he definitely needs to be put away for good for the sake of all us mere mortals. It just seems wrong that society doesn't seem to give a rats ass until the mentally ill become a big problem.

Okay, Ill get off my soapbox now - just wanted to clarify where Im coming from.

Yes but being found to be incompetent to stand trial requires much more than simply having a mental illness. Psychopath/sociopaths are usually intelligent, Bundy even acted as his own lawyer. They aren't detached from reality and they are capable of participating in their own defense.

Old 12-05-2019, 11:33 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,099,317 times
Neurosyphilis?

Yeah, that's a done deal. Treatable with antibiotics but it causes irreversible brain damage. He won't be competent. Wonder if he is also HIV positive?

Old 12-05-2019, 01:51 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
I don't care a whole lot whether they try him, execute him, or lock him up permanently in a mental hospital, as long as he is safely removed from society and warehoused in a manner that doesn't allow him the opportunity to kill again.

The best thing to do with him is to put him humanely to sleep, but because that can't be done without going through decades of extremely expensive court challenges, just put him into a nice securely locked mental hospital and don't let him out again.

Old 12-05-2019, 02:05 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Neurosyphilis?

Yeah, that's a done deal. Treatable with antibiotics but it causes irreversible brain damage. He won't be competent. Wonder if he is also HIV positive?
I hadn't looked it up until now.

Quote:
Neurosyphilis refers to infection of the central nervous system in a patient with syphilis and can occur at any stage. The majority of neurosyphilis cases have been reported in HIV-infected patients. Meningitis is the most common neurological presentation in early syphilis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events