Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2021, 08:14 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELMO45 View Post
Even for international travel it’ll last maybe one year. Once they realize the tourism industry is being destroyed countries will drop it so fast your head will spin off.
They won't drop it if infections and hospitalizations continue to crop up. Can you imagine the SE Asian countries that have done so well with coronavirus just dropping it? Or Australia/New Zealand?

Not a chance, unless virus essentially disappears.

"...Such passes could be essential to restarting the tourism industry, said Zurab Pololikashvili, secretary general of the United Nations World Tourism Organization.

“One key element vital for the restart of tourism is consistency and harmonization of rules and protocols regarding international travel,” he said in an email. “Evidence of vaccination, for example, through the coordinated introduction of what may be called ‘health passports’ can offer this. They can also eliminate the need for quarantine on arrival, a policy which is also standing in the way of the return of international tourism.”

Old 02-14-2021, 08:16 AM

50,715 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Yes, bought out by another chain salon.
It happens all the time in the corporate world, before Covid as well. I can’t even count how many therapy companies I’ve worked for they got bought out or merged with other therapy companies over the years. Most of the time they try to keep the old staff if possible as it’s easier than starting from scratch. So maybe the new chain will keep her on.

Old 02-14-2021, 08:52 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
If I were a customer of that salon, I would’ve found another salon by now.
The place I used to go to announced after they reopened in June that masks would be optional ( no state mask mandate here) for both employees and customers. I opted to go elsewhere, and it seems others did too as they permanently closed in the fall. They had been at that location for 20 years and had always been busy prior to COVID. I don't think they realized how many people wouldn't want to sit in a chair for an hour or more with an unmasked stylist inches from their head. Even if you requested a masked stylist, there's no guarantee the stylists and customers on either side of you will be masked.

Old 02-14-2021, 09:18 AM

88,511 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I think that’s cheap too. I pay $95 for a trim and partial highlights (foils) and that’s much cheaper than the last salon I patronized! My salon doubled the space between set ups and put up plastic barriers between them, I feel okay going there. They are still doing good business.
I was paying my stylist $60 for the red-gold roots every seek weeks, and more when I needed a haircut, but she's a friend's daughter and I was getting a family discount. I'd get it trimmed/shaped every three months or so. It was a lot cheaper to have her do it in her setup in her mom's basement than it was to go to the shop where she worked.

Then COVID came along, and we were in the shutdown, and it was July before I felt safe enough to get my hair done. By then I realized that my hair, always a combination of mouse brown and elephant grey, was now all elephant, so I had her lift out all the old color, put in a silver rinse, and give me a good haircut. It was $200, but I no longer have a stripe on top of my head.

I haven't had it cut since then and I look like a long-white-haired witch, but that's kind of cool. It's a look I intend to cultivate. I'll get it cut again when I return to civilization, but it's freeing not to have to worry about roots anymore. A silver lining of the pandemic.

Old 02-14-2021, 09:25 AM

50,715 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I was paying my stylist $60 for the red-gold roots every seek weeks, and more when I needed a haircut, but she's a friend's daughter and I was getting a family discount. I'd get it trimmed/shaped every three months or so. It was a lot cheaper to have her do it in her setup in her mom's basement than it was to go to the shop where she worked.

Then COVID came along, and we were in the shutdown, and it was July before I felt safe enough to get my hair done. By then I realized that my hair, always a combination of mouse brown and elephant grey, was now all elephant, so I had her lift out all the old color, put in a silver rinse, and give me a good haircut. It was $200, but I no longer have a stripe on top of my head.

I haven't had it cut since then and I look like a long-white-haired witch, but that's kind of cool. It's a look I intend to cultivate. I'll get it cut again when I return to civilization, but it's freeing not to have to worry about roots anymore. A silver lining of the pandemic.
My hair is so thin it looks awful without regular cuts. The main reason I get the highlights is to add body. I paid a lot more for the service in Ocean City than I do here though. Despite the fact that there are at least a dozen salons in that very small town.

Old 02-14-2021, 09:37 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

I'm envious... but not ready to go gray. I use the mail company Madison Reed and the color is pretty darn good. I once used their highlight kit, and it turned out pretty good.

Speaking of which... I have to do my roots today.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-14-2021, 10:13 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
Still surreal. Fear of grocery shopping, sending kids to school, haircuts, crowds, travel, restaurants, loosing jobs, dentist appointments, etc. All can & have resulted in actual bodily harm. Death is not an impossibility. That's been the last 15 years. I didn't notice until everyone else had to lose it & then complain about it for just one year. One person's salvation is another's doom. Surreal.

Old 02-14-2021, 10:16 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,114,245 times
Good news. Utah state rep, Christofferson is back at work, after 9 days in ICU for Covid. He is working from home, while he is on oxygen support.

https://www.deseret.com/utah/2021/2/...christofferson

Old 02-14-2021, 10:36 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Where in Brooklyn? Williamsburg area? DiBlasio had a big problem there last year. We have a local outdoor Amish Farmers Market around here which runs May through November. They don't wear masks. A lot of customers there don't either. Maybe because it is outside?
no, south brooklyn. these arent orthodox/hassific jews. they are russians, mostly relatively young.

we have an orthodox jewish employee, older guy with health problems who got the rona in december. went on a ventilator and is still recovering. the expectation is that he probably got it at temple, he goes every day (went, im not sure what he is doing now)

Old 02-14-2021, 10:42 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
They probably have already, hence the no worries.
sure, a lot of people have had it and probably are less concerned. they also may be under the impression that since they are young and healthy, they would be fine (which is probably true). a friend of mine tells me his office has a mask requirement but nobody follows it.

in my office, we have had strict mask requirements and social distancing rules from the beginning. we are also about 25% capacity and keep an empty desk between everyone. we have still been reported by employees who either got the rona or have been asked to work in the office more and dont want to. its bs since we take the rules seriously and anyone who gets it would only be from breaking the rules and management not seeing. one girl blamed us and she took a maskless 1 hour car ride with another employee. we had another recently make some claims of not social distancing because she didnt want to come into the office to work.

whatever someone may think of my attitude about rona, at work i provide an example to employees of what we are supposed to do. if i get ronafied, it will be from my personal life not my work life (and nobody at work would get it from me).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events