Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2020, 05:26 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,053,397 times

Advertisements

After Elvis died, God and everyone used his likeness on everything.

That's when you could buy Velvet Elvis paintings on roadside stands.

In a nutshell, Priscilla Presley hired the meanest, most bad ass lawyer who chased down every single deck of cards, button, Velvet Elvis and fined everyone and cleaned up the market.

As a result, she was able to take his estate from a paltry five million dollars to about a hundred million.

This is the condensed version from what I remember.

Sadly, his daughter Lisa Marie, seems to have squandered and sold the majority of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2020, 09:35 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,514,221 times
In this day and age, when copying, or duplicating a movie or music CD, its almost useless to think that some will not try to profit from it! Just look at how easy it is to clone a DVD, or music CD.

Sorry to tell ya Disney, there are pirated copies of nearly all your movies all over the internet!

Old 02-05-2020, 11:19 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,265,121 times
I wonder if anyone actually saw what the event was. I did, I checked the FB page and found the flier from before the event occurred. It was a Dad’s Club rather than the actual PTA. As a PTA mom I know how desperately we want dads to get involved so I’m sure the PTA was thrilled but... most likely the dads didn’t have knowledge of the rules the PTA is familiar with. The event was billed as a Movie Night rather than the Parents Night Out it actually was. For $15.00 parents got childcare, food, and entertainment for their child while they got a night off. Had the dads sold it that way and never mentioned what movie was played they might have been okay. My kid’s school did a Frozen event but charged only for food and drinks. The PTA has bylaws in place that help guide us, former Parliamentarian here, the dads probably never even considered Disney would care.

It’s hard because it’s usually a tiny group who do everything with little thanks from the parents who benefit but don’t help. This makes me like Disney even less than I already did.

Old 02-06-2020, 03:13 AM

30,564 posts, read 18,061,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Copyright is not an obscure rule.

Does anyone remember the FBI warnings that used to be at the beginning of every movie? They probably stopped including them because they knew most people ignored it or fast forwarded (or maybe they're still there and I just haven't noticed because I don't use physical media anymore?). But if the warning is gone, that doesn't mean that the laws changed or went away. They should consider themselves fortunate that the fine was so low. It could have been much much worse
Yep. I know that many people violate copyright law and get away with it, but you can't cry foul if and when you actually are caught and fined. The PTA took a risk. Given the paltry fine, they probably still made out with a profit.

Old 02-06-2020, 03:23 AM

609 posts, read 346,996 times
I agree with the fine. Filming animals is abuse. Go PITA!

Old 02-06-2020, 04:33 AM

23,838 posts, read 33,404,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
This is crazy. How did Disney find out about it? A parent must have called them. Who would do such a thing?

The PTA was wrong. Ignorance of the law is no excuse. But come on. Disney has nothing better to do than to hassle a PTA for $250?

Yes, Disney has the law on their side, but it's not like the PTA showed the movie before it came out in theaters. The movie is appropriate for children.

I hope the PTA just pays the fine because they're screwed if they fight this.

But that being said, I give a big Bronx cheer to Disney. Also to the whistle blower who had nothing more constructive to do than notify Disney of the "huge offense".
I'm also curious how Disney found out.

Have to say I'm learning a lot about copyright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
After Elvis died, God and everyone used his likeness on everything.

That's when you could buy Velvet Elvis paintings on roadside stands.

In a nutshell, Priscilla Presley hired the meanest, most bad ass lawyer who chased down every single deck of cards, button, Velvet Elvis and fined everyone and cleaned up the market.

As a result, she was able to take his estate from a paltry five million dollars to about a hundred million.

This is the condensed version from what I remember.

Sadly, his daughter Lisa Marie, seems to have squandered and sold the majority of that.
I remember Priscilla, didn't know most of his estate is gone. According to Google- Lisa Marie's reported net worth is just $16 million, this after she squandered her father's $100 million fortune on bad investments. Lisa Marie Presley is suing Barry Siegel she's accusing him of squandering her $100 million Elvis fortune, he counter-sued her for $800,000. saying she spent it. I'm not seeing that it's been settled.

Quote:
However, Lisa doesn’t blame herself for these financial troubles. In 2018, she filed a lawsuit against her former business manager Barry Siegel and his company, Provident Financial Management, for allegedly squandering her father’s money and leaving her with nothing but $14,000. In the court documents, obtained by the Daily Mail, she claims Barry was being “reckless and negligent” with her funds and making her invest in American Idol‘s holding company, which went bankrupt.

“Had Barry disclosed the trust’s true financial condition to Lisa and restricted spending to the trust’s ‘income’ rather than its principal assets, Lisa would have lived comfortably on an annual budget of between $1.5 and $2 million per year, after taxes,” the documents read. “[But] Barry repeatedly led Lisa to believe she was in ‘good shape’ with her finances.”

Old 02-06-2020, 06:13 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,546,425 times
i always thought owning a proof-of-purchase u.p.c. was license to view with friends.

Old 02-06-2020, 06:22 AM

16,390 posts, read 12,405,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
i always thought owning a proof-of-purchase u.p.c. was license to view with friends.
You charge your friends to watch a movie with you?

Old 02-06-2020, 06:31 AM

35,522 posts, read 17,818,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
It is. You purchase the item to view it in your home with friends.

You don't view it at a public school and charge $15 per viewer, making 800 bucks.

Old 02-06-2020, 06:34 AM

16,390 posts, read 12,405,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I'm also curious how Disney found out.
They very likely have a team in their legal department whose job it is to search the internet for copyright violations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events