Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2020, 11:02 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,247,148 times

Advertisements

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...-schooler-goes

Quote:

A video showing a school officer threatening to shoot a student who tried to leave school property in Florida is going viral after the student’s mother uploaded it to Facebook.

Nedra Miller uploaded the video of the interaction, which she obtained from the Pasco County Sheriff's Office, between the officer, a school discipline assistant and her 17-year-old son. It has been viewed 38,000 times and shared 716 times.

Her son, William, is heard telling the officer and school assistant that he has permission to leave, and they tell him he is truant.

Resource officer and school administrator stop a 17 year old on his way to an orthodontist appt and threaten to shoot him if he attempts to leave. His mother claims she notified the school. The student was suspended and then expelled with no consequences for the officer who pulled his gun on an unarmed teen at school.

This is unacceptable. This is a teenager. Even if he was leaving without permission, its not a dangerous crime. Its just truancy, and if the idiot cop shoots him then he will definitely miss school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2020, 11:10 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
Someone has a bit of a powertrip and shouldn't have a gun!

Old 02-10-2020, 11:17 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,290,988 times
Pulling a gun on a student like that is unacceptable. I don't care if he is truant. Theses school officials and particularly the school resource office need charges filed against them for threatening the welfare of a minor.

Old 02-10-2020, 12:11 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times
For what reason was the kid disciplined & expelled? The article doesn't say, and I suspect there are some details omitted. Not getting the whole story is becoming the norm, unfortunately.

Old 02-10-2020, 12:15 PM

15,251 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Did anyone actually watch the video?

The mouthy teenager was behind the wheel of a truck, which he turned towards the officer and drove closer. The officer was within the law by telling him to stop, pull over and put it in park. In the video, he's holding a radio, not a gun.

Much ado about nothing. Apparently "Mom" thinks this justified her outrage. Yawn. I'm so tired of FB crybabies.

Old 02-10-2020, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
For what reason was the kid disciplined & expelled? The article doesn't say, and I suspect there are some details omitted. Not getting the whole story is becoming the norm, unfortunately.
I couldnt find the original story that i read on my phone, it was the Daily Mail but that article said he was suspended then expelled for truancy, hurling profanities, and calling a school administrator (a white woman, student is also white) the N-word ( he vehemently denies that and in the video you can see him denying saying that and saying they are being racist for accusing him of it.

His mother agrees that he was acting immaturely and disrespectfully, but that the reaction of the school officer was excessive and dangerous. She says the school policy for truancy is to lose your ability to drive to school, not be threatened with a weapon. He was not a threat to the officer and therefore the officers reaction was not appropriate.

Old 02-10-2020, 12:20 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
It would've taken, what? 4 minutes for the resource officer to call the attendance office, to make sure the kid had permission to leave campus?

Old 02-10-2020, 12:21 PM

15,251 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
For what reason was the kid disciplined & expelled?
For profanity. For defying authority. For refusing to get one of his parents on the phone to authorize his leaving campus, so also for truancy. The woman staffer said he called her the N word before the video started, which the kid denied.

Refusing to get a parent on the phone was just weapons-grade stupidity.

Old 02-10-2020, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Did anyone actually watch the video?

The mouthy teenager was behind the wheel of a truck, which he turned towards the officer and drove closer. The officer was within the law by telling him to stop, pull over and put it in park. In the video, he's holding a radio, not a gun.

Much ado about nothing. Apparently "Mom" thinks this justified her outrage. Yawn. I'm so tired of FB crybabies.
I did watch the video and the police officer threatens to shoot him when he tried to manuever his truck around the golf cart blocking his way. He was being held without reason by an officer threatening to shoot him when he refused to be held. He was mouthy and disrespectful but so were the officer and the school administrator. He had the right to leave the school even if he didnt have an excuse. Its a school not a prison camp. They cant hold him hostage against his will.

Old 02-10-2020, 12:23 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,290,988 times
Here is the Daily Mail story... https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ve-school.html

I watched the video and agree the student was immature, but that administrator and school resource officer escalated the situation. They did not act professionally. We didn't see the beginning of the fight. Did the kid call the woman the racist name? Or did she make that up? The mom needs to file a criminal complaint.

DM says the student was just dropping a friend off at school who had missed the bus and was on the way to the appointment. At my children's high school, the kid's could leave even if he had been inside if the bell hasn't rang. He can also leave if he has not come inside.

Last edited by Sarahsez; 02-10-2020 at 12:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events