Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2020, 05:02 PM

2,284 posts, read 1,583,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I'll be shocked if they try him as an adult. He can't know that stabbing her means she would die, never to be seen again. My grandson is 6, he doesn't understand death is final
I don't think we can validate that he doesn't fully understand unless we know his mental history.

We'll learn more if he's played violent video games, watched TV dramas with stabbed people coming back to life through special effects, or about violent people in his life.

Since they charged him, it doesn't appear he is a mentally challenged 9 year old.

Many kids know at age 6 and up know that stabbing someone can be fatal.

At 9 years old, there's kids joining gangs and wanting to be like someone they know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2020, 05:06 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
I don't think we can validate that he doesn't fully understand unless we know his mental history.

We'll learn more if he's played violent video games, watched TV dramas with stabbed people coming back to life through special effects, or about violent people in his life.

Since they charged him, it doesn't appear he is a mentally challenged 9 year old.

Many kids know at age 6 and up know that stabbing someone can be fatal.

At 9 years old, there's kids joining gangs and wanting to be like someone they know.
But what he told the police is that he could not stop obsessive thoughts telling him to kill her. Sounds much more like a mental illness than a behavioral issue to me. Mentally challenged is not the same as mentally ill. He will be evaluated by a psychiatrist I’m sure.

Old 02-13-2020, 10:04 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,370,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Parents refusing to recognize mental illness in their children.
Whoa!!!!

How the hell are parents supposed to recognize mental illness in their children? You're way out of line with that remark.

Old 02-13-2020, 10:07 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,370,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I'll be shocked if they try him as an adult. He can't know that stabbing her means she would die, never to be seen again. My grandson is 6, he doesn't understand death is final
If you have a grandchild who is 6 you must have a child who reached the age of 9, and you know there is a huge difference between 6 and 9.

Old 02-14-2020, 03:51 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
If you have a grandchild who is 6 you must have a child who reached the age of 9, and you know there is a huge difference between 6 and 9.
Not even a little bit as huge as the difference between 9 and 18 (adulthood).

Old 02-14-2020, 04:10 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,083,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Parents refusing to recognize mental illness in their children. Parents unable to supervise their children. Parents unable to discipline their children.

But don't worry, the primary goal of all the agencies involved will be family reunification, so that this poor child can return home.... to do it again.

indeed put this kid in a lock down facility where he is a danger to no one except another physco . can you imagine at 18 what he is going to be like ? yes parents are not disciplining their children these days and this is the result . God help us all

Old 02-14-2020, 04:12 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,083,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Whoa!!!!

How the hell are parents supposed to recognize mental illness in their children? You're way out of line with that remark.

oh come on really ? you know that parents know when something is not right with a child give me a break . are you a parent ?

Old 02-14-2020, 04:37 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
This may be controversial, but I seriously doubt that someone like that can be saved. Too bad he can't be locked away for life.

Old 02-14-2020, 05:17 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,560,783 times
Not meaning to sound glib but I'm starting to feel as if "mental illness" is the current go to, in fashion excuse to get away with anything.

Could it be that the kid grew up in a violent household where he witness violence as the end result of every argument?

Old 02-14-2020, 06:20 AM

2,284 posts, read 1,583,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
But what he told the police is that he could not stop obsessive thoughts telling him to kill her. Sounds much more like a mental illness than a behavioral issue to me. Mentally challenged is not the same as mentally ill. He will be evaluated by a psychiatrist I’m sure.
Okay. I guess they'll charge him and recommend putting him into a mental illness facility?
is there anything that can influence someone that young to have these thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events