Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2020, 07:39 AM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times

Advertisements

So what the consensus seems to be is that he is (or will be) a cold-blooded murderer or someone with very serious mental issues?

If he has serious mental issues, wouldn't that diagnosis preclude him from being charged with attempted murder, or not? (I don't know the nuances of the law in this regard. Would he need to be charged before a plea of not guilty by reason of insanity can be made?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2020, 07:43 AM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
oh come on really ? you know that parents know when something is not right with a child give me a break . are you a parent ?
If a young child tells about an imaginary friend and/or tells lies, how would they know how much of that is "normal" and when it is a sign of something seriously wrong? I think it is only normal and right that parents want to think the best of their child and if something is wrong, I think a certain amount of denial takes place.

And IF the boy was home-schooled (I don't know whether he was or not), there might not be any other adult around to raise serious concerns.

Btw, I looked for a more in-depth article, but I could not find one that gave many more details than what was concerned in the OP. If anyone has one, would you please post the link?

Old 02-14-2020, 08:08 AM

50,717 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
indeed put this kid in a lock down facility where he is a danger to no one except another physco . can you imagine at 18 what he is going to be like ? yes parents are not disciplining their children these days and this is the result . God help us all
It’s ridiculous to think this has anything to do with the child not being disciplined.

Old 02-14-2020, 08:38 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,244,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
Okay. I guess they'll charge him and recommend putting him into a mental illness facility?
is there anything that can influence someone that young to have these thoughts?
Schizophrenia often results in voices. Disassociative identity disorder (formerly multiple personality disorder).
Antisocial personality disorder (sociopath and psychopath).

These are all legitimate mental illnesses that could have caused this little boy to do this. He may have felt the impulse to do that action without any cognizance of what it actually meant.

Additionally, mental illness deserves and needs to be treated in a clinical setting. The reason they dont sentence mentally ill people and children the same way they do average adults is the lack of understanding of consequences. A 9 year old knows that murder is wrong but he may not have understood his actions in that context and what the consequences of the action is, consequences not limited to jail time. Consequences such as breaking his mothers heart, actually killing his sister etc etc. These are important consequences when discussing the motivation of a child.

Old 02-14-2020, 10:12 AM

9,368 posts, read 6,967,418 times
life with no parole let him rot for 70 years.

Old 02-14-2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
life with no parole let him rot for 70 years.
You can’t give a 9 year old life. Not even adults get life sentence for attempted murder. How about we wait for the psych evaluation before we shoot him, can we do that?

Old 02-14-2020, 10:24 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,244,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
You can’t give a 9 year old life. Not even adults get life sentence for attempted murder. How about we wait for the psych evaluation before we shoot him, can we do that?
I KNOW in my brain that he did something horrific and i cant imagine what went through his mothers head when she discovered it. But i also KNOW that hes a child. And we need to wait and see. Children dont usually lose their minds and kill their siblings. There is much more to learn.

Old 02-14-2020, 10:33 AM
KCZ

4,663 posts, read 3,658,309 times
The child said that he wanted his sister to die, and he's had a psych eval. I expect those two things heavily influenced the prosecution decisions.

Old 02-14-2020, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
The child said that he wanted his sister to die, and he's had a psych eval. I expect those two things heavily influenced the prosecution decisions.
He didn’t just say he wanted her to die he said he had obsessive thoughts telling him she had to die and that he couldn’t stop them. I’m quite sure it will turn out to be schizophrenia or similar mental disease. I’m also curious if he was being given meds for ADD or something else that could have triggered a psychotic break.

“In the arrest affidavit, detectives said the boy claimed “he tried to get it out of his head, but could not."

Old 02-14-2020, 11:31 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,181,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
What an awful story.

This is a child who is mentally ill. He was open and honest with law enforcement, although it really incriminated him. It's interesting, his clarity. This thought came into his head two days ago and he wasn't able to get rid of the thought.

I wonder, if we'll be able to hear more about his history. It may well be that until very recently, he wasn't having these murderous ideations, and no one could have predicted this, not even his mother.

There are medical conditions that can give children insane thought patterns, and OCD, very quickly.
Sounds like sociopathy to me. Very sad situation for all involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events