Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2020, 05:42 PM

14,420 posts, read 11,871,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Our schools were closing down - year after year - because of flu cases.
Wow! I've never heard of a school around here closing because of flu, although I googled it and apparently a few private schools in CA closed for flu last year (2018-19 season). The same article gave a list of states which had public school closures, and all of them except Idaho were in the Midwest and South. I wonder why it was so much more severe there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2020, 05:59 PM

11,413 posts, read 7,856,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
The danger in this sort of thinking is that you wrongly believe your shots will protect yourself and others around you but you still have gotten sick.

And then you immediately go after a nurse who isn't getting sick.
The nurse you’re defending admits he/she wears a mask when interacting with patients. Maybe that has a little something to do with he/she not getting sick.

And nowhere have I said a flu shot is 100% preventive. I’ve said it offers some protection (this season about 45%). I practice healthy habits like hand washing too, but I’m not claiming that’s going to keep me from getting flu either.

Old 02-25-2020, 06:03 PM

37,289 posts, read 41,523,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
No but as I told you, I found it somewhere else.

For the third time, SIDS was not listed as a cause of death before 1973.

CODs that could be SIDS, if it were called SIDS then?
Postnatal asphyxia and atelectasis
Immaturity, unqualified (Many SIDS babies are preemies)
Accidents
Immaturity with mention of any other subsidiary condition

Please post a medically verified source of 3000 deaths annually from vaccines (not VAERS).
She thinks all SIDS deaths are caused by vaccines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Sigh. I'm not doubting your personal experience. I'm only giving my own personal experience. And I wasn't a senior and frankly, I didn't work with any seniors when I was working. I was probably the oldest person in the office!

I never said that the "only way to immunity is through a vaccination" by the way. So I won't be telling that to anyone - I never said it in the first place.
No one has ever told her that. Obviously you can become immune by having the disease. The difference is the disease makes you sick, sometimes deathly ill, and sometimes just dead.

For most people the worst thing a vaccine does is cause a sore arm and perhaps a day or two of low grade fever and muscle aches.

Old 02-25-2020, 06:07 PM

8,941 posts, read 6,983,256 times
I'd be in favor of cracking down on anti-vax posts. We have anti-vaxers because people are gullible, they feel better in echo chambers, and they think their random opinions are better than actual knowledge. That's fine except they're killing innocent people too.

Old 02-25-2020, 06:38 PM

26,661 posts, read 13,830,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
"Many of the criticisms in the new report seem to be levelled at trial design. It may well be that trials can be done better in the future. But we should be careful about the message that is now sent to doctors and to the public. Influenza virus infections can lead to death. We have only two drugs with which we can currently treat influenza patients and there is some data to suggest they can save lives. It would be awful if, in trying to make a point about the way clinical trials are conducted and reported, the review ended up discouraging doctors from using the only effective anti-influenza drugs we currently have. This might be particularly important in a pandemic before a vaccine is available."

The Cochrane review:

https://www.cochranelibrary.com/cdsr....pub4/abstract

"Selection criteria:

Randomised, placebo‐controlled trials on adults and children with confirmed or suspected exposure to naturally occurring influenza."

By excluding information from observational studies, the review is inherently biased.
Like I said, it is not ALL critical. Most of it is it is not.

Here is another that is favorable
Quote:
“This is a ground-breaking review. Since important studies have never been published, the reviewers have had to go back to clinical trial reports comprising over 100,000 pages: the effort to obtain these is a saga in itself. The poor quality of these reports clearly made extracting relevant data a massive struggle, with many pragmatic assumptions having to be made, but the final statistical methods are standard and have been used in hundreds of Cochrane reviews. Let’s hope that in future high-quality data can be routinely obtained and this type of review becomes unnecessary.”

Old 02-25-2020, 07:22 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,337,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Wow! I've never heard of a school around here closing because of flu, although I googled it and apparently a few private schools in CA closed for flu last year (2018-19 season). The same article gave a list of states which had public school closures, and all of them except Idaho were in the Midwest and South. I wonder why it was so much more severe there!
I don't know but it was has been severe here in Texas during flu season for years.

From 2018, for example:
Quote:
Alabama, Arkansas, Idaho, Illinois, Michigan, Missouri, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas and Virginia.
https://www.newsweek.com/flu-season-...-states-788942

But the CDC map shows California as being a state severely affected in 2020:
https://www.xofluza.com/patient/abou...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Old 02-25-2020, 07:23 PM

37,289 posts, read 41,523,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Like I said, it is not ALL critical. Most of it is it is not.
Most of it is. It certainly counters your contention that all Cochrane reviews are the "gold standard".

Typical:

"If another pandemic came tomorrow, and the government had no drug with which to treat thousands of influenza infected patients, I imagine there would be a public outcry. It may be that we can do better at designing clinical trials, and at licensing the next era of drugs but this will take time and meanwhile, this new report, taken alongside a lot of other data collected in different settings, does not convince me that the risks of taking Tamiflu or Relenza would outweigh the benefits.”

Old 02-25-2020, 07:28 PM

26,661 posts, read 13,830,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Most of it is. It certainly counters your contention that all Cochrane reviews are the "gold standard".

Typical:

"If another pandemic came tomorrow, and the government had no drug with which to treat thousands of influenza infected patients, I imagine there would be a public outcry. It may be that we can do better at designing clinical trials, and at licensing the next era of drugs but this will take time and meanwhile, this new report, taken alongside a lot of other data collected in different settings, does not convince me that the risks of taking Tamiflu or Relenza would outweigh the benefits.”
It is a total of six people commenting and most of it is not bad at all. Why are you so obsessed with trying to discredit credible research?

Old 02-25-2020, 07:29 PM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 7 days ago)

35,940 posts, read 18,238,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Flu is not necessarily more severe there. Schools may have a different threshold of closing.

For example, in the south, schools will close with a tiny bit of snow on the ground, where northern schools just soldier on through it.

That doesn't mean that southern states have more snow than northern states.

Old 02-25-2020, 07:29 PM

14,477 posts, read 14,439,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I understand all of that, I am just saying that the answer is not clear cut. 30% to 50% of high risk were vaccinated, that is the messy part, we don’t know if just one of those people were in the 50% category or three or 20.

Again, better then nothing, but still a bit of a mess. And yes, my info came straight from the study.
Is there some underlying point here? You're arguing what the data means, but to what end?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events