Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2020, 06:19 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
After reading this I searched but found no information on a new stimulus package. Can you please elaborate?
She's ozzy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2020, 06:56 AM

11,781 posts, read 5,795,007 times
Quote:
Or maybe just maybe they find themselves out of work, a family to feed, car payments and they have no idea when or if they will return to work.
No different than thousands of others in the same position. Are you for just letting people not pay their bills just because they don't feel they have a moral obligation and many times a contractional obligation? Heck - all of us would like to have the money we make to do with as we please.

I've been there with my husband out of work - 2 small infants and having to struggle to pay the bills but never did we ever think to reneg on an obligation. We made partial payments after discussing it with the drs, credit card companies ect. We cut costs so as to pay our creditors first - if that 1/2 gal of ice cream we bought was a treat - we did without.

I can't not believe people think this is acceptable.

Old 03-31-2020, 06:59 AM

11,781 posts, read 5,795,007 times
Quote:
Oh I was not in support of the strike. Just pushing back at the idea that people in this dire economic time are buying $5 coffees at Starbucks. People who can't pay their rent in the vast majority of cases are facing real economic hardship right now.
Sorry but I see people right now doing just that - they are waiting for the stimulous checks. Heck my husband works for a company that is considered essential. The workers have already approached the owner asking him when he was going to lay them off you they can get full pay for sitting at home until this is over. People hear what they want to hear and believe what they want to believe. People like this do not think they have to make any cuts to their regular routines because their income won't change.

Old 03-31-2020, 07:17 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
They're all broke from hoarding food and paper products, now they can't pay rent...

Old 03-31-2020, 08:44 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,452,265 times
Here in Canada....

The Federal Government has directed that all business operators ( of any size ) are able to apply for wage subsidies up to 75 percent of their normal payroll if their business income has dropped by more than 30 percent in the last 60 days. Employees will be paid up to $4000 a month for the next 4 months ( depending on their annual income up to $58,000 a year ) . Employers can ( if it is possible ) top up the wages to the normal net amount per pay period for their workers.

People who are renters will be able to postpone monthly payments for up to 6 months, and there will be no evictions during that time period. Student loans will be put on hold for 6 months ( but will still need to be paid this is not a loan forgiveness program).

Those who would not normally qualify for Employment Insurance ( which is a nationwide Federal Government program ) will be able to apply, to a online application system, and get a bi weekly payment of $960 for a total of 6 months. The time to get approval is ten days.

Business operations that have been ordered shut ( declared as being non essential under the Quarantine Act ) will be forgiven for utility bills, rent and insurance payments for up to 6 months. This is in an attempt to support them until the epidemic subsides. Charities and not for profits can also apply for financial aid from the Federal or Provincial governments to allow them to continue to offer their services to the public, such as Kids Help Phone, YMCA, Red Cross, women's and kids shelters, and services for the homeless.

On the other side of the coin. People and business operators who break the laws under the Quarantine Act WILL be fined and in some cases hauled off to jail . The minimum fine for a individual person is $750, to be paid on the spot in front of a Judge in a empty courtroom. For a business owner, the minimum fine is $5000 paid that day in front of a Judge, and published in the national media as a scoff law.

Yes we are serious. We know that this will cost us a huge amount in years to come, but what is the alternative ?

Old 03-31-2020, 09:20 AM

3,515 posts, read 7,783,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
There's always gotta be people that want to game the system for their own selfish needs.

If you signed an agreement for rent, then pay the darned thing, don't use current situations to skirt your responsibilities. Don't just decide one day to join a 'revolution' to stop paying rent. That's ludicrous.
While the government has halted evictions, I highly doubt they will be able to just waive / forgive rent owed. lawyers will be lining up to file lawsuits against the government on the property owners behalf. Once evictions start to be enforced again, i think you'll find a spike in homelessness, after all why would i rent to you when you never paid the last guy your rented from?

Old 03-31-2020, 10:04 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
There's always gotta be people that want to game the system for their own selfish needs.

If you signed an agreement for rent, then pay the darned thing, don't use current situations to skirt your responsibilities. Don't just decide one day to join a 'revolution' to stop paying rent. That's ludicrous.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/rent-stri...170345369.html
I just heard yesterday that residents of our community are going around with a petition to not pay rent tomorrow. While I understand that some people are hurting, these communities still have bills to pay, staff to pay, and utilities and services to pay. Where do they think this money will come from ?

A lot of people are taking advantage of this crisis needlessly.

Old 03-31-2020, 10:10 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I just heard yesterday that residents of our community are going around with a petition to not pay rent tomorrow. While I understand that some people are hurting, these communities still have bills to pay, staff to pay, and utilities and services to pay. Where do they think this money will come from ?

A lot of people are taking advantage of this crisis needlessly.
We are witnessing firsthand, the collapse of the US economy...this is how it looks! It will be a lot like dominoes, people will stop paying rent and other bills (utilities too).

This is only the beginning, going to get MUCH worse before it gets better.

Old 03-31-2020, 01:08 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
How in the world can a place that charges so much, and from the looks of the ones where I been, a pretty good crowd, not even have enough money to pay rent after such a short time?
I may be the only person in the US who has never visited a CF and I like cheesecake.

As I understand it, most restaurants need to achieve at least 80% butts in the seats to cover costs. Now they,like most restaurants, are limited to curb side pick up.

CF has expanded aggressively and globally. No clue how leveraged they are.

There was a huge sell- off this month and stock lost 50% of its value. Status was just upgraded to a “buy”.

Old 03-31-2020, 01:29 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,387,704 times
There was a situation in NYC where the landlord converted an apartment house to condominium. The residents were told "buy your apartment or get out".

That could become common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events