Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2020, 10:11 PM

3,149 posts, read 2,695,105 times

Advertisements

Italy new cases dropped by day 13 of their lockdown. We are at day 15 and our new cases are skyrocketing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2020, 10:14 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
They should send everyone masks and a full treatment dose of hydroclorquinine and Z packs and a home test kit for cv to have at home that they can use if they get it. Suggest social distancing, and elderly or those with preexisting conditions limit outside exposure, and send everyone back to work.
That could be accomplished in a month.
Where would they get the masks? If there were enough masks, they'd be in the stores, where people can buy them.

Old 04-01-2020, 10:17 PM

8,478 posts, read 4,724,709 times
Long-term plan? No, I doubt it. The sitch is too fluid and not enough real data to know where to go next. You’ve seen how quickly this has morphed, it’s going to keep doing so for a while. Whatever long-term plan anybody’s sketched out is revised every day.

Old 04-01-2020, 10:21 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Italy new cases dropped by day 13 of their lockdown. We are at day 15 and our new cases are skyrocketing.
I don't have any faith in the US healthcare policies and the system. We already ignored months of preventive measures that could've been implemented back in Jan-Feb. Having worked at a healthcare provider I know the US healthcare system prefers having more sick people than giving people health. Instead of helping people stay healthy they prefer repeat patients. We spend more money on providing patients with tests and billing than creating vaccines and treatments. All these big pharmas claim there's no money to be made in cures only long term prescription meds.

The same way with how the government response by telling people not to use face masks and rely on 6' social distance which has been proven ineffective. Either Anthony Fauci is lying or completely ignorant of new research.

The only path I see with the US is that many will die and herd immunity is the only solution and people will eventually venture out and get sick. By the time a vaccine is released, it is likely that 70% of the population is already exposed to the virus which would make the vaccine unnecessary for most.

Old 04-01-2020, 10:53 PM

3,072 posts, read 1,299,703 times
Quote:
It’s because they were already testing correctly. We weren’t and are only now starting too. Chances are what our actual peak was will not be what we see in the data. We might see our case peak was 4/10 of 4/15 but reality is the peak probably already happened. We just didn’t have the testing to know

Old 04-01-2020, 10:55 PM

3,072 posts, read 1,299,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I don't have any faith in the US healthcare policies and the system. We already ignored months of preventive measures that could've been implemented back in Jan-Feb. Having worked at a healthcare provider I know the US healthcare system prefers having more sick people than giving people health. Instead of helping people stay healthy they prefer repeat patients. We spend more money on providing patients with tests and billing than creating vaccines and treatments. All these big pharmas claim there's no money to be made in cures only long term prescription meds.

The same way with how the government response by telling people not to use face masks and rely on 6' social distance which has been proven ineffective. Either Anthony Fauci is lying or completely ignorant of new research.

The only path I see with the US is that many will die and herd immunity is the only solution and people will eventually venture out and get sick. By the time a vaccine is released, it is likely that 70% of the population is already exposed to the virus which would make the vaccine unnecessary for most.
There’s no way I would ever use a mask as a preventative measure. I itch my face all the time (I never ever touch my eyes or nose though which are how viruses can infect you). If I wore a mask I would constantly touch parts of it and viruses can survive on the mask for hours. This would inevitably lead to me becoming infected inadvertently. Viruses die on skin in 3-5 minutes so if you itch your cheek with a finger that has virus on it that virus is dead a few minutes later. If you touch the mask it’s not and if that mask moves a bit to hit your eyes or nose you got a problem

Old 04-02-2020, 01:23 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times

Old 04-02-2020, 01:24 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Quote:
Who's been locked down for 15 days? A couple places maybe, but some States haven't even begun to consider it.

The long term plan is to keep from overwhelming hospitals and to have enough beds and equipment and, hopefully, treatments to keep the sickest from dying until we find a cure/vaccine. We may not find one though, and we won't be able to prevent people from getting sick as long as the virus is active in the wild. One thing for sure, no plan will ever include shutting down the worlds economies again. Bouncing back will be difficult because we are all so dependent on each other these days. We MUST be better prepared for plagues and such and there are things we can do, but in a battle between humans infectious diseases we will always be the underdog.

Old 04-02-2020, 01:34 AM

24,598 posts, read 9,437,319 times
The plan is very simple:

1. More testing
2. More protective gear

Aside from that, there’s not much anyone can do. Self isolation doesn’t work because there are several sectors of society that are still open and a vaccine is still 12 months away, assuming we even have one.

This flatten the curve makes no difference when millions of people are high risk already.

Old 04-02-2020, 04:13 AM

2,264 posts, read 970,896 times
The long term plan is partisan bickering, political paralysis, economic decline, and social decay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events