Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2020, 04:43 PM

13,280 posts, read 7,316,697 times

Advertisements

This is shocking, but then again in this climate it's not I can see how someone could be pushed over the edge who might have PTSD. I wonder if his wife was also wanting to commit suicide.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/05/us/sa...ide/index.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2020, 05:05 PM

382 posts, read 365,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
This is shocking, but then again in this climate it's not I can see how someone could be pushed over the edge who might have PTSD. I wonder if his wife was also wanting to commit suicide.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/05/us/sa...ide/index.html
Holy cow! That is so sad.

Old 06-05-2020, 06:16 PM

6,460 posts, read 3,983,103 times
What gets into a person's head that makes them decide their entire family-- pets included??-- are better off dead?

Old 06-05-2020, 06:31 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times
The classic pattern is that the husband/father decides he will die, but the family cannot function without him, so they all must die. He will coerce spouse or kill her, then kill himself. I don’t know about the situation with families.

In this case, it does seem that mom and dad planned this. Perhaps they shared a delusion of some kind.

Yes, it is beyond tragic for the family members and for the first responders as well, who have certainly been traumatized.

Old 06-06-2020, 10:37 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,529,215 times
How did he incapacitate his wife? She would not have likely been in on it, so he either had to have killed her first, or tranquilized her somehow beforehand.

Old 06-06-2020, 10:53 AM

4,004 posts, read 2,083,450 times
Okay - you don't want to live anymore, but where does anyone have the right to make that choice for people that haven't had a chance to grow up and form that same opinion on their own?

You may have had a hand in creating a life, but regardless of whether you are the father or the mother, you don't own that life once it has been created.

Yes! They can live without you. The pets can also live without you.

It's one thing to be miserable enough to want to die. It's another thing to be evil and selfish enough to think others need to die with you.

R.I.P. all.

Old 06-06-2020, 03:05 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,122,671 times
This family's blood is on Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft's hands. Video games need to be banned.

/s

Old 06-06-2020, 04:12 PM

9,421 posts, read 11,173,162 times
Awful beyond description.

Old 06-06-2020, 04:19 PM

6,460 posts, read 3,983,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
Okay - you don't want to live anymore, but where does anyone have the right to make that choice for people that haven't had a chance to grow up and form that same opinion on their own?

You may have had a hand in creating a life, but regardless of whether you are the father or the mother, you don't own that life once it has been created.

Yes! They can live without you. The pets can also live without you.

It's one thing to be miserable enough to want to die. It's another thing to be evil and selfish enough to think others need to die with you.

R.I.P. all.
The problem is that I think this kind of thing tends to come with some sort of mental illness... I don't know if it's that the person decides the family can't live *without them*... (and let's face it: many people commit suicide because they have the idea their family, friends, and the whole world will be better off without them). It's more that they think the world is so awful that it's not worth living in anymore; that's why they're killing themself, and why they think the family shouldn't have to live in that world, either. I mean, the fact that they even took the cats makes me think that's probably the case. Because while you might have no idea what would happen to your kids if both their parents were dead so you may figure you might as well take them with you, it's not that hard to rehome a pet if it's just that you plan to kill yourself. But if you're convinced the world is too screwed up for life, you might decide even the pets would be better off dead.

This is one of those things I'm just trying not to think about too hard because the scenario is horrible. What do you say to your kids about why you're all going to go sit in the car until everybody starts to feel funny? Those poor people. I cannot imagine the sort of pain a person would have to be in to think that was the way out for their entire family.

Old 06-06-2020, 04:45 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,083,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
The problem is that I think this kind of thing tends to come with some sort of mental illness...

This is one of those things I'm just trying not to think about too hard because the scenario is horrible. What do you say to your kids about why you're all going to go sit in the car until everybody starts to feel funny? Those poor people. I cannot imagine the sort of pain a person would have to be in to think that was the way out for their entire family.
I agree with the mental illness. Im not sure the person was in pain. I want to learn more, but from what I have read so far, it is obvious that someone was in 'military mode'. It's not everyday that a suicide includes an encrypted notice posted on the front door of the person's homes that needs to be deciphered.

It begs the question - what is the military doing to our soldiers? PTSD has been with us a long time, but this kind of roleplay preceeding an incident, is strange to me.

Still - a family is dead, and I cannot help but feel sad about that, and anyone that thinks their family cannot live without them - YES, they can. They at least deserve the opportunity to try. They can always do it your way if a try at living a full life doesn't work out for them.

Last edited by ComeCloser; 06-06-2020 at 05:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events