Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2020, 05:59 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,306,322 times

Advertisements

Either way they'll be a great study in the widespread death Rona causes in tight living quarters.

I'm sure by now the majority will be brought off in body bags. (Sarcasm)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2020, 06:12 AM

37,589 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrcollie View Post
And many people who go on these cruises are somewhat ignorant. It's sad.
What??

Old 05-03-2020, 06:31 AM

16,266 posts, read 10,392,447 times
So strange that posters constantly comment on an article they didn't even read. A poster claimed they were stuck because the cruise companies refuse to pay to fly them home when it's clear from the article that they are not allowed to dock the ships. Others comment about passengers when the article is only discussing crew, it literally explained that in the first paragraph.

But the best one was probably the poster who claimed they will be fine, people tend to forget events like a fish. Yeah I'm pretty sure the crew members aren't fine and won't be forgetting this event. Ever.

Old 05-03-2020, 06:47 AM

50,702 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
I have no sympathy for anyone who chose to take a cruise knowing the risks.

The cruise industry is greedy. They didn't care about the virus, only their profits.

And many people who go on these cruises are somewhat ignorant. It's sad.
These are employees not passengers.

Old 05-03-2020, 06:48 AM

[quote=carrcollie;58008752]
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post

Cruises are cheap. You don't have to be rich to go on one. (At least not most of them).

You are dead wrong about the crew not being on the ships for "funsies". A sad fact is many people work on these ships to party big time. Yes, they are in it for funsies. And the people who work on these ships already have experience with disease....STDs, in fact. So why would they worry about corona virus?

I happen to know a lot about the cruise industry. There is a lot of dirt that is swept under the rug.

Also, you don't know if it was the passengers infecting the crew or that crew members infected passengers. We don't know "who started it."
That wasn’t my post that you quoted I don’t know why it came out with my name.

Old 05-03-2020, 08:47 AM

6,451 posts, read 3,967,826 times
Quote:

Cruises are cheap. You don't have to be rich to go on one. (At least not most of them).

You are dead wrong about the crew not being on the ships for "funsies". A sad fact is many people work on these ships to party big time. Yes, they are in it for funsies. And the people who work on these ships already have experience with disease....STDs, in fact. So why would they worry about corona virus?

I happen to know a lot about the cruise industry. There is a lot of dirt that is swept under the rug.

Also, you don't know if it was the passengers infecting the crew or that crew members infected passengers. We don't know "who started it."
Really? Because plenty of people can't afford to go on vacations of any sort. I was under the impression a cruise itself could cost a thousand to a few thousand dollars, on top of the cost to get to wherever you're leaving from, and any extra costs. That's not something people tend to pull out of their couch cushions. In addition, there are "costs" to vacations that aren't financial, from people who can't take the time off work to people who can't take the time off family obligations to people whose health doesn't allow them to travel. No, everyone *can't* just pop up one day on a whim and flitter off for a vacay.

So, because someone chose to do a job they would enjoy, they deserve to get sick or die for it? Okay.

And it really doesn't matter who started the infections. They spread like wildfire either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
That wasn’t my post that you quoted I don’t know why it came out with my name.
The site seems to have a bug where it's nesting quotes weird these days. I've seen it elsewhere. You have to mess with the code when you post; it uses the "QUOTE" tag twice and you have to remove the second one.

Old 05-03-2020, 09:57 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
Quote:
Really? Because plenty of people can't afford to go on vacations of any sort. I was under the impression a cruise itself could cost a thousand to a few thousand dollars, on top of the cost to get to wherever you're leaving from, and any extra costs. That's not something people tend to pull out of their couch cushions. In addition, there are "costs" to vacations that aren't financial, from people who can't take the time off work to people who can't take the time off family obligations to people whose health doesn't allow them to travel. No, everyone *can't* just pop up one day on a whim and flitter off for a vacay.

So, because someone chose to do a job they would enjoy, they deserve to get sick or die for it? Okay.

And it really doesn't matter who started the infections. They spread like wildfire either way.

There are cruises that cost around or under $300. For those who live local to a port, the cruise lines provide additional discounts. Because I live local to a port, my only additional expense is having someone give me a ride to and from the port (that way I even save the parking fee they charge to leave your car in their parking structure while at sea).

I was planning to book a cruise with my family for this summer but it will obviously have to wait. I think we might book a trip for next summer in the near future if the prices are inviting enough.

I think the operators of the cruise ships that are floating around with their 'kidnapped' crew are hoping the travel ban will be lifted soon and then the crew's employment contracts can resume right away. Its just that the longer the wait, the worse it is for the staff. So many of them have families back home that they support exclusively with their salary and tips from the cruise ship. Its hard to see an easy answer here on how to resolve.

Old 05-03-2020, 10:19 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,264,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
There are cruises that cost around or under $300. For those who live local to a port, the cruise lines provide additional discounts. Because I live local to a port, my only additional expense is having someone give me a ride to and from the port (that way I even save the parking fee they charge to leave your car in their parking structure while at sea).

So.. no mandatory gratuities? No additional charges for alcoholic beverages, "upcharges" on restaurants other than the main dining room, extra for excursions? The cheaper the sticker price, they more they try to turn you into an "income stream" as soon as you board. And that's per person, of course.

I understand making travel a financial priority- I've done it all my life (although all of my cruises have been US-registered vessels under 100 passengers). I'd argue, though, that an initial cost of $1,200 for a family of 4, plus extras, is a luxury compared to the income of an average grocery-store worker.

And, to get back to the OT- also pretty much unaffordable for the people who pamper you on board.

Old 05-03-2020, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
So.. no mandatory gratuities? No additional charges for alcoholic beverages, "upcharges" on restaurants other than the main dining room, extra for excursions? The cheaper the sticker price, they more they try to turn you into an "income stream" as soon as you board. And that's per person, of course.

I understand making travel a financial priority- I've done it all my life (although all of my cruises have been US-registered vessels under 100 passengers). I'd argue, though, that an initial cost of $1,200 for a family of 4, plus extras, is a luxury compared to the income of an average grocery-store worker.

And, to get back to the OT- also pretty much unaffordable for the people who pamper you on board.
Even with drinks, it’s a cheap vacation. The short ones and not on the premium cruise lines though. I went on one cruise, a 4 day Carnival cruise to Key West and Bahamas. It was pretty cheap, like $250 and includes unlimited food. You can order two lobster tails with filet on the side at dinner. But I probably paid $10 for Baileys in my coffee at dessert.

That said, I didn’t like it. The cheapness attracts a lot of families and young people. The ships at that cost aren’t the nicest, and there was only one really awesome deck with cushy lounge chairs (the others were hard plastic like a Holiday Inn pool would have). I couldn’t get a lounge chair on that deck the entire cruise. Groups of young people took over the hot tubs and lounge chairs and made that deck their party headquarters. I don’t like competing for resources on a vacation. There were also long lines for everything and it took over an hour to get on and off at every port. They tried to sell us things frequently. I thought it might be fun to play bingo, and it was $35 a card

The better lines, the ships for the really long cruises, smaller ships, those are the expensive ones. The kind I went on IMO is the Motel Six of cruises.

I don’t see what that has to do with these poor employees either though. First of all I don’t think they enjoy it all that much. Many of the workers work 14 hour days 6 or even 7 days a week. They are given tiny rooms to stay in. These aren’t kids partying on the ocean, they work to support sometimes multi-generations in what are basically sweat shops at sea (there are NO labor laws they have to observe at sea).

Even if it was good conditions I don’t understand what sounds like “serves them right for getting a job that might be fun” attitude, it’s crazy.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 05-03-2020 at 11:03 AM..

Old 05-03-2020, 11:04 AM

609 posts, read 263,752 times
Quote:

Where did I say they deserve to die?? Wow, I can't believe that was your interpretation.

I simply disagreed with the poster who said the crew doesn't work on those ship for fun. In fact, many of them DO work on the ship for fun and to travel.

As for your statement that cruises are expensive, it's obvious you have not been on a cruise before. Since you state only your "impressions" as you put it, which means you don't know anything about the cruise industry. You are just using your "Impressions" to guide your viewpoint. As the previous poster stated, you can go on a cruise for as low as $300.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events