Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2020, 09:42 AM

313 posts, read 218,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Your “sweet” little honey bees can kill ME with their venom. You’re more likely to be killed by a car or some other kind of accident than some what if they come here scenario. Life is short.. live it to its fullest! Nobody gets out alive!
Well honey bees are generally very docile. I'll take those over hornets or any type of wasp any day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2020, 10:09 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Beekeepers are going to have to surround their bee colonies with wire mesh. These monsters can extinct wild colonies. No bees, no food = world starvation. If you see any of these creatures get out your AK and blast their nest to pieces. Then run like hell.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2...s-went-extinct
I wonder if this is why, in some areas of China, farmers have been pollinating their trees by hand for the last decade or two. Bees have disappeared. The articles on the problem I saw didn't mention a predator like this. The articles were written in the context of collapsing bee colony syndrome, which has been found (in N. America) to be caused by pesticides and other environmental problems.

Old 05-04-2020, 10:11 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I wonder if there is some reason it tears the heads off honey bees?

Usually when it comes to insects, everything they do, has some purpose, they all play their little part for the greater good of the ecosystem.

Im also wondering what the murder hornets purpose was in Asia (did it provide some necessary function in the ecosystem there?)
Well, obviously, they eat bees for lunch. But they don't want to eat the stingers and the venom sacs or wherever in the bees' bodies venom is generated.

Old 05-04-2020, 01:26 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,952,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I KNOW! Any bee sting is terrible for
a couple people I know!!! So sorry.

I got 5 stings from yellow jackets 2 years ago all at once...then when I got one on my little finger
weeks later
simply going into an office that had them in an outside wall!
I hardly had anything happen---did those 5 make me less reactive?
Weird.
Probably wore off now.
And your Epi pens are expensive and then expire! Right? Darn it.
They cost about 125.00 per pen and have an expiration time of 18 months, but...they could still save your life even years after the expiration date. I replace mine about every two years just to play it safe. We live on a farm and we need and have bees to pollinate the fruit trees and vegetable plants. I am not scared of the bees, just cautious and prepared in the event of a sting. I am more anxious about the side effects of the epinephrine on me. Not fun by any stretch.
Fast/pounding heartbeat, nervousness, sweating, nausea, vomiting, trouble breathing, headache, dizziness, anxiety, shakiness.

Last edited by Sydney123; 05-04-2020 at 01:35 PM..

Old 05-04-2020, 02:11 PM

50,706 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I wonder if this is why, in some areas of China, farmers have been pollinating their trees by hand for the last decade or two. Bees have disappeared. The articles on the problem I saw didn't mention a predator like this. The articles were written in the context of collapsing bee colony syndrome, which has been found (in N. America) to be caused by pesticides and other environmental problems.

I just want to clarify, because of the people saying "Thanks again, China" that these hornets are from all over East Asia and Japan, not from any single country. This isn't the first time pests have arrived from other countries, it's almost inevitable when we import so much produce, etc. Some bodies of water are losing native fish thanks to invasion of fish that were never supposed to be here (with fish I suppose people had them as pets and let them go, IDK).

Old 05-04-2020, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
They cost about 125.00 per pen and have an expiration time of 18 months, but...they could still save your life even years after the expiration date. I replace mine about every two years just to play it safe. We live on a farm and we need and have bees to pollinate the fruit trees and vegetable plants. I am not scared of the bees, just cautious and prepared in the event of a sting. I am more anxious about the side effects of the epinephrine on me. Not fun by any stretch.
Fast/pounding heartbeat, nervousness, sweating, nausea, vomiting, trouble breathing, headache, dizziness, anxiety, shakiness.

$125! Didn't they used to be cheap?

Old 05-04-2020, 02:37 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,057,802 times
It looks like we are being attacked from all angles now. These little monsters have now mysteriously appeared in Washington state. Murder hornets are really bad as they kill our both our honeybees and people. We all have our phobias, and these will make me afraid to go out once they make it out here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhzdOEP62Lw

This is what it is like just to get stung by one of them just once. Start watching at 11:20 to see him get stung. It is extremely painful at the very least, and fatal when you have a bunch of them attack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7VMcMJBjD4

Old 05-04-2020, 02:42 PM

13,705 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I agree with that poster. It's not about bats, it's about wanting the cheapest products. We all had the choice when Walmarts began spreading across the land, decimating American manufacturing and American businesses. We overwhelmingly chose Walmart and it's business model of selling cheap Chinese goods. Now we act like we had nothing to do with it. Years and years ago I argued with people on these very forums on threads about people protesting to keep Walmart from their towns, and people acted like not wanting Walmart was a liberal, unAmerican sentiment. I long ago gave up and joined the ranks of Walmart shoppers after years of futility, now the same people who argued with me then are furious that China "somehow" became our primary supplier for just about everything.
It has as much if not more to do with international free trade agreements as it does with wanting things cheaply.

Old 05-04-2020, 02:46 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,488,320 times
Ya don't suppose they'll just be nice and stay up in Washington state, eh?

Old 05-04-2020, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
This hornet came to Washington on a Chinese freighter. I heard this on a new report. I have my suspicions a whole nest of them were deliberately put there by Chinese officials or disgruntled Chinese nationals angry with Trump for the tariffs and wanting revenge. Well, they certainly got it.

Everything I've read said they don't know how it got here, do you have a link with other evidence? It was also seen in British Columbia before the states, in fall of 2019.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events