Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2020, 02:09 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,647,873 times

Advertisements

Yeah, that's just how people are today in this narcissist, self centered, self important, selfish world we live in these days.

It's never about the greater good or being courteous towards others, it's always about me me me, who cares about how others feel.

I think there might have been this sentiment that one outcome of the coronavirus and social distancing stuff, is that once we phase out of it, there will be a new norm where people will learn to be more nicer towards each other.

That's pure bullsnitch, people will go back to how they have always acted, entitled and with a huge chip on their shoulder.

This is a reason why I tend to keep to myself and avoid crowds whenever I can, going shopping during the week very early in the morning or simply ordering take out or delivery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2020, 02:30 PM

7,588 posts, read 4,160,966 times
Being nice, patient, courteous, and considerate are not ideas that are easily sold to the public, especially when one person breaks the rules and ends up getting what they want.

Old 05-11-2020, 02:31 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I am a pro business conservator who fully understands a small % of many business' customers are trash, who must be tossed out. I would love to see him add a video camera system (cheap in 2020), post signs indicating customers are being taped, and come up with a Will Not Serve list (permanent, and extending to all family with them) based on behavior list with posters of offending customers placed in the store.

The 98% of courteous customers, at any business, will usually be more than happy to help businesses get rid of the 2% who are trash.

I'd also, if I were him, share this 2% list, with all regional businesses. Ostracism can be a very strong tool to modify the behavior of trash.

He has taken the first big step. Closed business to reorganize to avoid these issues, and organized a drive for a go fund me college savings plan for the 17 year old girl who quit.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/massachus...ppe5Vk1nwDADpA
Yeah I read that story. And it’s right. Some people have completely forgotten how to be respectful. Well....if they ever actually had respect for others.

Old 05-11-2020, 02:51 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I agree. And it's ICE CREAM. It's not like they were starving after a meal. Just insane. I have bought ice cream from the store since COVID hit, how can a crowd get so rowdy over it?

The young girl is admirable for finishing her shift before quitting. I am glad her gofundme is going well. He said she was his hardest worker, saving for college.
This is what I'm wondering. Did the store/restaurant shut down completely after s-i-p orders were given, and if so, why? I thought "restaurants" were allowed to fill take-out/pick-up orders. Does anyone here have more info?

Old 05-11-2020, 03:08 PM

601 posts, read 458,865 times
Why exactly was one hour advance notice needed to buy ice cream? Ice cream isn't generally a 'carefully plan ahead' type of purchase.

Old 05-11-2020, 03:13 PM

18,722 posts, read 33,385,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDWill1 View Post
Why exactly was one hour advance notice needed to buy ice cream? Ice cream isn't generally a 'carefully plan ahead' type of purchase.
Likely, so people wouldn't pile up in a line and the manager would know how much supply was needed and how many staff. The point is to try and reduce people close together, whether waiting or whatever the business calls for.

My local restaurants take phone orders and do curbside pickup. If you want to go in, it's only so many people at a time. If at a takeout window, one at a time and maybe wait in your car. Etc.

I did read that the shop re-opened after the incident was on the news and the community stepped up and it's operating as desired now. I don't know if the young staff woman has come back, but delighted to hear about her college fund. Now *that* is a class act.

Old 05-11-2020, 03:22 PM

1,938 posts, read 702,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Yeah, that's just how people are today in this narcissist, self centered, self important, selfish world we live in these days.

It's never about the greater good or being courteous towards others, it's always about me me me, who cares about how others feel.

I think there might have been this sentiment that one outcome of the coronavirus and social distancing stuff, is that once we phase out of it, there will be a new norm where people will learn to be more nicer towards each other.

That's pure bullsnitch, people will go back to how they have always acted, entitled and with a huge chip on their shoulder.

This is a reason why I tend to keep to myself and avoid crowds whenever I can, going shopping during the week very early in the morning or simply ordering take out or delivery.

I agree. Many years ago, at my job, we had an awful thing happen. A 28 year old co-worker took her life.
It was shocking and sad (still is). For a few weeks, people were humbled by what happened, there were
discussions - "let's pay attention to each other, be more aware." People acted a little nicer, for a while, but it didn't last.

The jerks went back to being jerks. The bullies went back to being bullies.

Old 05-11-2020, 03:24 PM

50,773 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Being nice, patient, courteous, and considerate are not ideas that are easily sold to the public, especially when one person breaks the rules and ends up getting what they want.
It’s not so much needing to be nice and courteous, it’s really just not being a d**k. This didn’t used to be the case, when families with kids in toe let F bombs fly and call a 17 year old girl a c**t because they couldn’t get ice cream. This is a relatively new as in 21st century phenomenon. I don’t know what it is but just maybe the divisions between people becoming craters. I don’t remember all this impulsive rage and public tantrums growing up.

There was one awesome woman customer who, when she saw what was happening, put on mask and gloves and went in to help serve ice cream!

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 05-11-2020 at 03:35 PM..

Old 05-11-2020, 03:30 PM

50,773 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDWill1 View Post
No one knows how to safely re-open in CoronaWorld. Business owners are doing their best with very little guidance. This owner talked to other people in his industry and brainstormed before coming up with a plan. An hour notice was to space people out. They expected mobs and got them so they try to plan for that. Owner stated he doesn’t pretend to know what next practice is, they are all going to have to learn through trial and error. That doesn’t give people license to abuse workers.

What “generally” happens has no bearing on what is happening now.

"Now I open the doors to a whole new world, with gloves and masks and we're running around like chickens, and people are like where's my ice cream? I'm not a trauma center, it's ice cream!" Lawrence told WFXT.“

Old 05-11-2020, 03:32 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
One wonders what type of crowd this was at the ice cream stand in Mashpee, Massachusetts.
Because it was a blue state, people limited themselves to loudly screaming George Carlin's seven dirty words at employees rather than threatening to kill them or actually getting the guns out and shooting them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events