Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 04:06 PM

15,417 posts, read 9,065,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
Thanks, but it's one of those 3 layered masks with a filter that look kind of like a bra cup. No pleats and no metal strip. I've tried it either way and it fits weird. Husband has an identical one and he is okay with it so I might just have a weird shaped face.
I really don't recommend those. Disposable surgical masks are getting more affordable right now. I just ordered a box of 50 surgical masks on eBay for $28.95. That's still about 10 times more then I paid last year, but still not that terrible a price, all things considered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2020, 04:27 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,641,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Both of these Etsy sellers have masks with nose wires and which tie instead of using ear loops.

CanaryCreations masks are a bit harder to fit with a filter, but are lined with relatively thick flannel, which ought to do a decent job in blocking large droplets.

This mask from ClipABowTie is made of thinner fabric, but has a much larger opening for slipping a filter into place.

I've bought from both of these sellers, and can personally vouch for the quality of their masks as well as their promptness in shipping.
Thanks, bookmarked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
The masks I wear will either have text on them (so right side up is the correct way), and/or that flexible metal strip that you can adjust to counter your nose. For the latter, that part of course should be up (along the nose). Speaking of which, I'm told that tight fitting masks shouldn't fog up glasses, but I've still been getting such issues. The better, N95 masks do not yield this problem, but they're more annoying to get on and off, so it's a bunch of tradeoffs all around.
Because the mask fits so weird, it's probably not tight at all. But better than nothing, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I really don't recommend those. Disposable surgical masks are getting more affordable right now. I just ordered a box of 50 surgical masks on eBay for $28.95. That's still about 10 times more then I paid last year, but still not that terrible a price, all things considered.
I kind of like reusable masks so I'll try once more with another type when the current ones need replacing. If those don't work either, might have to go with surgical. People around here were wearing everything from bandanas to sanding safety masks, but since stores have opened up again the majority seem to feel there is no need for protective measures and are going bare-faced.

Old 05-12-2020, 04:34 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,142,492 times
I have now ordered five very different styles/types of masks from five different Etsy sellers (as I anticipate months, if not years, of wearing masks in public.

Two masks fit absolutely great (and I may order more of them), two masks fit OK (but seem to be designed for a much smaller face, so I will give them to my niece) and the one with a very cute cat design fits absolutely horribly (seems to be designed for a much, much larger face, so I will give it to my brother). Now, if I had just ordered the cat design mask I probably would be complaining about cloth masks, too.

My N95 mask fits much, much tighter than any of the cloth masks, but N95 masks are designed to be tighter and less porous to keep out the viruses (so that is fine).

Old 05-12-2020, 05:09 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,130,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I have now ordered five very different styles/types of masks from five different Etsy sellers (as I anticipate months, if not years, of wearing masks in public.

Two masks fit absolutely great (and I may order more of them), two masks fit OK (but seem to be designed for a much smaller face, so I will give them to my niece) and the one with a very cute cat design fits absolutely horribly (seems to be designed for a much, much larger face, so I will give it to my brother). Now, if I had just ordered the cat design mask I probably would be complaining about cloth masks, too.

My N95 mask fits much, much tighter than any of the cloth masks, but N95 masks are designed to be tighter and less porous to keep out the viruses (so that is fine).
The N95's can also fog up glasses or googles even faster than conventional surgical mask. I am curious how many accidents have been caused because people cannot see where they are going?

Old 05-12-2020, 05:19 PM

15,417 posts, read 9,065,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
The N95's can also fog up glasses or googles even faster than conventional surgical mask. I am curious how many accidents have been caused because people cannot see where they are going?
1. If it becomes a problem, you can always take the mask off, before you have a crash. 2. Wearing a mask and glasses doesn't affect my driving one bit. Most bus and rideshare drivers are wearing masks these days, and I can't find any evidence of accidents resulting from it.

Old 05-12-2020, 06:10 PM

161 posts, read 83,103 times
So don't wear one. Your choice.

Old 05-12-2020, 09:25 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,835,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Not sure this warranted a new thread. The comment could have been made in any of the dozens of virus-related threads on CD.
And you are harmed by this how ?

Old 05-13-2020, 10:59 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,694,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
Yes, I know which side is the inside and which is out, but not which side is up for around your nose and down for around your chin. It fits weird either way. This is not a medical use mask nor the type of mask that is basically a square and can be worn either side up. I don't want to have to mess with tape, guess I'll just deal with the fogging.
If you don't have a piece of plastic or metal strip then it doesn't matter which side is up. If you could find a plastic or metal stripe, I would tape that inside so it can seal your nose area better.

Old 05-13-2020, 11:12 AM

2,282 posts, read 1,582,253 times
the cloth fibers can irritate people's skin.
they can also keep yours or other's germs/bacteria in longer when worn over and over w/o washing.
Covid-19 is said to be so small it can easily seep right through the cloth (doctor in Northern California said this).

Old 05-13-2020, 12:26 PM

609 posts, read 264,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
I really miss smiling at people and seeing them smile.
My daughter says you can smile with your eyes but it is not the same.
Why can't you smile knowing that you are helping to save people's lives???

Personally, I don't need validation from other people by seeing them smile at me. I feel good about myself anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events