Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2020, 04:11 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,799,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Aside from the obvious common reason for this go-to accusation (this spat of White women claiming that Black Men did ____ to direct attention away from the true criminal or themselves), is it because of the fact that most child abduction occurs by a family member?
That's one reason. Proximity to the victim makes a family member an immediate suspect (read: a person who the investigator has not written off as a possible perpetrator) until the investigator determines such is not the case.

Rich

Old 05-24-2020, 04:20 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I wonder why the neighbors who rescued him from the first attempt at drowning him didn't call 911? Did they not fully realize that she was drowning him - they just thought he was drowning and she was ineffective at saving him?
That's exactly what I want to know! Why didn't they keep him away from her? I actually think it was because he's autistic. He couldn't tell them she had done it on purpose. He might have even become combative with them. They couldn't communicate with him, didn't know what to do with him.

I've experienced 'the public' considering intervening when they saw my 6 foot 5 inch, 230 lb autistic child punch me in the head at my daughters band concert last year. I told them "It's okay, he's disabled & I've got this."

They almost ran away in relief. Nobody knows how to handle our kids. They don't want to. She probably told them something similar, acted like he went in on his own (that is also something autistic kids do; it's the leading cause of death for autistic children) & they were more than happy to believe her.

Old 05-24-2020, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCapeCod View Post
Trust me, that claim is a red-flag for investigating officers.

Rich

(41 years police officer, including working as a homicide detective in NYC)
It was a very obvious red flag to me too but not because I'm LE. Anybody who wants to abduct a child can't 'use' a SEVERELY autistic child, unless they just plan on assaulting them & dumping them. They can't be trafficked.

Old 05-24-2020, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
It's a very tragic situation. And I do have sympathy for that woman. After nine years of having to take care of a child with such severe disabilities, she just snapped. Instead, she should have divorced the husband and left him as the primary caregiver. Otherwise, she probably was really depressed over the fact that she was going to have to take care of her handicapped son for the rest of his life.

And yes, the father is sad and upset, but I'm guessing that he was able to leave the house for work and escape his parenting duties for 9-10 hours a day while his wife was stuck at home dealing with the son. Nine years is a LONG time to be trapped with a severely autistic child. The ancient Spartans would have tossed that child over a cliff's edge a lot sooner.
It's true. I don't think people in general understand that all therapies & respite care have been cancelled for autistic children for two months now due to covid.

I know moms who haven't left the house in two months, who are cleaning poop & pee out of their carpets & being attacked by children the size of grown men every day, with no help or crappy 'support services'.

I am so lucky that my son got in to see his immunologist a week before they shut down & has been doing really well.

Even at his worst, though ... I could never harm a hair on this gigantic child of mine's head & most of us never will. This was a concern of ours when this first started, we knew it was going to happen, somewhere with someone. Mostly I have seen more suicidal type posts from the moms; versus homicidal.

Old 05-24-2020, 06:05 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
That's exactly what I want to know! Why didn't they keep him away from her? I actually think it was because he's autistic. He couldn't tell them she had done it on purpose. He might have even become combative with them. They couldn't communicate with him, didn't know what to do with him.

I've experienced 'the public' considering intervening when they saw my 6 foot 5 inch, 230 lb autistic child punch me in the head at my daughters band concert last year. I told them "It's okay, he's disabled & I've got this."

They almost ran away in relief. Nobody knows how to handle our kids. They don't want to. She probably told them something similar, acted like he went in on his own (that is also something autistic kids do; it's the leading cause of death for autistic children) & they were more than happy to believe her.
You have much experience in this area of caregiving to a child with this malady. I for one marvel at your inner strength and ability to understand all sides of this family challenge.

This mother doesn't get the same regards I send out to you. She took a life. A blood life.

Old 05-24-2020, 07:23 PM

185 posts, read 134,218 times
I have 3 austistic nephews; brothers. Two are severly austistic and they are non verbal. Their father is essentially a deadbeat so their mother is on her own. I understand the difficulties in caring for a severely disabled child as I have seen it first hand. However, I cannot fathom how this woman could have did what she did. Since the father was around she could have left him with his dad and walked away.

Last edited by miasth; 05-24-2020 at 08:16 PM..

Old 05-24-2020, 08:17 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
It's a very tragic situation. And I do have sympathy for that woman. After nine years of having to take care of a child with such severe disabilities, she just snapped. Instead, she should have divorced the husband and left him as the primary caregiver. Otherwise, she probably was really depressed over the fact that she was going to have to take care of her handicapped son for the rest of his life.

And yes, the father is sad and upset, but I'm guessing that he was able to leave the house for work and escape his parenting duties for 9-10 hours a day while his wife was stuck at home dealing with the son. Nine years is a LONG time to be trapped with a severely autistic child. The ancient Spartans would have tossed that child over a cliff's edge a lot sooner.
I have really mixed feelings about this. I have no first-hand experience with raising an autistic child, but I do have friends who are in that boat, and I can only begin to imagine how stressful it is on them. So I honestly have a hard time blaming this woman for snapping, after nine very long years and no end in sight. Murder is wrong, no question about it; but again, I have a hard time completely condemning her for it.

Where I do blame her is for trying to pass off the crime on two imaginary black men. This could have put non-imaginary, innocent black men in very real danger. For this, I think that she needs to be punished as much as the law will allow.

As for the poster's last sentence . . .

Quote:
The ancient Spartans would have tossed that child over a cliff's edge a lot sooner.
I actually struggle with this one. It's immoral to toss a child over a cliff. But if your society depends on strength and unity to survive, as the ancient Spartans did, culling the herd of its weakest, more burdensome members is a stark necessity.

Old 05-24-2020, 08:26 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Oops, I didn't see the most important part:

FLUUURRRIDDAAHHH
Unfortunately, drowning one's own children is not limited to Florida. Just off the top of my head, I can think of similar cases in South Carolina, Texas, and Maryland. Also, trying to falsely blame imaginary black men for murder isn't just a Florida thing either. The South Carolina case I mentioned had that aspect too, as did a case in Boston, Massachusetts.

South Carolina:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susan_Smith

Texas:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrea_Yates

Maryland:
https://www.baltimoresun.com/marylan...r31-story.html

Massachusetts:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Stuart_(murderer)

Old 05-24-2020, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
You have much experience in this area of caregiving to a child with this malady. I for one marvel at your inner strength and ability to understand all sides of this family challenge.

This mother doesn't get the same regards I send out to you. She took a life. A blood life.
Thank you Nov3, I appreciate it. She horrifies me. The Issy Stapelton case horrified me too.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2014...stapleton.html

The Alex Spourdakalis case horrified me.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...h-illness.html

The Trudy Steurnagel case horrified me. There have been times I wondered if I would end up like her.

https://www.cleveland.com/metro/2009...trudy_ste.html

All the stories on this blog; Lives Lost to Autism; horrify me. Most of them were not killed by parents or caregivers but by the behaviors autism causes.

Lives Lost to Autism

Old 05-24-2020, 11:05 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,862,705 times
Quote:
We see the same pattern repeating over and over again. A parent kills their disabled child. The media portrays these murders as justifiable and inevitable due to the “burden” of having a disabled person in the family. If the parent stands trial, they are given sympathy and comparatively lighter sentences, if they are sentenced at all. The victims are disregarded, blamed for their own murder at the hands of the person they should have been able to trust the most, and ultimately forgotten. And then the cycle repeats.
https://autisticadvocacy.org/project...anti-filicide/

Quote:
I know how it feels to be the victim, the mother, the caregiver and the social worker. And I know this: IT IS WRONG TO MURDER YOUR AUTISTIC CHILD.
https://ollibean.com/wrong-murder-autistic-child/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events