Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2020, 12:58 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,516,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
That is sad. Most don’t realize how dangerous general anesthesia is. My first nursing home job, we had a young girl who had been in a vegetative state since age 12, from a dental anesthesia mistake. When I had my wisdom teeth out my dentist wrote “no general anesthesia” for the oral surgeon. I got a Valium drip instead.
Valium drip for wisdom teeth? What?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2020, 06:18 AM

50,759 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
Docs don't give you a choice. I ask them to just give me a local but they insist on putting me under even for foot surgery. I had a dentist agree to only give me a local plus nitrous for wisdom teeth but he lied. When I was gassed up the techs put a needle in my arm and shot me up with something.
General anesthesia isn't given by a needle, but a mask over your face. Maybe you got IV valium or something too? Mine made me fall asleep during the entire procedure. They also agreed to give me a local for my last epidural, as I hated waking up from the general and feeling sick.

It might depend on the type of surgery, but I have had my fair share of crappy docs too though.

Old 10-17-2020, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newporttom View Post
This article implies that the surgery was not being done at a hospital, since they talk about calling 911 and taking her to hospital. I wonder where in the heck it was being done?
Most cosmetic surgeons have surgical suites on their premises. It would be unusual to have most cosmetic surgery in a hospital. It would add many thousands more to the cost.

Old 10-17-2020, 06:20 AM

9,453 posts, read 5,212,640 times
I smell a big fat lawsuit.

Old 10-17-2020, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Valium drip for wisdom teeth? What?
It worked fine, I was out like a light for the entire procedure. It was an IV but not sure about a drip. That implies little bits at a time but it wasn't like that. I was out a minute after they started the IV.

Old 10-17-2020, 07:53 AM

8,755 posts, read 5,050,099 times
To me, the really story here is a 18 year old had breast implants. For What! Such stupidity.....there is a risk with every surgery.

Old 10-17-2020, 08:02 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,645,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Horrible for the family, their daughter was in a brain damaged state for over a year.

And it appears the anesthetist was previously involved in a case where a patient died, and they had to settle. How was this person still working that job?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/19-old-di...162638327.html
The short answer is Public Sector Regulators are massively incompetent - yet still get their fat-cat gold-plated pensions & Cadillac health-care.

The real question is, which public sector employees will be held accountable for NOT purging that anesthesiologist? Newspapers need to name names: "government employee John Smith failed in his duty to purge the bad anesthesiologist from the ranks of licensed doctors."

Old 10-17-2020, 09:56 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,078,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
Docs don't give you a choice. I ask them to just give me a local but they insist on putting me under even for foot surgery. I had a dentist agree to only give me a local plus nitrous for wisdom teeth but he lied. When I was gassed up the techs put a needle in my arm and shot me up with something.
And, you know this...how?

I have a policy with dental work- "I don't want to know anything. Put me out." I've had Scopolamine and the Versed/Fentanyl combo, both work well.

I started that policy after an incident where I was having a broken tooth extracted at Tufts Dental School. A little slip of a girl was doing the job. She hit me with a nerve block in the roof of my mouth that felt like she'd stuck a 220volt powerline in there. Then she tried to yank it, and couldn't get it. Eventually, I ended up with her literally sitting on my chest and two big burly guys holding my head...and I'm there thinking "This feels like a scene from the Three Stooges."

She *was* 'hot' though, and the nerve block worked well enough that my mind was free to imagine a similar scenario under somewhat different conditions. Even so, I decided that not being aware of what was going on was better. (I once had to have bones in my foot (re)broken and steel rods driven in to fuse the bones. It was done with only a local and I was not a happy camper, but it was an Army doc so I couldn't really complain.)

If they 'shot you up' with something, it would have been on the bill. They don't give that stuff away for free. It was $400 just for the shot alone the last time I had it done.

Old 10-17-2020, 10:48 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,940,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
I smell a big fat lawsuit.
A coworker's fiancé was in med school to become an ansesthesiologist. They were told to EXPECT to get sued 4-5 times every year.

Old 10-17-2020, 10:57 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Surgery has risks. It doesn't have to be carelessness from the doctor. Some people have a bad reaction to anesthetic. Surgery is something that should be considered very carefully with risk balanced against reward.

What a shame that a 18 year old felt she had to get her breasts enlarged.
This is what I was thinking, too. I wonder if she paid for the procedure herself, with money she'd earned, or if her parents were ok with it, and paid for it. 18/19 IMO is too young for a procedure like that. Barely out of HS? Just...no. Very sad she had to lose her life over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events