Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2020, 11:40 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,183,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sportsfan View Post

Sad story. I remember there were questions about the anesthesiologist because he had had a prior death. Although, 1 death by an anesthesiologist wouldn't be enough for him to lose his license, assuming it was negligence/medical malpractice.
I know this seems like nit picking, but just a point of clarification, the anesthesia was not administered by an anesthesiologist, it was done by a Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist (in this case, the defendant, Mr. Rex Meeker). CRNA's do a good job, but, in my opinion, they should really be supervised by an Anesthesiologist who is present and on site during all cases. That as not the case here, which was one of the problems, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
The whole thing sounds horrible.

They were so careless -didn't even take her to a hospital or call EMS. What kind of place is this????
As ocnjgirl points out below, many (most??) Plastic Surgeons do surgical cases in their own on site Outpatient Surgical Centers. There's myriad reasons for that, but in any event, it's easier for the patient, easier for the surgeon, and generally works out better for everyone... until it doesn't. And when it doesn't, you can hopefully act quickly enough to get a patient to the hospital as soon as possible. In this case, the lawsuit asserts the physician and staff lingered too long in their decision to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Again, most cosmetic surgeons have their own surgical suites attached to their offices. Only surgeons affiliated with a hospital can do surgery there.

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 10-18-2020 at 12:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2020, 12:23 PM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
i was wondering because someone mentioned that there could be underlying conditions as to why she needed the surgery.
That still might not necessarily necessitate a hospital. From Columbia University:

“You and your surgeon may decide to operate in a free-standing ambulatory surgery center or an office-based operating room that is not affiliated with a particular hospital, but you should know that all plastic surgeons who are members of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons have pledged to operate only in facilities that are fully accredited. This means that your operating room experience will be conducted to the same high standards that are in place in a hospital.”

Not sure what “have pledged to” means though.

Old 10-18-2020, 12:46 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
I was thinking the same thing, but wasn't sure if it was appropriate to mention this given the sadness of her death. But this was one of the first questions that popped into my mind. At a young age of 19?? And I say this as a male. I have never understood what is attractive about breast implants. They look so unnatural and disgusting to me.
I would never date a woman with breast implants.

Our society is to blame for her death.

I watch maybe 2 hours of a TV per day, but what I'm seeing now in commercials is that if you're a man and you don't shave off every hair on your body you're defective.

Well, I ain't doin' that and they can bite me.

It isn't that our society is focused on looks that is inherently wrong, rather it's the focus on a certain particular look.

Quote:
they don't do this surgery at a hospital?
No, why would they?

That would just jack up the costs and make it completely unaffordable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
From reading other articles and threads about this story, as you mention above, the CRNA had a similar incident about 10 years ago, failure to properly monitor the patient in the period immediately post op. Supposedly, the CRNA left her alone and unmonitored for 10-15 minutes.

The physician being sued in the case (Dr. Kim) is the Plastic Surgeon, and he's not being sued for anything pertaining to the anesthesia administration, but rather for failing to get her to a hospital asap so they could implement the necessary protocols to try and preserve her brain function. Apparently, Dr. Kim was the one who successfully resuscitated her, but then they waited for several hours before getting her to the hospital.

That's my understanding anyway.
Thanks for clarifying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
I know this seems like nit picking, but just a point of clarification, the anesthesia was not administered by an anesthesiologist, it was done by a Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist (in this case, the defendant, Mr. Rex Meeker). CRNA's do a good job, but, in my opinion, they should really be supervised by an Anesthesiologist who is present and on site during all cases. That as not the case here, which was one of the problems, IMO.

I had several surgeries at the VAMC to correct nerve damage I sustained in Iraq.

Those were CRNAs, but those surgeries were on my arms, so it's not like someone was digging around my abdominal cavity for 4 hours.

I did wake up. The first time about 1/3rd of the way through and the 2nd time a few minutes before they were going to close up. The surgeon was amused. The nurses not so much.

I did have two abdominal surgeries with a real anesthesiologist. They know that I have problems with certain drugs. Seconal, Barbital, Valium, and such will not put me to sleep. I'll be bouncing off the walls because I have paradoxical reactions to those drugs.

The CRNAs and anesthesiologists always have a lengthy discussion with me in pre-op so they can figure out what drugs to use.

Old 10-18-2020, 12:50 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times
Quote:
I was thinking the same thing, but wasn't sure if it was appropriate to mention this given the sadness of her death. But this was one of the first questions that popped into my mind. At a young age of 19?? And I say this as a male. I have never understood what is attractive about breast implants. They look so unnatural and disgusting to me.
I read another article where the parents stated that she had been saving for them all through high school.

She looked fine in the pictures posted.

Maybe it had to do with what she planned to do after high school - travel vlog?

Wonder how much she paid for the failed procedure?

Old 10-18-2020, 01:00 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
This is veering wildly off topic, but hospitals are full of sick people. If you have surgery at a surgery suite in the plastic surgeons offices, there haven't been any sick people there with nasty contagious diseases. Plastic surgery isn't done on people who are ill. Everyone in there is healthy, at least physically. Mentally, some of them I have my doubts about, but they aren't going to infect you with hepatitis, diphtheria, or necrotising fasciitis.

Old 10-18-2020, 01:20 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Horrible for the family, their daughter was in a brain damaged state for over a year.

And it appears the anesthetist was previously involved in a case where a patient died, and they had to settle. How was this person still working that job?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/19-old-di...162638327.html
Everyone reacts differently to anesthesia. You can have the same drug cocktail in the exact same amount and not respond to it the same way both times. I've had the same anesthesia a few times and the last time it took me over 4 hours to wake up and stay awake. The nurses all said my body must have needed the rest and that's why I took so long to wake up. I should have woken up within 15 minutes of being in the recovery room. I had the same anesthesia just 3 months before!

Old 10-18-2020, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newporttom View Post
This article implies that the surgery was not being done at a hospital, since they talk about calling 911 and taking her to hospital. I wonder where in the heck it was being done?
Surgery centers are common for many surgeries today. Same with outpatient facilities. These facilities are often times not in the same complex as a hospital. Maybe not even in the same town as a hospital. I've had oral surgery in the oral surgeon's office. I had some great drugs for that surgery because he had to chisel away part of my jaw - about an inch long section to remove an impacted wisdom tooth that was causing my jaw to decay. I don't recommend that at all! It was not a pleasant procedure.

Old 10-18-2020, 01:40 PM

3,143 posts, read 1,599,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Surgery centers are common for many surgeries today. Same with outpatient facilities. These facilities are often times not in the same complex as a hospital. Maybe not even in the same town as a hospital. I've had oral surgery in the oral surgeon's office. I had some great drugs for that surgery because he had to chisel away part of my jaw - about an inch long section to remove an impacted wisdom tooth that was causing my jaw to decay. I don't recommend that at all! It was not a pleasant procedure.
You bring up a good point. When I had my first colonoscopy consult, the gastrointerologist performed colonoscopies in an stand-alone surgery center. He seemed annoyed at my question about adverse reactions and the protocol for transfer to a hospital and how long it would take to transport a patient to a hospital.

I declined to get a colonoscopy performed by this gastrointerologist and had it performed by another gastrointerologist who gave me a choice of hospital or surgi-center. Of course, a physician must have hospital privileges. Unbeknown to me, the certified nurse anesthetist monitoring my heart told me I had PVC's and consulted with the hospital chief anesthologist. My procedure was delayed until the chief anesthologist could further evaluated me for the colonoscopy. It was comforting that I was in a hospital setting.

Performing a surgery at a surgi-center is generally in the gastrointerologist's best financial interests.

If anything goes wrong I want to be at a hospital and I never underestimate the consequences of something going wrong even with a "routine" procedure.

Last edited by Maddie104; 10-18-2020 at 02:08 PM..

Old 10-18-2020, 01:40 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
but that isn't the same as being "put under"? Is it?

I had wisdom teeth extracted and was given valium. But the medical clinic was just across the street, so i was okay in case anything happened. This was in the military.

Old 10-18-2020, 02:28 PM

Quote:
but that isn't the same as being "put under"? Is it?

I had wisdom teeth extracted and was given valium. But the medical clinic was just across the street, so i was okay in case anything happened. This was in the military.
What? Yes, I was completely under. I had anesthesia. Did you not read where my jaw bone was chiseled out of my skull? I could not be awake for that. Only a sadist would have a patient awake for that. This is the regular world not the military. What they do in the military they would not get away with with the general public. The general public has options. In the military you don't have options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events