U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2020, 11:34 AM

1,230 posts, read 1,550,202 times

Advertisements

I am currently Christmas Shopping (all advice says to order earlier this year) and I am indulging in one my favorite parts of Christmas: the best Christmas Advert Feels!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWF2JBb1bvM (Best Regarded - Christmas 2014)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-oVg_Ga4Ks (Most Affecting - Christmas 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg4Mq5EAEzw (Best I've seen for 2020).

Please share the Holiday Spirit and share your favorites!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2020, 12:12 PM

3,507 posts, read 1,208,854 times
I like Christmas.

I just don't like eight weeks of it.

One of the moronic classic rock stations that I have preset has been running an all-Christmas-songs format for over two weeks now.

December is long enough to keep the holiday confined nicely to that single month without beating society over the head with it.

Enough, already...

Old 11-22-2020, 01:22 PM

9,830 posts, read 2,805,048 times
LOL..it was beginning to look like Christmas back in September in some stores.

Thanksgiving was relegated to a single aisle in Hobby Lobby while the rest of the store was Christmas

Old 11-22-2020, 02:46 PM

5,426 posts, read 4,767,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
LOL..it was beginning to look like Christmas back in September in some stores.

Thanksgiving was relegated to a single aisle in Hobby Lobby while the rest of the store was Christmas
Almost makes me thankful that I have severely limited my shopping experiences.

Old 11-22-2020, 04:07 PM

23,112 posts, read 22,174,104 times
Having been mostly isolated due to COVID, it was a beautiful experience to venture out and go into a store yesterday. There is only one person I need to pick out a special gift for, a little six year old boy in England.

So after all these months of hanging around and not going anywhere and only going into a store when absolutely necessary, it was almost a thrill to walk into a Christmas setting. I always find a unique gift or two (or three!) for this little boy in Barnes & Noble. Always I find an interesting pop-up card to send to their entire family too.

With old fashioned Christmas music playing softly in the background, there was also a lot to see and explore. Books and games and glow in the dark stars...pretty displays of Christmas books from over the years. The Night before Christmas, The Polar Express. People of all ages were busily taking it all in and looking at things. Kids were getting excited when they saw what they wanted.

I think I must have spent about 45 minutes in there and then remembered that this was not a normal year, time to leave.

I consider that my Christmas this year and am thankful for that little glimpse of it. Actually, considering how commercialized it has become, and recalling past years of being crammed into a store, frantically searching for gifts, this was a welcome relief. I expect a small Christmas Day dinner for two at home and then, can this year please be over?

Old 11-24-2020, 07:07 AM

8,110 posts, read 4,461,339 times
We've already had snow here in the mountains. Snow on my pumpkins. Some homes have put up their Christmas lights and outdoor decorations. NO, not before Thanksgiving. Outlet Mall was packed last Saturday.

Let's get through Thanksgiving first, people.

Old 11-24-2020, 11:40 AM

5,699 posts, read 2,705,142 times
I was born in the early 80's. As a child, I remember the Christmas season didn't start until Dec. 1 (at least in my house and school). On Dec. 1, is when our school would turnover and start all of the Christmas decorations and activities. Around mid-December on a Saturday, we would go and get the family Christmas tree. Also, back then as a kid (80's-90's), stores didn't turnover to Christmas until at least after Thanksgiving/ early December, and there was less commercialization.

There was something that made it feel more special by waiting until December and having a shorter time-period.

Old 11-24-2020, 04:52 PM

960 posts, read 400,866 times
As I go running around my area, I have noticed more homes with lights/decorations up already. It seems a little early to me, as I remember as a kid our decorations went up after Thanksgiving. But I assume with more people WFH they have more time to put them up. Maybe it helps to stop thinking/hearing about CV19 for a while. Our house will get the lights up sometime this week since we took some time off from work to hang out with the kids.

Old 11-24-2020, 10:48 PM

1,343 posts, read 683,028 times
Usually I roll my eyes a bit at the people who put up the Christmas stuff well before Thanksgiving, but not this year. In 2020 if Christmas stuff pre-Thanksgiving makes you happy and puts a smile on your face, go for it. How many people are not having their traditional holidays this year due to Covid, whether it be family members lost to the virus, or loved ones who are staying at home, etc?. It's just not a normal year and we all need to find the joy wherever we can.

That being said I won't be putting up my Christmas stuff until after Thanksgiving.

Old 11-25-2020, 05:17 AM

8,288 posts, read 5,896,391 times
I haven't put lights up in over 30 years. The neighborhood I used to live in gave away cash prizes for the best house. Right after Thanksgiving it was a ritual for everyone to start stringing lights and put up decorations.
I had a neighbor across the street who was always good for entertainment doing that chore. He had to drag a bunch of junk out of his cluttered garage just to get his tangled mess of Christmas lights out and spend 30 minutes sitting in his driveway untangling them.
One morning I woke up to the sound of screaming and hollering and saw him up on his roof stomping and jumping up and down trying to get his wife to come out, his ladder had blown over.
Not many people around here these days put up lights anymore, some only put a wreath on their door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events