Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2021, 08:55 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times

Advertisements

I miss so much of everything. I miss traditional in-person meetings at work, going to restaurants, gym, grocery store without being paranoid about being close to people. I miss visiting my mom (although I will be able to in a few weeks since I am fully vaccinated and she will be in a couple weeks). Going to bars, happy hours, flying, etc. There is so much that I miss that I took for granted before. I admit, now that I'm fully vaccinated, I feel a lot more comfortable being out and about. But I am still very cautious and until the majority of the country is vaccinated, I'm still playing it safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2021, 09:17 PM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
Just the other day, my GF mentioned how much she misses going to a restaurant - any restaurant, even if it's Applebee's - ordering a glass of wine and being served

Where I live all restaurants are open. Perhaps its not covid but where you live.

Old 02-25-2021, 09:32 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,308,178 times
I miss overseas and interstate travel. The first is impossible and the second risky due to ever changing border restrictions.

Old 02-25-2021, 09:50 PM

29,515 posts, read 22,653,459 times
The only thing I miss about pre-covid is the international travel.

Other than that, I'm opposite opinion of many folk in that I don't really miss much, and in fact what I will miss is the stay at home and work from home aspects of life once things go back to how they were before.

I've always been a homebody so adjusting wasn't bad at all. I enjoy being away from work as much as possible since there are some co-workers I despise with a passion and hate seeing their stupid faces. I enjoy doing nothing at home but watching TV, surfing the internet, and playing videogames. In fact this entire covid-19 experience has given me something to look forward to because now I know retirement will finally be my reward for many long years of dedicated hard work, and that retirement is relaxing all day and night at home, except for the little things I need to do to get out of the house like get groceries.

Old 02-26-2021, 02:29 AM

2,450 posts, read 972,943 times
Quote:
I miss those days in which I thoughtlessly planned a bus-ride trip to the Hollywood Bowl for an outdoor concert among thousands of persons. Packing a basket with snacks, water, and wine was part of the thrill. Best yet, there was nothing like sitting next to total strangers on the bus and striking up a conversation about the concert and more. I pray for days like these again.

Being a member of a Hiking Club, I miss meeting with a group of strangers and taking on a trail within or just outside of the Greater Los Angeles Area.

I miss the two gyms I was a member of. Although I did not speak with most regulars (we were not there to chit-chat), I truly miss making eye contact with regular gym rats and from time to time waving hello at them.

What do you miss?
My income.

Old 02-26-2021, 04:18 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,387,812 times
Quote:

What do you miss?
I miss being home alone.
I miss going to the movies.
I miss going to the library.
I miss hoping on an airplane and taking a day trip to another city.
I miss my International travel.

Old 02-26-2021, 05:18 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Where I live all restaurants are open. Perhaps its not covid but where you live.
I don't think it's a question of whether or not restaurants are open. Airports, restaurants, stores are all open to some extent. It's the question of whether people feel comfortable going to them. I miss going to restaurants and all those things because even though I "could" go to them, I have not felt comfortable doing so during the pandemic. Even now that I'm fully vaccinated, I'm still not yet ready to go back to those places. It will probably be at lesat 2022 (assuming the "pandemic" is declared over sometime then) before I feel comfortable going to restaurants, movies, etc.

Old 02-26-2021, 05:55 AM

610 posts, read 264,127 times
1. Travel- I did go to FL back in Nov and am going again in a few weeks but I used to take multiple long-weekend trips throughout the year to different places

2. The office- I actually like my boss and co-workers. WFH certainly has it's perks and I plan to do it 1-2 days per week still but not a fan of doing it full time

3. Live theater- I am a big Broadway fan and to make things worse the last show I did see before everything shut down was a total dud

4. The gym- my CrossFit gym has been open since this past June (outdoors until late-October then moved indoors with strict distancing and capacity limits) but the restrictions have really limited the amount of equipment and other things we can do. The workouts have become "boring".

Old 02-26-2021, 05:56 AM

4,190 posts, read 2,509,475 times
Going to the gym, hosting dinners for family and friends. (My gym is open but I am high risk; after my second shot, I'm going to start going again.)

Old 02-26-2021, 07:29 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Even though masks are not mandatory in my area about half still wear them in most public places. I miss seeing peoples faces and smiles and being able to hear what they are saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events