Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2021, 05:49 PM

2,557 posts, read 2,215,987 times

Advertisements

A little out of my lane, but is taking out 26 student loans considered average?

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/studs...134133697.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2021, 09:44 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
So, did she major in "working multiple retail jobs?"

Old 03-30-2021, 03:56 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
So, did she major in "working multiple retail jobs?"

Apparently she majored in how to let the US eat her debt.

She went for culinary arts and medical science which are 2 very different fields. I'm clueless what you need the medical science for but it looks like it allowed her to work in the medical field.

What I don't understand is how she went from working in the medical field to retail jobs which seems to be what allowed her to discharge all of that debt she incurred plus the fact that she's legally disabled.

I do not agree with discharging student loans. Don't go to school if you can't afford it. I know many people that did the same thing even when I gave my opinion, telling them to think twice because it can't be discharged in bankruptcy and may follow them until they die. Now they're drowning in debt, wish they would have listened to me.

Old 03-30-2021, 07:13 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,466,846 times
The depth of the conniving human mind has no boundaries. It's what happens when the bleeding heart helps without demanding any accountability.

This is what feeds and strengthens the conservative self-protective mode. We like helping people, but we refuse to let the piranha consume us as we do so.

Old 03-30-2021, 08:26 AM

3,023 posts, read 2,235,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Apparently she majored in how to let the US eat her debt.

She went for culinary arts and medical science which are 2 very different fields. I'm clueless what you need the medical science for but it looks like it allowed her to work in the medical field.

What I don't understand is how she went from working in the medical field to retail jobs which seems to be what allowed her to discharge all of that debt she incurred plus the fact that she's legally disabled.

I do not agree with discharging student loans. Don't go to school if you can't afford it. I know many people that did the same thing even when I gave my opinion, telling them to think twice because it can't be discharged in bankruptcy and may follow them until they die. Now they're drowning in debt, wish they would have listened to me.
Roselvr, I usually agree with you, but not this time.

I agree that this is an incredible amount of debt for 2 associates degrees. It appears from the article that she made multiple good faith attempts to obtain jobs related to her training, and when/if that didn't work out, she took a job, any job, to keep on keeping on.

It's a bit of a pickle... you can't get the job without the training, and you can't pay for the training without the job. So I disagree with "Don't go to school if you can't afford it" because for some, that's the only way to advance.

Old 03-30-2021, 08:43 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post

I agree that this is an incredible amount of debt for 2 associates degrees. It appears from the article that she made multiple good faith attempts to obtain jobs related to her training, and when/if that didn't work out, she took a job, any job, to keep on keeping on.

It's a bit of a pickle... you can't get the job without the training, and you can't pay for the training without the job. So I disagree with "Don't go to school if you can't afford it" because for some, that's the only way to advance.

From what I was reading, she was paying the loans while she worked in the medical field. My curiosity is why didn't she continue in the medical field when she moved. Why did she start doing retail.

I also don't understand why she went for a 2nd degree when she already had one. She put herself in more debt. I know people who have done the same thing because they didn't like the field they got the degree in.

I'm really sick of the huge debt from student loans, Something needs to give.

Old 03-30-2021, 08:56 AM

5,962 posts, read 3,706,857 times
It isn't just this woman's case that is appalling. It's millions of similar cases where students run up huge student loan debt getting degrees in fields that qualify them for nothing. This woman got 26 different student loans over a period of 9 years, and the best job she could get was a short-order cook????? Gimme a break! If you can fog a mirror placed under your nose, you can get a job as a short-order cook in a fast food place. What did she learn in the 9 years that she was getting all these loans? Apparently all she learned was how to game the system!

The whole d**n student loan program needs to be revised. There needs to be some stricter guidelines applied to how much a student can borrow, what field of study they are pursuing, and what progress they are making in achieving their goals. If they can't meet some reasonable guidelines, their borrowing ability should be shut off.

Old 03-30-2021, 09:10 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,466,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
It isn't just this woman's case that is appalling. It's millions of similar cases where students run up huge student loan debt getting degrees in fields that qualify them for nothing. This woman got 26 different student loans over a period of 9 years, and the best job she could get was a short-order cook????? Gimme a break! If you can fog a mirror placed under your nose, you can get a job as a short-order cook in a fast food place. What did she learn in the 9 years that she was getting all these loans? Apparently all she learned was how to game the system!

The whole d**n student loan program needs to be revised. There needs to be some stricter guidelines applied to how much a student can borrow, what field of study they are pursuing, and what progress they are making in achieving their goals. If they can't meet some reasonable guidelines, their borrowing ability should be shut off.
Agreed. The students, upon graduating, should serve a state-designated community for five years at a reduced paycheck. Live there. Work there. Serve the taxpayers who fathered their education before they're allowed to move to another state or country.

We must demand some sort of accountability. It needs to be put up for discussion.

Old 03-30-2021, 09:19 AM

5,962 posts, read 3,706,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Agreed. The students, upon graduating, should serve a state-designated community for five years at a reduced paycheck. Live there. Work there. Serve the taxpayers who fathered their education before they're allowed to move to another state or country.

We must demand some sort of accountability. It needs to be put up for discussion.
The sarcasm in your post comes through loud and clear, but that doesn't diminish the need for some serious reform to this student loan program. The program, as intended, is a great idea. Unfortunately, lack of serious oversight has allowed exorbitant abuse by some with no apparent recourse and nothing to stop it from happening in the future.

Old 03-30-2021, 09:50 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,425,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post

There is going to school and there is going to the school you can afford. I also can't believe she couldn't find a job in the culinary or the medical industry if she actually graduated. Especially in a time of low unemployment.

Don't take a sob story on face value, there is more to it than what you are reading.

That said, state schools need a major overhaul in how much they are charging students. I may be against the grain here, but state schools charter should be to educate, not to be the top whatever sports team in the country. They should be affordable for all students in the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events