Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2021, 04:07 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,572,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
No dumber than I was.
Fixed that for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2021, 05:05 PM

50,788 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Fixed that for you.
It wasn't just me. Every kid does stupid things at one time or another.

Old 04-15-2021, 08:05 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,760,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don't think the percentage is higher. But back then you wouldn't have heard if Jack in Alabama died playing hide and seek in an old refrigerator and died, or if Jimmy in Tuscaloosa died because he was standing in the back of his friend's pickup truck while his friend raced through a field and hit a bump, or Gary died sniffing airplane glue, or Sam jumped off the roof holding an umbrella (as a poster here did, but luckily didn't die).

The challenges are akin to A Christmas Story, " an internet version of "I triple, double-dog dare you" kind of thing, which resulted in Ralphie's tongue being stuck to a pole.
It was Flick's tongue, not Ralphie's. I know my Christmas movies. LOL

Old 04-15-2021, 08:24 AM

19,636 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
Growing up there was a decrepit but active freight railroad line near my house in Brooklyn. Long freight trains ran a few times a week pulled by two massive electric engines powered by an 11,000 volt overhead catenary. Kids would 'hitch' a ride on the trains and usually jump off at spots where there was a way to exit the right of way and get back home. Some kids were stupid enough to ride on the roofs of the freight cars. In about 1966 a kid from my catholic grade school was electrocuted doing just that. People in the apartment buildings along the tracks near Ocean Parkway called the police but they were unable to stop the train until it got all the way to East New York.

I don't think the trains had two-way radios then and the cops had to light flares on the tracks to stop the trains. The poor kid's first or last name was 'Kenny'. They told us in school how the cops were crying when they told his mother what had happened. But even that didn't stop kids from hitching the trains.

In the early 1970s the overhead wire system was removed because by then very few trains used that line and I guess it didn't pay to maintain the system anymore.
Apparently it can still happen. A few years ago some guy got electrocuted in NY after climbing on top of a passenger train for a stunt.

Adults are into a lot of stupid stunts now- selfies on cliff edges, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events