Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2021, 02:47 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,222,477 times

Advertisements

The baby that they deny is theirs died at 5 days old. They didn’t do a DNA test on the dead baby? Wonder if their baby is alive with a different family.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ays-later.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2021, 03:20 PM

88,293 posts, read 84,292,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
The baby that they deny is theirs died at 5 days old. They didn’t do a DNA test on the dead baby? Wonder if their baby is alive with a different family.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ays-later.html
Not the first time it's happened and probably not the last. Very interesting. There was the famous one in Florida, but I also read a good story about one that was discovered after the babies had grown old and died.

Through DNA and Ancestry.com, two daughters figured out that their fathers had been switched at birth in a NYC hospital in the early 20th century.

Old 04-29-2021, 03:40 PM

128,990 posts, read 11,931,519 times
They should do their own dna test. Maybe the baby was theirs, & they are saying this to cope with the grief. Even though this happened a few years ago, I don't know why they can't do an independent dna test on the dead baby.

Old 04-29-2021, 03:56 PM

35,521 posts, read 17,818,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
They should do their own dna test. Maybe the baby was theirs, & they are saying this to cope with the grief. Even though this happened a few years ago, I don't know why they can't do an independent dna test on the dead baby.
Maybe the baby's been cremated?

Old 04-29-2021, 03:58 PM

This is a compelling story, but pictures can be weird as far as coloring. The family says the belly button is a different shape, but it looks to me like it's the exact same belly button.

When they noticed the bracelets didn't match between the mom and baby, did they keep the bracelets as proof?

In the case of the other Guadalupe, was HER baby diagnosed with problems at birth, or were the health problems missed and neither newborn was assessed for those conditions that killed the baby at 5 days?

Did they complain to anyone that it wasn't their baby, until after the baby died? I would think if they had said in the hospital, at the time of the perceived switch, "this isn't our baby!", the nurse would say yes it is, here, the baby's bracelet and yours match. Was that not done?

Do they have any pics of the lighter colored baby's hair? The hair on the darker baby is distinctive - very thick and black. Are there no pics of the other baby's head?

Old 04-29-2021, 04:16 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,491,491 times
I don't think those two babies look anything alike. And I remember past stories of kids switched in hospitals by accident so it can definitely happen. I do wonder also why if they were so careful to take pictures of the babies for evidence, why if they're claiming the ID numbers on the bracelets didn't match, why they simply wouldn't have taken a picture of the bracelets? Or saved the bracelets? Maybe it would have been too expensive to send away for a cheek swab DNA test to confirm it was their daughter or not, I don't know. But it does seem like there are several steps that if I was so freaked out and sure my child had been switched, I would have taken.

Old 04-29-2021, 04:28 PM

13,262 posts, read 7,978,903 times
The parents of the dead baby say they asked for a DNA test, and were denied by the hospital.

They also say the bracelets did NOT match...but they don't say they brought it up to hospital staff. It would be helpful, if they hung on to the bracelets, to make their case.

Assuming the mother got to see her baby before the baby was whisked away...she KNOWS her baby. She wouldn't be "wondering if someone else has her baby", she'd KNOW someone else had her baby.

Old 04-29-2021, 05:03 PM

12,053 posts, read 10,224,090 times
Don't the bracelets they now use have to be scanned before they do anything?

Old 04-29-2021, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
The parents of the dead baby say they asked for a DNA test, and were denied by the hospital.

They also say the bracelets did NOT match...but they don't say they brought it up to hospital staff. It would be helpful, if they hung on to the bracelets, to make their case.

Assuming the mother got to see her baby before the baby was whisked away...she KNOWS her baby. She wouldn't be "wondering if someone else has her baby", she'd KNOW someone else had her baby.
You would think that, but apparently it's not the case. Mothers who are introduced to their newborns for an hour or so, and the baby is taken away to the nursery for medical stuff, are unable to pick their own newborn out of the babies in the nursery.

I had 3 kids and I find this baffling, because once you have a baby you realize babies do NOT look alike, but the research shows moms can't recognize their own newborns.

But anyway, I wonder WHEN did she decide it wasn't her baby? Was it right away, or was it after the baby died?

I wouldn't let the sun set on noticing the baby they've handed me isn't mine - I'd be complaining until SOMETHING was done, if only to show me the baby the other woman has.

Old 04-29-2021, 06:24 PM

I just caught this line:

But they claim that after their baby was taken out the room by medical staff for tests, that she was swapped with another child

What "tests" did they need to run on the baby, and what was the result of those tests?

Additionally, the baby that appears darker in the photos wasn't born "healthy with no complications" as they state - there are several tubes - a gastric tube, and a nasal tube in the baby. That is not a well baby. Additionally, both babies, the one that appears lighter, and the one that appears darker, have the same therapeutic set up, except for the gastric tube that is present in the one they claim is theirs, and is absent in the one they claim is not.

Also, found this. Premature babies can be born very dark, but lighten up quickly:

https://www.babygaga.com/baby-comple...anging-colors/

Last edited by ClaraC; 04-29-2021 at 06:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events