Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2021, 06:49 AM

4,045 posts, read 2,128,844 times

Advertisements

We have all heard about wedding crashes and bridezillas, but this couplezilla became wedding squatters, taking entitlement to a new level when they attempted to hold a wedding on someone’s else’s property. And these aren’t young people who don’t know better...they got together thirty years after high school!

There was a mansion and large estate property in Fort Lauderdale that they wanted their wedding to be. They asked the owner, who said it was not for rent. They had toured the property and thought it was unoccupied, so just planned their wedding there, even sending invitations that claimed it was their estate. But the day if the wedding, they learned the owner was living on the property, just in a different house. They refused to leave, saying it was “God’s message.” The cops had to be called. They then left. Charges weren’t pressed.

How did it come to this...that people think they should get and will do anything to get exactly what they want? Where weddings became such lavish events that normal wedding venues just won’t do? I used to work with psychiatric patients. When some of them had delusions of grandeur and claimed they were somebody or possessed something they did not, it was considered delusional and pathological? And how would friends and family not know that this multimillion dollar estate wasn’t theirs?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...e31_story.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...d-romance.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2021, 07:43 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
Yowza!

I wonder if the marriage actually took place, and I wonder if the bride was in on the whole deal. How the heck did he think he was going to get past the gate? At least the real owner was able to keep these folks at bay, somewhat.

What a mess...but for some reason, the story makes me laugh.

Old 04-30-2021, 07:54 AM

765 posts, read 620,525 times
People don't have to have mental ilnesses to have massive entitlement issues. And the people who got invitations could just be gullible or overly trusting.

Old 04-30-2021, 08:00 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Well! I guess they're big believers in 'the good lord helps those that help themselves'. They just wanted to help themselves to someone else's property, lmao.
I hope the notoriety bites them in the butt on any future endeavors.

Old 04-30-2021, 08:00 AM

The bride did know where the wedding was taking place. According to someone on Facebook who supposedly knows the bride, she had not communicated with the groom for 30 years after high school, but then they were back in touch and he convinced her that he was rich and the estate was his, and thus the wedding invites saying Wilson (his last name) Manor. Was the bride that naive and gullible or did she just want to believe that she struck gold with a fabulously rich man?

From what reporters can tell, they have not yet gotten married.

Old 04-30-2021, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Well! I guess they're big believers in 'the good lord helps those that help themselves'. They just wanted to help themselves to someone else's property, lmao.
I hope the notoriety bites them in the butt on any future endeavors.
They say it’s Gods message...that he wants and blesses their union. How they know this I don’t know. I thought God be too busy to be a wedding planner! I also thought there was that inconvenient thought shalt not steal thingy! I love what Susan B. Anthony said that it’s amazing how often God’s wishes supposedly coincide exactly with what people most want!

Old 04-30-2021, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
The bride did know where the wedding was taking place. According to someone on Facebook who supposedly knows the bride, she had not communicated with the groom for 30 years after high school, but then they were back in touch and he convinced her that he was rich and the estate was his, and thus the wedding invites saying Wilson (his last name) Manor. Was the bride that naive and gullible or did she just want to believe that she struck gold with a fabulously rich man?

From what reporters can tell, they have not yet gotten married.

Yeah...regarding the bride...didn't she wonder why he never invited her to spend the night at this estate or anything? LOL

The article says that the groom had been there before, posing as a potential buyer of the estate, and that was the first and last time he'd ever been there before...right?

Of course...I suppose he could've told everyone it was a friend's estate, and had permission to use it for the weekend or something, I guess.

I used to work with a guy, who I became friendly with (just friendly...nothing romantic) who's brother was supposedly getting married. His family was supposedly wealthy, and lived on an estate somewhere around Springfield, MO (if I remember correctly.) It was to be a grand affair, with plenty of elegance. He asked if I wanted to go with him (and his wife) to this elegant wedding with him, and oh by the way, his family and Brad Pitt's family were good friends, and they (including Brad) would be there as well.

Well, at first, I thought he was on the up and up, although at first, I thought maybe he was just getting carried away, and when push came to shove, I wouldn't be going, cause maybe the invite list was tight already, or some such. And I would explain that I was a single mom, and there was no way I could afford some kind of elegant attire for this thing, and he assured me that he talked to his mom about it, and his mom and I were about the same size, and she was cool with letting me borrow a gown for the affair. (I know how ridiculous this sounds, and you're wondering how the heck I could be so naïve. Looking back on it all, so am I. LOL) I would even question him on how his mom could be OK with lending out a fancy dress to someone she didn't even know. But he explained that his mom was just really sweet, down to earth, and if her son said I was cool, than she was fine with it.

These conversations went on for months...and over time, I believed him. I started getting excited over the idea of attending a once-in-a-lifetime event like this.

But as I'm sure you figured out...I didn't get to attend this huge wedding gala. Didn't get to meet the Pitts, didn't get to wear a fancy gown, etc. Cinderella didn't get to go to the ball. I'm trying to remember how it all went down, that I wouldn't be able to go. I think he told me that his mother, on second thought, had second thoughts about me borrowing the dress, wouldn't be room for me, etc.

I wasn't devastated or anything. I think I always had a nugget of skepticism about the whole thing...but it sure changed my opinion of him. He also had some other outlandish stories after the whole wedding thing...and we (there was a handful of us that were friends) started to realize he was something of a compulsive liar.

Old 04-30-2021, 11:45 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookashiny View Post
People don't have to have mental ilnesses to have massive entitlement issues. And the people who got invitations could just be gullible or overly trusting.

As far as I'm concerned, anybody that claims a 'god' of any sort gave them a message has a mental illness.

Old 04-30-2021, 12:08 PM

Quote:

Why WOULD a guest question the venue? You get an invitation and it says "be here on this day at this time" and you go.

Old 04-30-2021, 12:19 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
i guess im just lucky that every event i have been invited to the hosts had a legal right to have the event there. i have failed to do my due diligence every time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events