Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2021, 09:12 AM

87,965 posts, read 83,789,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdriver74 View Post
Governor and mayor of NO say there wasn't enough time to order mandatory evacuations. This thing has been aimed at LA for a week. How much time do they need? Perhaps a quicker plan is needed.
Just saw the LA gov on CNN. He said they are as prepared as they can be.

Old 08-29-2021, 09:24 AM

1,951 posts, read 1,549,592 times
They had a bit more time to prepare with Katrina, as it has formed east of Florida. This storm rapidly intensified in the Gulf of Mexico. We are likely going to see some devastating images of damages from this in the coming days(entire city blocks leveled, massive flooding, etc.). This is a time when we need to come together as Americans. Keep these people in the path of this storm in your thoughts and prayers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2021, 09:34 AM

35,512 posts, read 17,680,674 times
Here's a collection of live webcams from the affected area and surrounding cities.

https://www.nola.com/news/hurricane/...56bab7680.html

Old 08-29-2021, 09:38 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,663,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdriver74 View Post
Governor and mayor of NO say there wasn't enough time to order mandatory evacuations. This thing has been aimed at LA for a week. How much time do they need? Perhaps a quicker plan is needed.
A week?

The spaghetti tracks from just two days ago showed the eye hitting anywhere from western Louisiana to the Florida-Mississippi border. You can't just evacuate hundreds of miles of coast every time there's a possibility of a tropical storm making landfall there. The populace wouldn't stand for it.

And ... a week ago? Seriously? A week ago the NWS merely noted the potential of a tropical storm developing. It wasn't even given the temporary name of Tropical Depression Nine until four days ago. And it wasn't until changing weather patterns (partly due to Hurricane Nora in the Pacific moving more rapidly than expected, thereby changing incoming flows) that it became clear that serious potential for a major hurricane was present - a mere three days ago.

Let's be very clear: a week ago no one had the foggiest idea that a major hurricane was at all likely to hit New Orleans.

Old 08-29-2021, 09:43 AM

35,512 posts, read 17,680,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
A week?

The spaghetti tracks from just two days ago showed the eye hitting anywhere from western Louisiana to the Florida-Mississippi border. You can't just evacuate hundreds of miles of coast every time there's a possibility of a tropical storm making landfall there. The populace wouldn't stand for it.

And ... a week ago? Seriously? A week ago the NWS merely noted the potential of a tropical storm developing. It wasn't even given the temporary name of Tropical Depression Nine until four days ago. And it wasn't until changing weather patterns (partly due to Hurricane Nora in the Pacific moving more rapidly than expected, thereby changing incoming flows) that it became clear that serious potential for a major hurricane was present - a mere three days ago.

Let's be very clear: a week ago no one had the foggiest idea that a major hurricane was at all likely to hit New Orleans.
The first major predictions tracked it coming through the Texas coast and tracking up northwest through Central Texas.

Old 08-29-2021, 09:56 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,315,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
From what I recall, Hurricane Katrina had pretty much moved through, with some damage but not such a big deal, when the levy broke. And THAT was what caused the catastrophe.

After Katrina, I was involved in helping out with the evacuees that came to central Texas, and became aware of the serious problems there with critical emergencies:

1. There is a significant generational poverty there, and many have no means to leave, not even the ability to purchase a bus ticket

2. No money even to spend one night in a hotel;

3. And no friends or acquaintances who live outside the immediate area, although they have a large family network - that lives locally.

I think this dynamic will be played out again, this week. Awful to sit here and wait.
--------------------
Back then,the state gov said if you stay,take a hammer and go to the attic,some folks dont even have a hammer or any good tool ,well,water level reached the attic and people drowned in the attic.
One guy in his 30s said he lied on the floor and used his feet to kick the attic ceiling and managed to escape,but how many are strong enough to do that .
Some went to the second floor and thought how can water reached second floor,well it did.
Many dont have cars or money to fill gas,or know anyone who has a good reliable car,also even if you get a ride,you need money to buy food along the way.
But many who stay just dont believe the flooding can be that bad .

Old 08-29-2021, 10:00 AM

9,484 posts, read 16,372,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
From what I recall, Hurricane Katrina had pretty much moved through, with some damage but not such a big deal, when the levy broke. And THAT was what caused the catastrophe.

After Katrina, I was involved in helping out with the evacuees that came to central Texas, and became aware of the serious problems there with critical emergencies:

1. There is a significant generational poverty there, and many have no means to leave, not even the ability to purchase a bus ticket

2. No money even to spend one night in a hotel;

3. And no friends or acquaintances who live outside the immediate area, although they have a large family network - that lives locally.

I think this dynamic will be played out again, this week. Awful to sit here and wait.
Yes I imagine Texas did get a high number of Katrina evacuees. So I guess you would become aware of the poverty and problems with critical emergencies in LA.

I lived in Portland during Katrina and I remember meeting several people from LA, that were relocated to Portland after Katrina. One family told me they originally were sent to the Houston area, and then put on a plane for Portland. If I remember correctly they told me the day they were leaving Houston, they were not sure if they were being sent to Salt Lake City or Portland. They found out at the Houston airport where they were going. It must have been some agency that was sending people to different areas of the USA. These people had lost everything and had absolutely nothing to return to back in the New Orleans area.

Unfortunately it does look like the same horrible problems are all going to happen again with this Ida. Hopefully some major improvements with Hurricane barriers, took place to prevent that horrible flooding.

Old 08-29-2021, 10:12 AM

87,965 posts, read 83,789,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Yes I imagine Texas did get a high number of Katrina evacuees. So I guess you would become aware of the poverty and problems with critical emergencies in LA.

I lived in Portland during Katrina and I remember meeting several people from LA, that were relocated to Portland after Katrina. One family told me they originally were sent to the Houston area, and then put on a plane for Portland. If I remember correctly they told me the day they were leaving Houston, they were not sure if they were being sent to Salt Lake City or Portland. They found out at the Houston airport where they were going. It must have been some agency that was sending people to different areas of the USA. These people had lost everything and had absolutely nothing to return to back in the New Orleans area.

Unfortunately it does look like the same horrible problems are all going to happen again with this Ida. Hopefully some major improvements with Hurricane barriers, took place to prevent that horrible flooding.
Yup, on one of Kamau Bell's United Shades of America episodes, they interviewed poor people who were taken out of their apartment complex and shipped to other states by bus before Katrina. After the storm, their damaged apartment buildings and everything in them were removed and the land sold to a developer who put up expensive housing. The people were sent back home but there was no place for them to go. Their homes and all their possessions were gone, and there was no plan for them.

Old 08-29-2021, 10:20 AM

4,841 posts, read 2,950,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I hear this could be as strong as Katrina. There is a lot going on in the world right now and feel this hurricane has taken a back seat in the news. I remember days before Katrina they were begging people to evacuate and arranging evacuations but not so much for this one. Maybe they’re hoping the new levies hold. Let’s hope they’re right.

Elected officials in this state are lazy, and stupid.
While outbound interstate lanes were jammed yesterday, the governor said it would have taken "days" to reverse the traffic flow; wrong!.
Thoughts and prayers are with residents enduring yet another storm, we're about to see if the billions spent after Katrina was worth the tax dollars.

Old 08-29-2021, 10:41 AM

16,847 posts, read 10,474,700 times
Can you imagine if we had to cram people into stadiums and shelters again but this time with COVID? What a potential nightmare.
Moderators for US and World Forums
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events