Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2021, 09:56 AM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I hope a miracle happens and it at least weakens some before hitting them. I thought Katrina was as bad as they got, evidently this Ida is even worse.
Katrina was bad enough, but the real devastation came about when the levees were breached and the flood waters came. Apparently Katrina's winds were not as destructive as had been expected, I recall listening to the news and hearing talk about how New Orleans had "dodged a bullet", windwise. This was just before the levees started breaking, of course that was when the disaster started in earnest and all hell broke loose.

They're saying the levees have been repaired and updated/fortified, and they are expecting them to stand, to avoid the flooding that occurred after Katrina. Let's hope they are right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2021, 10:13 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yup, on one of Kamau Bell's United Shades of America episodes, they interviewed poor people who were taken out of their apartment complex and shipped to other states by bus before Katrina. After the storm, their damaged apartment buildings and everything in them were removed and the land sold to a developer who put up expensive housing. The people were sent back home but there was no place for them to go. Their homes and all their possessions were gone, and there was no plan for them.
Wow, that is really messed up!. I said something along those lines on the Florida apartment building collapse thread. That they will use this as an excuse to condemn older buildings so they can knock them down and put up new expensive ones. And the squeeze to the middle class, working class and the poor continues.

Old 08-29-2021, 10:19 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,179,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Elected officials in this state are lazy, and stupid.
That's putting it pretty harshly, but I will say as a Louisiana resident for 2 years (grad school in New Orleans during the 90s), I found the place to be inefficient, poorly managed and slow, slow, slow to react to anything. So, I can certainly understand your comment above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post

They're saying the levees have been repaired and updated/fortified, and they are expecting them to stand, to avoid the flooding that occurred after Katrina. Let's hope they are right.
I know several people who live in NOLA and per Facebook posts, it looks like they were all out on the road by Friday. One of them complained that multiple pumps in his area of New Orleans (Lakeview) were all offline and not working. In the middle of Hurricane season. That kind of thing is typical of how they do things there, sadly.

Fingers crossed for the state of Louisiana. They have really taken it for the team the past couple of years. I live in the Houston area on the water and I know the worry and stress of living on the Gulf Coast during hurricane season and the annual preparations you have to go through.

Old 08-29-2021, 10:22 AM

15,523 posts, read 10,489,155 times
It's over Grand Isle now 11am.

Old 08-29-2021, 10:52 AM

4,935 posts, read 3,044,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
That's putting it pretty harshly, but I will say as a Louisiana resident for 2 years (grad school in New Orleans during the 90s), I found the place to be inefficient, poorly managed and slow, slow, slow to react to anything. So, I can certainly understand your comment above.

I know it was(my apologies)harsh, and based upon the interviews I saw yesterday live on the weather channel. Even local officials seemingly make excuses for not being prepared, and having time to give live interviews the day before a Cat 5.?
Slow is OK under many circumstances.

But I've been through 4 hurricanes when I resided in Florida; and slow only makes the aftermath that much worse...and more expensive.
Was it Lake Charles I saw on national news last week?.
The Mayor was pleading for last years' financial aid from Laura et al storms.
If this were South Florida, said aid would have arrived the day after; particularly during an election year.

Old 08-29-2021, 10:56 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yup, on one of Kamau Bell's United Shades of America episodes, they interviewed poor people who were taken out of their apartment complex and shipped to other states by bus before Katrina. After the storm, their damaged apartment buildings and everything in them were removed and the land sold to a developer who put up expensive housing. The people were sent back home but there was no place for them to go. Their homes and all their possessions were gone, and there was no plan for them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Can you imagine if we had to cram people into stadiums and shelters again but this time with COVID? What a potential nightmare.
Didn’t even think of that!

Old 08-29-2021, 11:14 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,607 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Didn’t even think of that!
Someone said they're requiring masks and temperature checks in the shelters.

Old 08-29-2021, 12:07 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Someone said they're requiring masks and temperature checks in the shelters.
What are they going to do if they have a temp? Can’t just send them home. Hopefully they have separate areas.

Old 08-29-2021, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post

I know several people who live in NOLA and per Facebook posts, it looks like they were all out on the road by Friday. One of them complained that multiple pumps in his area of New Orleans (Lakeview) were all offline and not working. In the middle of Hurricane season. That kind of thing is typical of how they do things there, sadly.

Fingers crossed for the state of Louisiana. They have really taken it for the team the past couple of years. I live in the Houston area on the water and I know the worry and stress of living on the Gulf Coast during hurricane season and the annual preparations you have to go through.

Ah geez. Of course all the official muckety mucks are right there on the cable news programs bragging

about how the levees have all been updated and fortified, and saying there won't be the issues with flooding they had after Katrina.

It doesn't make for any vote of confidence in them to see, or hear that many of the pumps aren't working
at this time, are they doing anything to get them back online?. Or were, this storm's upon them right now.

I feel for the people in the path of Ida- though the news media has decided Ida will be New Orlean's storm, there will be other areas in LA, Alabama, Mississippi that will be just as badly affected. I'm all to familiar first hand with the devastating effects of major hurricanes, we lived in Miami for 36 years and went through hurricane Andrew in 1992. That was the worst, though we have gone through several hurricanes since then.

Old 08-29-2021, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
What are they going to do if they have a temp? Can’t just send them home. Hopefully they have separate areas.

I'd bet they will have masks to give out to the people who don't have them, if they're requiring masks ( of course they are...).

They can't turn anyone away to face the wrath of the storm out there in the elements. There may be areas of quarantine, as far as they can, and space allowing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events