Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2022, 12:14 PM

1,366 posts, read 994,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Any time there see a female even a little distraught with another male means, the man now must be held for 24 hrs. That is what this means.
NO

You want to arrest (hold and arrest are the same thing) an individual without probable cause, nor reasonable suspicion a crime has been committed, or about to be committed? No. This is something we fought the revolutionary war over.

And I am sorry, but a female 'even a little distraught with another male' does not give LE a reasonable suspicion a crime is about to be committed.

I feel bad for Gabby and her family, but this is NOT the way to do fix a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2022, 02:30 PM

602 posts, read 313,717 times
Brian admitted killing Gabby

https://nypost.com/2022/01/21/brian-...ook-entry-fbi/

Old 01-21-2022, 03:17 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B Kind View Post
tad more info
https://www.foxnews.com/us/gabby-pet...tigation-close

The notebook contained "written statements by Mr. Laundrie claiming responsibility for Ms. Petito’s death," according to the FBI.

Wasn't there something fishy about who found the notebook? (BL parents?)

Weird set of circumstances all around. But all are plausible. Tho plenty of room for speculation / conspiracies.

Sad ending to a sad story and a sad relationship that failed, and took (2) lives, even when friends and family had warning signs.

Don't be afraid to intervene.

Old 01-21-2022, 03:26 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,613,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
tad more info
https://www.foxnews.com/us/gabby-pet...tigation-close

The notebook contained "written statements by Mr. Laundrie claiming responsibility for Ms. Petito’s death," according to the FBI.

Wasn't there something fishy about who found the notebook? (BL parents?)

Weird set of circumstances all around. But all are plausible. Tho plenty of room for speculation / conspiracies.

Sad ending to a sad story and a sad relationship that failed, and took (2) lives, even when friends and family had warning signs.

Don't be afraid to intervene.
And maybe that's the answer (bolded highlighted) when we can't have police too involved in relationships that they have no background information on. Not that the Moab police couldn't have done better, there's always room for improvement, but to read this couple? Impossible, and the crime was too minor and would have just gotten her arrested instead of him, apparently, argumentatively, since they downplayed the initial 911 call.

Tried to update the old thread but it's closed.

This story may not yet be over. If the Laundrie parents knew things and hid things, kept quiet on things, civil suit?

Old 01-21-2022, 04:09 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,276,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
The psychological and controlling abuse suffered by Gabby prior to this incident couldn't have been understood by the officers. That Gabby took blame where, if she had understood the abuse she was suffering and that she needed to get away from him, is the tragedy. Young women "in love" often don't understand the danger their partner poses, naively believing their "love" partner would never hurt them. A slap in response to such abuse does not equate to that she was the aggressor, not even close.

I can't see how the Moab police could have been expected to understand the complexity of their relationship. I don't really fault them at all. They saw the minor physical altercation, and didn't feel a need to punish either of them because of that. That somebody has to become the patsy in this case, such as finding fault with the police, is wrong. The situation was far more complex and not known to the police, nor could it have been known without a ten hour explanation of the entire relationship.

Gabby simply didn't understand what was being done to her until it was strangulation time. Then at that moment was too late.
I totally agree with you. The only thing I would have done differently would have been to have Gabby sleep in the motel room instead of her boyfriend. Unfortunately, there will be people that hate the police (until they themselves have to call 911) and will find fault in anything and everything they do.

Old 01-21-2022, 04:21 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,613,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLIER View Post
I totally agree with you. The only thing I would have done differently would have been to have Gabby sleep in the motel room instead of her boyfriend. Unfortunately, there will be people that hate the police (until they themselves have to call 911) and will find fault in anything and everything they do.
Police couldn't have done that if they wanted to. Van title was in Gabby's name, they could not give it to Brian for the night.
Besides, he was trying to drive away with her van, (and took her cell phone) which was why she slapped him in the first place.
He was abusive, and she didn't even realize it.

Old 01-21-2022, 05:24 PM

3,144 posts, read 1,601,500 times
Apparently, he had the presence of mind to employ tactics to evade law enforcement. Guess he realized the ruse was up when the body was found.

"When the FBI released its final statement on the case Friday, investigators also said that Laundrie had attempted to mislead them by holding a fake text conversation with himself, using Petito’s phone.

"The timing and content of these messages are indicative of Mr. Laundrie attempting to deceive law enforcement by giving the impression that Ms. Petito was still alive," the FBI said.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/brian-lau...ller-confessed

Last edited by Maddie104; 01-21-2022 at 05:50 PM..

Old 01-22-2022, 12:42 AM

1,122 posts, read 961,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
The psychological and controlling abuse suffered by Gabby prior to this incident couldn't have been understood by the officers. That Gabby took blame where, if she had understood the abuse she was suffering and that she needed to get away from him, is the tragedy. Young women "in love" often don't understand the danger their partner poses, naively believing their "love" partner would never hurt them. A slap in response to such abuse does not equate to that she was the aggressor, not even close.

I can't see how the Moab police could have been expected to understand the complexity of their relationship. I don't really fault them at all. They saw the minor physical altercation, and didn't feel a need to punish either of them because of that. That somebody has to become the patsy in this case, such as finding fault with the police, is wrong. The situation was far more complex and not known to the police, nor could it have been known without a ten hour explanation of the entire relationship.

Gabby simply didn't understand what was being done to her until it was strangulation time. Then at that moment was too late.
Thank you for what you wrote here. Those officers had no clue at the time. I say this as a Domestic Violence Survivor by the way.

My guess, Brian was a controller as abusers usually are! Clearly, Gabby wasn't the aggressor and in the end who lost their life to the real aggressor? Gabby The signs were there (his family knew it). The road trip was the final straw- he would have her to himself to do what he wanted to do. TRY to CONTROL HER COMPLETELY and away from family/friends.

I had black eyes/bruises when we would visit my ex's family when we lived in El Paso, TX.. They were in TOTAL denial about their brother/son. I later learned that my ex's father abused his mother. They were divorced. I was controlled by my ex. Had to wear the clothes he wanted me to wear and my make up and hair a certain way. When you are young - naive it does not not dawn on you how very strange this all is until after you are away from your abuser. Hindsight is 20/20. I was charmed by this man and his good looks.

My ex did 26 yrs total in prison after I left him for strong armed robbery. There is NO DOUBT I would have ended up killed by this man had I stayed. He was let out of prison in 2014. He did well after his first time in prison at Huntsville State Prison (after I left him) back in El Paso however he re-offended in Little Rock, Arkansas and got 18 yrs. I met my ex when he was in the Marine Corp (stationed at Camp Pendleton) and I was 17 yrs old back in 1970. We have a a daughter together. She has met him one time and that was enough for her. She's 50 yrs old today. I left him when I was 20 yrs old. My family saved my life.

I'm happy to say I re-married in 1987 to a wonderful man who treats me like a queen. We will be married 35 yrs this year.

Old 01-22-2022, 08:27 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLIER View Post
They couldn’t do that. The domestic violence shelter that paid for the hotel room would not pay for Gabby’s room because she was considered the aggressor in the police report.

Old 01-22-2022, 10:35 AM

3,144 posts, read 1,601,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
ya think ?... Glad they are implementing additional training / recognition of domestic violence. Tad too late for Gabby and Brian.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/re...?ocid=msedgntp

https://moabcity.org/595/Investigati...g-12-2021-Peti

full 102 page report here:
https://moabcity.org/DocumentCenter/...ndrie-Incident
I read the report. Suffice it to say, the officers were too inexperienced. Officer Robbins was in training and Officer Pratt conferred with the Assistant Police Chief who referred him to the code. Officer Pratt misread/misinterpreted the code and the application to the situation. There were other confounding issues as well.

I really doubt 8 hours of domestic abuse training will make a substantial difference. To me it like going to a general practitioner MD for diagnosis of a specialized medical issue. In the ideal world there would be police officers who are specialized in domestic abuse and appropriate referral resources.

The conclusion on page 43 is worth a read.

"There is one thing I would like to point out that I believe is applicable to this case as well as many
domestic violence cases.
Just because Gabby was determined to be the predominant aggressor as it related to this incident,
doesn’t mean she was the long-term predominant aggressor in this relationship. Oftentimes in cases of
domestic violence, the long-term victim gets to a point emotionally where they defend themselves or
act out in such a way where law enforcement is summoned. There have been many times in my career
where someone who we know from past experience to be a long-term victim of domestic violence, gets
arrested for committing an act of domestic violence against their long-term abuser. Despite knowing the
history of those involved, we have had to make a decision based on the information presented to law
enforcement at the time, despite our personal feelings and the known history of the relationship.
It’s very likely Gabby was a long-term victim of domestic violence, whether that be physically, mentally,
and/or emotionally. Gabby had a job which she left in order to travel the country with Brian. Gabby was
trying to start an online career which Brian didn’t support or believe she could accomplish. Brian tried
locking Gabby out of the van in an attempt to control her movements. Brian said he was trying to
“make” Gabby calm down and Gabby said she was trying to get Brian to stop telling her to calm down.
Gabby also said Brian kept telling her to “shut up.” Based on the information provided, I can only
assume the act of Brian grabbing Gabby’s face, was his attempt to “make” Gabby calm down or “make”
her shut up. Although the act of grabbing someone’s face, like in this case, rarely causes any significant
injury, I find that the specific act of grabbing someone’s face is extremely personal, violent, and
controlling. Just because there may have been some signs that Brian was the long-term predominant
aggressor, law enforcement could only act on the information they were provided."

Last edited by Maddie104; 01-22-2022 at 10:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events