Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2022, 10:12 PM

88,860 posts, read 85,274,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
With the massive proliferation of guns in the nation, no place is safe. Thank you NRA.
Well, it's not the first train shooting. Remember Colin Ferguson on the LIRR back in the 90s? That one was scary to me because I was also a train commuter to NYC at the time, although I wasn't on that system. Not that it mattered--all you needed was one crazy, and there's no place to run on a train.

Ferguson shot random people, though. This sounds like either a hit or revenge, a targeted killing.

Old 01-18-2022, 10:43 PM

The more I think about it, the more I realize there probably wasn't a lot of time between the sound of the gunshots and the passenger noting the gunman (saw a guy with a gun in his hand?) and the disembarkment of the gunman.

Put yourself in the killer's shoes. If I get on a train planning to shoot someone on that train, I'm going to do it just before the train pulls into the station so I can get off before people start putting together what's what.

He likely planned it around that train, which only had 81 passengers. Not sure how big the train was, but say it had a 10-car consist, that's only about eight per car.

Then stole a car once he got off.

Old 01-19-2022, 12:46 AM

3,976 posts, read 2,004,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
From the article posted here:

What is missing here is, did this guy Shaw SEE that a person had been shot? It only says he heard a gunshot. Then he turns his back to the gunman and pushes his son into a restroom and out of harm's way and tells the crew members he saw the gunman get off at the station. Did he know a man had gotten shot? What did he see exactly? A guy carrying a gun?

It doesn't explain why the train didn't stay stopped, but it also is not clear at what point someone found the victim or anyone actually knew that a person had been shot. There is information missing.

In another article, it says now that they are looking for a car stolen in Lee's Summit shortly after the guy got off the train there.

https://www.kmbc.com/article/indepen...hicle/38804806
With more info, it indeed sounds like a planned "hit", and less like a random beef between strangers.

It also looks like somebody at Amtrak screwed up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2022, 12:52 AM

3,976 posts, read 2,004,012 times
Quote:
Well, it's not the first train shooting. Remember Colin Ferguson on the LIRR back in the 90s? That one was scary to me because I was also a train commuter to NYC at the time, although I wasn't on that system. Not that it mattered--all you needed was one crazy, and there's no place to run on a train.

Ferguson shot random people, though. This sounds like either a hit or revenge, a targeted killing.
Colin Ferguson was a mentally unhinged black nationalist, and chose a train to kill white people for the reason you identified, people could not get away from him.

Just one of the reasons I personally do not care for public transportation, as it is full of the public.

Old 01-19-2022, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
Colin Ferguson was a mentally unhinged black nationalist, and chose a train to kill white people for the reason you identified, people could not get away from him.

Just one of the reasons I personally do not care for public transportation, as it is full of the public.
I hear you. I managed to survive public transportation for 37 years, but it was inside the office that I narrowly escaped death. Ya never know. Best I can tell you is always note where the exits are, and wear shoes you can run in.

I hope they catch this guy, and as bad as it sounds, I hope it was a targeted killing, not just some nut who picked someone at random. That could give other nuts ideas.

Old 01-19-2022, 07:48 AM

8,149 posts, read 7,527,147 times
Quote:

For the record, Colin Ferguson shot random white people. He was deranged and thought he was commanded by God, or that he was God, or whatever, and wanted to kill "white devils". This led to Kunstler & Kuby's famous (infamous) "black rage" defense which thankfully did not work.

Old 01-19-2022, 08:20 AM

16,581 posts, read 10,728,813 times
Quote:
He likely planned it around that train, which only had 81 passengers. Not sure how big the train was, but say it had a 10-car consist, that's only about eight per car.
According to Wiki, the River Runner consists of three to five coaches, plus a cafe car. Nevertheless, your point still stands. The train wasn't very crowded.

Old 01-19-2022, 08:22 AM

620 posts, read 345,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
With the massive proliferation of guns in the nation, no place is safe. Thank you NRA.
Alec Baldwin has killed more people with a gun than 99.99% of NRA gun owners.

Old 01-19-2022, 09:37 AM

102,300 posts, read 108,407,525 times
Quote:
Sounds like the basis for a mystery movie or TV show.
This. Weren't trains always considered risky, due to the isolation of the private compartments, and insufficient staff presence in the cars? And what could staff do, if they'd encountered a crime scene, anyway? They're not police; they're just customer service staff. Obviously, they could report it, but that's all they could do.

Old 01-19-2022, 09:44 AM

8,149 posts, read 7,527,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This. Weren't trains always considered risky, due to the isolation of the private compartments, and insufficient staff presence in the cars?
I have never considered Amtrak travel risky, at least not from a personal security point of view. Although I'm male and I haven't taken an Amtrak sleeper since the 90's. Maybe things are different now.

Quote:
And what could staff do, if they'd encountered a crime scene, anyway? They're not police; they're just customer service staff. Obviously, they could report it, but that's all they could do.
That's the point. If a crime, especially a murder, is committed on an Amtrak train there should be a procedure to follow, which involves notifying the police and it certainly should involve the train staying at the station until police can examine the crime scene.

It's nothing new for Amtrak passengers to be offloaded onto a bus after a mishap or disruption, and continue their journey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events