Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2022, 03:03 PM

17,142 posts, read 15,350,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaubleau View Post
I believe that is considered racist now. Calling the police on people who are breaking the law seems to disadvantage one particular race, and we can't have that now can we?
What in the world have you been drinking today? What does any of this have to do with race?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2022, 03:09 PM

6,786 posts, read 4,224,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Well, this is from the article (bolding added by me):

However, passenger Chris Shaw, who was traveling with his young son, told ABC affiliate station KMBC in Kansas City, Missouri, that he heard he gunshot. He said he immediately told Amtrak crew members he saw the gunman get off the train in Lee's Summit and asked them to call the police.

Shaw said that after hearing the shot, he turned his back to the gunman and pushed his son into a restroom and out of harm's way. He said he doesn't understand why police weren't immediately called and the train wasn't stopped as soon as it pulled out of Lee's Summit.

"If you're on a plane or a train or a school or anywhere, and you hear gunshots, you call the police, you stop," Shaw said. "You don't wait 40 minutes while there's a guy dead lying on a seat."

So we have a statement from a passenger saying he "immediately" told the crew about the shooting and that he saw the gunman get off the train. That's all I have to go on, until we have a statement from the Amtrak crew saying passenger Chris Shaw is lying about what he told them and when.

Also, I am only commenting about this specific story. If you want to talk about Agatha Christie stories where people are strangled in private compartments, that's fine but it's also irrelevant. The Amtrak River Runner only has coach and business class; there are no private compartments on that train.

None of that really shocks me. To be blunt, when interacting with public-facing employees of large institutions in this country, I usually have encountered lethargy and lack of interest, concern or initiative in situations where interest and/or initiative and/or concern could generate additional work and inconvenience. Naturally, there's exceptions to that, but in my experience it's valid as a 'rule of thumb'.

Old 01-19-2022, 05:35 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaubleau View Post
I believe that is considered racist now. Calling the police on people who are breaking the law seems to disadvantage one particular race, and we can't have that now can we?
Stop. The saying came after the terrorist attacks and referred to things like bags left in public places.

The one guy who did see something did say something.

Old 01-19-2022, 09:40 PM

39,861 posts, read 26,489,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
With the massive proliferation of guns in the nation, no place is safe. Thank you NRA.
Guess what? Amtrak trains are "gun free zones"-or as I like to call them, OSHA for criminals. The victim had no means of protecting himself. Thank you Democrats.

https://aliengearholsters.com/blog/c...-amtrak-train/

Old 01-19-2022, 09:56 PM

77 posts, read 35,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
This is not humorous, folks. It is another example of how our society is breaking down.
lol who is trying to break sociaty down o yeah politicans and da who wants to say criminal is victims and we need to let them go because jails are for profit and they are in jails for no faulth of their own but system is against them because jails are for profit LOL

Old 01-19-2022, 11:58 PM

3,976 posts, read 1,989,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Guess what? Amtrak trains are "gun free zones"-or as I like to call them, OSHA for criminals. The victim had no means of protecting himself. Thank you Democrats.

https://aliengearholsters.com/blog/c...-amtrak-train/
You mean rules and laws are not followed by criminals? Clearly the NRA is to blame here for a criminal not following Amtrak's policies, that is the only logical conclusion. I guess I'll send back my lifetime NRA card over this incident.

Old 01-20-2022, 04:22 AM

17,142 posts, read 15,350,560 times
Well, this thread has sure gone to ****…
Wow…

Old 01-20-2022, 04:32 AM

182 posts, read 119,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Jeezus H., you can't even feel safe on a friggin Amtrak train these days for crying out loud

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/passenger-...210106942.html

The per/mile fatality rate for trains is a small fraction of what it is for cars and trucks. Do you feel unsafe in a car or truck? Me, neither.

If you're frightened of Amtrak because 1 of their 12,000,000+ annual riders got murdered, then some remedial mathematics is in order.

Old 01-20-2022, 05:19 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,355,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Jeezus H., you can't even feel safe on a friggin Amtrak train these days for crying out loud

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/passenger-...210106942.html
It makes me think of Agatha Christie's book "Murder on the Orient Express"!

Old 01-20-2022, 06:42 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
It makes me think of Agatha Christie's book "Murder on the Orient Express"!
GMTA. . See Post 28.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events