Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2022, 06:16 PM

26,782 posts, read 22,534,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
It's crazy out there, you never know who you will run into. Just speculating, but I wonder if there were more heated words exchanged that worsened this situation (not victim blaming, just trying to see the whole picture).

By the way, the safe thing to do if you think you are being followed is to drive to a police station if possible. Anything but go to your house.

https://news.yahoo.com/woman-bumps-m...162705444.html

If I am looking at the *whole picture,* then the manager of that store shouldn't be there either, instead of risking his life every day.)))

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...e-say/3122520/

Old 01-28-2022, 06:41 PM

1,168 posts, read 776,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Oh yes they do.
I'll believe it when I've witnessed it myself. Until then, I've lived long enough to know that no one is that crazy. Neither is anyone as innocent as they pretend to be.

Old 01-28-2022, 06:55 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,471,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
I'll believe it when I've witnessed it myself. Until then, I've lived long enough to know that no one is that crazy. Neither is anyone as innocent as they pretend to be.
Are you kidding me?

Yes, people are that crazy. No, you don't have to witness it first hand. All you have to do is read the newspapers and listen to the news.

Old 01-28-2022, 07:53 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,918,303 times
Quote:
I’ve lived long enough to know they do, my brother was a police officer and the things he saw, plus a friend who’s a EMT, yes there are crazies. Also watch the news… regardless, even if the woman acted like a heinous *itch… doesn’t give him the right to shoot her.

Old 01-28-2022, 08:47 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
I think it's more likely that there's more to the story than the woman is letting on.

Following and then shooting someone who apologized to you after accidentally bumping into you? Human beings just don't work that way.
Aren't there subcultures, that regard being bumped into as a personal challenge? Who knows what it meant to that person. Clearly, it meant a lot, though. Where did this take place---WalMart by any chance?

Old 01-28-2022, 11:19 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,453,256 times
Ruminating on the 'crazy knows no boundaries of current events". I used to work in a sketchy inner city border area slightly gentrified, but mostly low income with a school for misguided youth to get themselves (hopefully) righted. The director of facility gave me a tour at the time I worked in the area.

When I walked down the sidewalk and multiple youth were coming toward me after school, I would always say hello - but give them space (so I could observe all of them at once without getting surrounded). You can usually tell when they want to have an encounter or reason to be "dissed', so I would engage (friendly) but position. This happened during daytime and I never felt that threatened, but did make a point to not get close.

Some of them were busted for robbing neighboring small businesses during the time I worked in the area. If you went a few blocks the other way, it was a very dangerous area. A few years after I stopped working in the area a young 11 year old was shot early evening in drive by - he was with dad and didn't fit the predominant demographic as they owned a small business nearby. Some years prior, the neighborhood lost an iconic member of the community in a drugstore robbery shooting.

I can relate two odd "behavior incidents" in the last two weeks. One was on highway. Driving home from work commute I am in far right lane for approaching exit. I'm maintaining safe speed and distance for the inclement winter weather (snow/slush) about 55-58 mph and I get a tailgater flashing me with his brights. Once, twice, thrice... I'm looking at the lanes beside me all going about the same speed or slightly faster maybe 60-65 and I figure, "Hmm, maybe this guys trying to let me know there's something wrong with my car?". So I check my lights, no issue, few more seconds go by the guy flashes his brights 4th time. I maintain same speed with car in front of me about 5 lengths, then the **hole does it again So, I hit my emergency lights to indicate "Hey, I see you". He does it again, I hit my emergency lights again...

As we get to exit (it's one of those exits with two lanes that exit) so, I let him speed by me on the exit ramp (so he could wear out his brakes at the stop light ahead) and then kept in his blind spot on his right. I then followed for a little bit without doing anything other than noting the make model and license plate for future reference. It was an older white male, looked about 60ish. Couldn't figure out what the problem or rush was and certainly would never have tried to confront or ask. But, I do write down these knuckleheads numbers and commit to memory so if I see the car parked somewhere I can leave literature on their windshield.

I like to keep the local state accident report on distracted driving with images of the totaled vehicles. And have on a few occasions been able to observe distracted or terrible driving and see the vehicle stop and park as the driver goes to some business establishment, and then leave it on their windshield to (hopefully) make them pause and think.

A few days later I am walking back to my car after grocery shopping. As I am walking to my car parked in back portion of lot, I see a middle aged man who had rushed to park his sports car in a space designated for delivery orders (due to covid). He hops out and as he's walking toward the store entry the young female worker who was by the side pick up delivery door - having just finished loading up a customer door side pickup order - had asked him to not park there, as "it is designated space for pick up order deliveries".

As I get closer to them he starts giving her a hard time, first saying he's only "going in to return something" - "I'll be quick" - and "there were no other spaces available" (not true). She says, 'sir we've seen you park your car there before, those are not for regular customers you need to move your car".

At which time I have now passed them on my way to my vehicle carrying my bags, and when he's getting increasingly belligerent and pulls the "What's your name!" routine to intimidate her, I stopped, turned and walked back to stand about parallel with her and step closer facing him, and said, "Sir, see the sign, be an adult and follow the instructions." I think he was about to say something to me, but he may have felt the vibe I was giving off by my tone and went back and moved his sports car up to the front side parking area. I have contempt for people who pull that entitlement /intimidation **it on employees simply doing their job.

Since Covid I have observed more people looking to exert themselves or take out their frustrations on others increasing. Reminds me of group psychosis studies that have been conducted on populations. Sort of the 'whip the herd into a frenzy" machinations as everyone is being played off on each other across various realms of society.

Old 01-28-2022, 11:47 PM

1,885 posts, read 1,001,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Aren't there subcultures, that regard being bumped into as a personal challenge? Who knows what it meant to that person. Clearly, it meant a lot, though. Where did this take place---WalMart by any chance?
I mean, it is a very instinctual thing. Bump into a wild animal if you want a demonstration

This is almost definitely an example of someone who has slid so far down the mental drain (no judgement, it can happen to anyone), that they are in a lizard-brain state. You don't even have to go that far into the primitive state, as our closest relatives would act more brutally. Or, as we see on the news every single day, we don't have to go anywhere at all. Why the propensity of victim-blaming, certain people? If you think unexplainable murder is preposterous then, maybe... you're nuts! I understand questioning stories, but what sort of counter-evidence did you bring to the table?

Old 01-29-2022, 12:03 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,826,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevar242 View Post
1] Way more to the story than we have been told.
2] If she was unarmed and hero thug shot at her and Me.
He will not try to kill anyone else ever.
What does this mean?

Old 01-29-2022, 12:13 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,826,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Some people just want to kill other people who have done nothing to them. Random attacks on innocent people are not that uncommon. Recently, several people in different events have been pushed in front of a subway train. A man walked into a furniture store and murdered a woman. Women have been killed simply for saying 'no' to someone making advances to them.
Is there a common element in each of these attacks?

If so, can you avoid it?

Old 01-29-2022, 12:22 AM

1,168 posts, read 776,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
If she bumped into him on purpose then sure. And that would have been a pertinent detail that she left out of her story.

Although I don't know what this subculture would be. I've witnessed this type of behavior from all different types of people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
Ruminating on the 'crazy knows no boundaries of current events". I used to work in a sketchy inner city border area slightly gentrified, but mostly low income with a school for misguided youth to get themselves (hopefully) righted. The director of facility gave me a tour at the time I worked in the area.

When I walked down the sidewalk and multiple youth were coming toward me after school, I would always say hello - but give them space (so I could observe all of them at once without getting surrounded). You can usually tell when they want to have an encounter or reason to be "dissed', so I would engage (friendly) but position. This happened during daytime and I never felt that threatened, but did make a point to not get close.

Some of them were busted for robbing neighboring small businesses during the time I worked in the area. If you went a few blocks the other way, it was a very dangerous area. A few years after I stopped working in the area a young 11 year old was shot early evening in drive by - he was with dad and didn't fit the predominant demographic as they owned a small business nearby. Some years prior, the neighborhood lost an iconic member of the community in a drugstore robbery shooting.

I can relate two odd "behavior incidents" in the last two weeks. One was on highway. Driving home from work commute I am in far right lane for approaching exit. I'm maintaining safe speed and distance for the inclement winter weather (snow/slush) about 55-58 mph and I get a tailgater flashing me with his brights. Once, twice, thrice... I'm looking at the lanes beside me all going about the same speed or slightly faster maybe 60-65 and I figure, "Hmm, maybe this guys trying to let me know there's something wrong with my car?". So I check my lights, no issue, few more seconds go by the guy flashes his brights 4th time. I maintain same speed with car in front of me about 5 lengths, then the **hole does it again So, I hit my emergency lights to indicate "Hey, I see you". He does it again, I hit my emergency lights again...

As we get to exit (it's one of those exits with two lanes that exit) so, I let him speed by me on the exit ramp (so he could wear out his brakes at the stop light ahead) and then kept in his blind spot on his right. I then followed for a little bit without doing anything other than noting the make model and license plate for future reference. It was an older white male, looked about 60ish. Couldn't figure out what the problem or rush was and certainly would never have tried to confront or ask. But, I do write down these knuckleheads numbers and commit to memory so if I see the car parked somewhere I can leave literature on their windshield.
So clearly the passive aggressive type but now we're supposed to believe that you're exposed to all of this craziness and hostility for no reason? I honestly think a lack of emotional intelligence might be the problem a lot of commenters in this thread are having.

No offense, but people can tell when you're full of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events