Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2022, 02:24 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,474,697 times

Advertisements

He's a wild bear, not a homeless puppy.

Relocate or kill before this beast disfigures or devours a child.

People can be so stupid at times,,,, but consider the source. It's California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2022, 04:26 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Makes sense. I'd wager that the bear would simply find its way back to the area over time or would simply continue with its antics at its new location.
That, and because bears are territorial, there's a strong risk of bigger bears at the relocation site protecting their home turf and chasing off or killing (bears are cannibalistic) the newcomers.

I live in an area with a high black bear population that also attracts Calfornia retirees. The retirees seem to think that all they have to do is call Fish & Wildlife if they see a bear, and the agency will come out and relocate the animal, and there will be a happy ending just like in a Disney movie. They can't seem to learn basic bear safety techniques, such as securing trash, and heaven forbid anyone suggests to them that their bird feeders are attracting bears. The local NextDoor app is full of them posting bear sightings to "warn" their neighbors of imminent danger.

Old 02-25-2022, 04:42 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,707,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
He's a wild bear, not a homeless puppy.

People can be so stupid at times,,,, but consider the source. It's California.
I couldn't agree more with the first part of your sentence. But not in the way you intended.

Quote:
SOUTH LAKE TAHOE, Calif. —
A 500-pound black bear has been the source of more than 150 calls between law enforcement and wildlife personnel recently and will be euthanized once he's caught, Department of Fish and Wildlife officials told KCRA 3.
https://www.kcra.com/article/500-pou...ized/39108157#

Old 02-25-2022, 05:05 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
It turns out DNA evidence shows at least 3 different bears are responsible for the damage. Everyone that sees a large bear now thinks it's Hank the Tank.

Old 02-25-2022, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post

Just so you know, children aren't typically on the menu for black bears.

Black bear attacks on humans, when they happen (they're very rare), occur because the animal is startled, not because it wants to devour the human. Could happen if the bear was literally starving, I suppose, but Hank clearly isn't missing any meals. Nonetheless, small children should not be left unsupervised in bear country.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 02-25-2022 at 05:25 PM..

Old 02-25-2022, 05:37 PM

783 posts, read 839,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
It didn't happen. That post is chock full o' disinformation.

Presumably, this is the story.
https://www.tahoedailytribune.com/ne...bear-shooting/

Last July a South lake Tahoe homeowner shot a bear in his home. No charges were filed. The 'tell' is the jail time claim. Short of a large-scale poaching endeavor, no one is incarcerated over killing even a protected game species. The poster also claims bears are 'protected' in California as opposed to Nevada - but, of course, they're a protected game species in Nevada, too. And both California and Nevada practice a combination of relocation and euthanizing, depending on the circumstances. California DF&G expressly states that bears which are a threat to public safety shall be euthanized [see the link]:
https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.a...=198982&inline
No, this is a different situation and there is no 'tell', this man was sentenced to jail time plus other community service.

https://southtahoenow.com/story/03/1...uth-lake-tahoe

Although, the story is heartbreaking for the bear...it had been breaking into his home and this man was elderly...so I find it heartbreaking for the homeowner as well.

And again, he would not have been charged or jailed in Nevada...at this time anyway...

Nevada would simply have trapped and relocated the bear most likely since it was young, not sure..but I cannot see how the homeowner would have faced any charges in Nevada.

Personally, I think Lake Tahoe should be a massive National Park, but there has been private property rights up there for so long it would be impossible to do that now. Since it has one of the highest concentration of black bear in the lower 48, these situations are bound to happen over and over. I would like to see Tahoe community governments purchase more properties and convert them to open space and gradually take out more and more human habitation. However; the property is so expensive...it would be very difficult....

It is hard to blame homeowners, bear move all over the place where you do not expect them.....although, of course, some areas such as Tahoe are bear habitat at all times. I had a neighbor who heard a commotion and ran into their backyard to find their pet goat being killed by a bear. Bear are not known to be in my neighborhood, but this one decided to hang-out for awhile. I do think that the communities in bear habitat should provide bear-proof bins, but just a little BBQ can attract a bear and another factor that makes for a difficult situation is that many homes in the Sierra and Lake Tahoe are vacation homes or rentals with folks staying who have no experience with wildlife and who might not even be aware of the bears in all the neighborhoods.

Last edited by ChrisMT; 02-25-2022 at 05:49 PM..

Old 02-25-2022, 05:54 PM

18,739 posts, read 7,606,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Locals don't want him harmed.
Good. Tahoe is hundreds of miles from here. The more "comfortable" this bear becomes around humans in that area, the less likely he is to come my way. If "the locals" want him, they can have him.

If one of their dogs, or children, turns up missing, then those "locals" can reconsider their affection for this bear. Maybe too late. Completely up to them.

Old 02-25-2022, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Good. Tahoe is hundreds of miles from here. The more "comfortable" this bear becomes around humans in that area, the less likely he is to come my way. If "the locals" want him, they can have him.

If one of their dogs, or children, turns up missing, then those "locals" can reconsider their affection for this bear. Maybe too late. Completely up to them.
Can you tell me the last time a dog or child "went missing" because of a black bear?

Old 02-25-2022, 07:08 PM

6,556 posts, read 7,136,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
That, and because bears are territorial, there's a strong risk of bigger bears at the relocation site protecting their home turf and chasing off or killing (bears are cannibalistic) the newcomers.

I live in an area with a high black bear population that also attracts Calfornia retirees. The retirees seem to think that all they have to do is call Fish & Wildlife if they see a bear, and the agency will come out and relocate the animal, and there will be a happy ending just like in a Disney movie. They can't seem to learn basic bear safety techniques, such as securing trash, and heaven forbid anyone suggests to them that their bird feeders are attracting bears. The local NextDoor app is full of them posting bear sightings to "warn" their neighbors of imminent danger.
We were dumb younger guys when we moved onto a mountain in woods of Anchorage. Our neighbor talked to us about bears attracted to sunflower seeds via bird feeders. Our dumb a***s drove to Fred Meyer right away and bought 50 lbs bags and dumped them in a pile right outside our fence. Never saw bears and pile hadn’t been touched when we moved away a year later. A brown bear did take a massive dump in our lawn though, just huge

Old 02-26-2022, 06:07 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,474,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Just so you know, children aren't typically on the menu for black bears.

Black bear attacks on humans, when they happen (they're very rare), occur because the animal is startled, not because it wants to devour the human. Could happen if the bear was literally starving, I suppose, but Hank clearly isn't missing any meals. Nonetheless, small children should not be left unsupervised in bear country.
Terrific! Build your kid a nice sandbox and let the two play together in your backyard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events