Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2022, 09:33 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,512,680 times

Advertisements

I remember going from one McDonald's to another when my kids were small and we wanted a McFlurry. Now the lawyers have got involved.

Quote:
FOR YEARS, THE tiny startup Kytch worked to invent and sell a device designed to fix McDonald's notoriously broken ice cream machines, only to watch the fast food Goliath crush their business like the hopes of so many would-be McFlurry customers. Now Kytch is instead seeking to serve out cold revenge—nearly a billion dollars worth of it.

Late Tuesday night, Kytch filed a long-expected legal complaint against McDonald's, accusing the company of false advertising and tortious interference in its contracts with customers. Kytch's cofounders, Melissa Nelson and Jeremy O'Sullivan, are asking for no less than $900 million in damages.

Ice Cream Machine Hackers Sue McDonald's for $900 Million
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2022, 10:38 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
I just noticed this last week that McDonald's has put a "back soon" sign over their ice cream selections on the drive thru menu board.

That's not particularly helpful when you've already been waiting in line for 10 minutes to get to the speaker & now your boxed in with cars in front & behind. It's not helpful when you've got an angry 6'5" autistic teenager in the backseat either, who just wanted their darn Shamrock Shake & doesn't understand what's going on. In fact, I've got holes ripped out of the interior of my car from the fallout of this last weekend. After leaving McDonald's empty handed, I had to roll the window down because he was punching it out, he ripped my safety barrier out & threw it out the window, which gave him access to attack me from behind & I wound up sideways in the road with the whole car rocking back & forth.

Then the next ad on TV for McDonald's is showing their 'delicious ice cream treats'. Just stop advertising that you have them. Take them off the menu permanently, if you can't deliver it. Wish I could sue for my car's damaged interior.

Old 03-02-2022, 10:00 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
This must be a fairly new thing, I remember years ago, (in the late 80s and into the 90s), the local McDs was the after school hangout, shakes and ice cream was always available back then if I remember correctly. I wonder who the ice cream machine manufacturer is for McDs? or if it changed at some point, and now they have poor machines?

Old 03-02-2022, 10:19 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
This must be a fairly new thing, I remember years ago, (in the late 80s and into the 90s), the local McDs was the after school hangout, shakes and ice cream was always available back then if I remember correctly. I wonder who the ice cream machine manufacturer is for McDs? or if it changed at some point, and now they have poor machines?
It must be a regional issue. I get ice cream from McDonald's a few times a month (even in winter) and have never heard of the ice cream machine being broke. Either that or it's blown way out of proportion the amount of times people couldn't get ice cream.

As for the previous poster not being able to get the shamrock shake. They just came back, a week or so ago. I could see it being a shipping issue with getting the mint syrup a few days later then expected, hence the coming soon sign, and not being told the machine was down.

Old 03-03-2022, 06:05 AM

6,539 posts, read 7,118,145 times
This guy got all the important details and there is a reason the machines are always broken. It’s all about money via contracts with McDonald’s being the source. Franchisees are the ones losing in this scam McDonald’s has been running since day one of the machines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrDEtSlqJC4

Old 03-03-2022, 08:14 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,211,328 times
Wired did a story about this a year ago. Interesting read about the $18,000 ice cream machines and their secret menus. The device the people in the lawsuit made didn't fix the machines. It simply allowed owners the ability to control and service the machines.

"Press the cone icon on the screen of the Taylor C602 digital ice cream machine, then tap the buttons that show a snowflake and a milkshake to set the digits on the screen to 5, then 2, then 3, then 1. After that precise series of no fewer than 16 button presses, a menu magically unlocks. Only with this cheat code can you access the machine’s vital signs: everything from the viscosity setting for its milk and sugar ingredients to the temperature of the glycol flowing through its heating element to the meanings of its many sphinxlike error messages."

https://www.wired.com/story/they-hac...rted-cold-war/

Old 03-03-2022, 08:24 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,466,846 times
Good grief! If I were even the slightest bit concerned about not getting ice cream at McDonald's, I'd shoot myself in the head and end my miserable life.

Old 03-03-2022, 08:40 AM

26 posts, read 14,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Good grief! If I were even the slightest bit concerned about not getting ice cream at McDonald's, I'd shoot myself in the head and end my miserable life.
It's always interesting to see those who only care about themselves comment on stories about others trying to make a living. Whether you're selling hammers, cars, or ice cream, it's all an honest living.

Old 03-03-2022, 10:00 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Wired did a story about this a year ago. Interesting read about the $18,000 ice cream machines and their secret menus. The device the people in the lawsuit made didn't fix the machines. It simply allowed owners the ability to control and service the machines.

"Press the cone icon on the screen of the Taylor C602 digital ice cream machine, then tap the buttons that show a snowflake and a milkshake to set the digits on the screen to 5, then 2, then 3, then 1. After that precise series of no fewer than 16 button presses, a menu magically unlocks. Only with this cheat code can you access the machine’s vital signs: everything from the viscosity setting for its milk and sugar ingredients to the temperature of the glycol flowing through its heating element to the meanings of its many sphinxlike error messages."

https://www.wired.com/story/they-hac...rted-cold-war/

Wow. I didn't know. I've never gotten ice cream or a shake from McD's. I hope they win their lawsuit, especially after reading that 2nd article. For anyone wanting to read the 2nd link, see this link, I have it open on a web cache page

They Hacked McDonald’s Ice Cream Machines—and Started a Cold War
Secret codes. Legal threats. Betrayal. How one couple built a device to fix McDonald’s notoriously broken soft-serve machines—and how the fast-food giant froze them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I just noticed this last week that McDonald's has put a "back soon" sign over their ice cream selections on the drive thru menu board.

That's not particularly helpful when you've already been waiting in line for 10 minutes to get to the speaker & now your boxed in with cars in front & behind. It's not helpful when you've got an angry 6'5" autistic teenager in the backseat either, who just wanted their darn Shamrock Shake & doesn't understand what's going on. In fact, I've got holes ripped out of the interior of my car from the fallout of this last weekend. After leaving McDonald's empty handed, I had to roll the window down because he was punching it out, he ripped my safety barrier out & threw it out the window, which gave him access to attack me from behind & I wound up sideways in the road with the whole car rocking back & forth.

Then the next ad on TV for McDonald's is showing their 'delicious ice cream treats'. Just stop advertising that you have them. Take them off the menu permanently, if you can't deliver it. Wish I could sue for my car's damaged interior.

Look into what attorney is handling the case then contact them to tell them your story. They need all the help they can get. Maybe you will get your car fixed.

Last edited by Roselvr; 03-03-2022 at 10:18 AM..

Old 03-03-2022, 12:12 PM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times
Yeah, when I saw the title of this thread, I instantly thought of the Wired article. I am a subscriber and I read it in an issue a while back. Whole damn conspiracy to screw over the franchisees over something as trivial as soft serve ice cream, it's wild.

And the thing was, AT FIRST, the company that manufactures the ice cream machines was totally cooperative with the couple that invented the doohicky that allows them to be serviceable by regular people. Because if I recall, the couple was originally trying to use those machines for their own (non-McD's) business as self-serve automated dispensers at sports stadiums or something like that. And they kept breaking, and there were no personnel around to fix them, so they invented (with the manufacturer's total cooperation and encouragement) this little box that would notify them when a machine had a problem and what the problem was. Neat! It was only when they started selling their invention to McDonald's franchisees, which cut McD's service techs out of the picture (I guess McDs was charging franchisees for the constant service and maintenance) that the red and yellow Goliath got mad about it. At first they started a propaganda campaign, with threatening letters to the couple, and letters to the stores saying, "Don't talk to these people! Don't buy their device!"....and it's escalated from there.

Whole arse drama over some flippin' ice cream machines. Well. Really more like how super-giant corporations can and 100% will screw over anybody just to make a buck.

It'll be interesting to see how it all pans out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events