Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2022, 10:57 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
It’s not the FD departments job to rescue cats from trees these days, maybe it used to be. Anyway, kudos to the teen who tried to rescue him, and yes, the FD missed a great PR opportunity to rescue the cat.

If your cat gets stuck in a tree, either a ladder and DIY, or calling some guy who traps and removes raccoons and would probably be fine with climbing a ladder for a fee. Don’t think this is a taxpayer funded service.
No one is arguing they should have come out to rescue the cat. But they were already there, already up i the tree, so why not just get them both?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2022, 11:18 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,466,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
Ok for the cat, but what the boy's excuse? lol
LOL. Good question!

Old 03-09-2022, 11:29 AM

2,161 posts, read 1,150,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
Red tail hawks and buzzards can also take care of cats
I took one in that was dropped and survived, minus it's tail.

I have also witnessed a cat fall to it's death. It was horrid, something I will never forget.
I doubt too many cats survive being stuck in a tree.

Old 03-09-2022, 11:34 AM

2,565 posts, read 1,640,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
A teenage boy named Owen saw a cat way up in a tree and tried to climb up to get him. Unfortunately, he got himself stuck up there, so the fire department came and got him down. If you scroll through the comments, you'll find some from the cat's owner, berating the fire fighters for not rescuing her cat while they were there. Apparently, she had to hire an arborist to come and get him down.

Kudos to Owen for having the heart and the courage to try to get up to the cat to bring him down. Thumbs down to the cat's owner, who had nothing to say (at least not on Facebook) about the young man who selflessly put himself at risk. And thumbs down to the people who criticized Owen for "wasting the city's resources." This world needs more people like Owen, and fewer people like those who would complain about him.

https://www.facebook.com/indianapoli...24839723007430
So nice to read a news story about a kind teenager. Thumbs up to him, and thumbs down to the ungrateful cat owner, and the uncaring fire department. As for kitties, they can - and do - get stuck in trees. They will climb until they realize they are stuck and can only get back down by climbing backwards. Sometimes they are afraid to do that, or can't figure out that's what they need to do.

Old 03-09-2022, 11:35 AM

2,161 posts, read 1,150,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I'm not sure if that cat was stupid or smart.
I have heard of cats having kittens in odd places but never a tree.
I have never heard of a cat having kittens in a tree either. No way they would survive and pregnant cats are pretty smart. Maybe that poster meant bushes or similar.

Old 03-09-2022, 11:59 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,466,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC View Post
I have never heard of a cat having kittens in a tree either. No way they would survive and pregnant cats are pretty smart. Maybe that poster meant bushes or similar.
Hmmmm. My thought was a very wide tree with a massive, flat crotch several feet up,,, high enough so non-climbing animals couldn't get to the litter.
But then there's the worry of the kittens moving around. They start crawling very soon after birth. Maybe the mama cat wasn't so smart?

Old 03-09-2022, 12:40 PM

32,922 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Since they were already there in the tree getting the kid down it seems like they could have just grabbed it at the same time.
It's often not that easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmDdngTckPE

...and, on some of the shows the cats are hissing and trying hard to scratch or bite.

Old 03-09-2022, 01:18 PM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
It's often not that easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmDdngTckPE

...and, on some of the shows the cats are hissing and trying hard to scratch or bite.
Well, the arborist was able to do it. The cat wasn't hissing at the kid who was up there with him I don't think.

Old 03-09-2022, 01:29 PM

609 posts, read 349,214 times
sounds like another Darwin award winner

Old 03-09-2022, 01:40 PM

408 posts, read 259,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
No one is arguing they should have come out to rescue the cat. But they were already there, already up i the tree, so why not just get them both?
Maybe the fire department should have trimmed the tree since they were already out there? After all, it would have been good PR. As a Captain (retired) of a volunteer fire department with six stations and 15 fire trucks there is no way that I would put my people in danger by rescuing a cat. As we used to say in the fire department, "Never seen a cat skeleton in a tree."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events