Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2022, 08:53 AM

16,602 posts, read 10,767,134 times

Advertisements

A teenage boy named Owen saw a cat way up in a tree and tried to climb up to get him. Unfortunately, he got himself stuck up there, so the fire department came and got him down. If you scroll through the comments, you'll find some from the cat's owner, berating the fire fighters for not rescuing her cat while they were there. Apparently, she had to hire an arborist to come and get him down.

Kudos to Owen for having the heart and the courage to try to get up to the cat to bring him down. Thumbs down to the cat's owner, who had nothing to say (at least not on Facebook) about the young man who selflessly put himself at risk. And thumbs down to the people who criticized Owen for "wasting the city's resources." This world needs more people like Owen, and fewer people like those who would complain about him.

https://www.facebook.com/indianapoli...24839723007430
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2022, 09:02 AM

6,804 posts, read 4,512,172 times
Three cheers for all the rescuers. We need more kids like Owen.

Contrary to popular belief, cats cannot climb down a tree because of the way their claws are shaped.

Old 03-08-2022, 10:29 AM

2,121 posts, read 3,036,888 times
Some cats, granted, not all of them, can climb down.
Backwards, lowering themselves. I have had cats that could
climb down just enough so they didn't have to jump so far to the ground.

Years ago I had had one get stuck about 30ft up a neighbors tree. We moved to the neighborhood a month earlier.
I climbed my happy behind up and got him. Bless my neighbor, she brought a ladder out so we could both get down.

Old 03-08-2022, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdurncat13 View Post

Years ago I had had one get stuck about 30ft up a neighbors tree. We moved to the neighborhood a month earlier.
I climbed my happy behind up and got him. Bless my neighbor, she brought a ladder out so we could both get down.
True. Some cats can maneuver a backwards climb if they're not too high up. We have a short tree in the yard. I've seen cats do that. But height is the issue. Think how terrifying a backwards climb would be to a cat that's already terrified.

Old 03-08-2022, 11:46 AM

32,764 posts, read 48,473,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
......Contrary to popular belief, cats cannot climb down a tree because of the way their claws are shaped.

And yet in my entire life I have never seen the skeleton of a cat up in a tree where the cat climbed up and couldn't climb down and sat up there and starved to death.

Leave the cat alone long enough and he will figure out how to get down by himself when he gets hungry enough.

I'm OK with the fire department getting stuck boys out of trees, but it is a waste of tax dollars for them to go out and take cats out of trees.

Maybe the cat owner who was so upset that the fire department didn't rescue her cat should consider making the cat an indoor only cat so the stupid thing doesn't go out and get itself into difficult situations.

Old 03-08-2022, 11:56 AM

51,323 posts, read 36,992,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
And yet in my entire life I have never seen the skeleton of a cat up in a tree where the cat climbed up and couldn't climb down and sat up there and starved to death.

Leave the cat alone long enough and he will figure out how to get down by himself when he gets hungry enough.

I'm OK with the fire department getting stuck boys out of trees, but it is a waste of tax dollars for them to go out and take cats out of trees.

Maybe the cat owner who was so upset that the fire department didn't rescue her cat should consider making the cat an indoor only cat so the stupid thing doesn't go out and get itself into difficult situations.
Since they were already there in the tree getting the kid down it seems like they could have just grabbed it at the same time.

Old 03-08-2022, 12:04 PM

16,602 posts, read 10,767,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Since they were already there in the tree getting the kid down it seems like they could have just grabbed it at the same time.
That's what I was thinking too. I don't know what kind of training or procedures the Indianapolis FD has, but looking at it from the standpoint of an uninformed civilian, it does seem a bit cold to be so close to the cat and yet not even try to get him down. Naturally, the teenager was their first priority. But once they got him down, why not try for the cat?

Someone on Facebook commented that they had a golden opportunity to earn some amazing PR, yet they kind of blew it. And I think so too. Between having a bunch of them appearing to just stand around doing nothing, and not trying for the cat, and (allegedly) being rude to the cat's owner, I think the IFD flubbed a chance to make themselves look really good in the public's eye.

Old 03-08-2022, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

Oh, shame on you! Obviously you've never listened to a loved one crying for days and nights 'cause she's stuck up in a tree. Brute!
Besides, what does it cost the taxpayer, a few galloons of gas? The firefighters are already being paid to sit around the firehouse. Let them come and rescue little Princess.

Old 03-08-2022, 02:23 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,156,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Oh, shame on you! Obviously you've never listened to a loved one crying for days and nights 'cause she's stuck up in a tree. Brute!
Besides, what does it cost the taxpayer, a few galloons of gas? The firefighters are already being paid to sit around the firehouse. Let them come and rescue little Princess.
It’s not the FD departments job to rescue cats from trees these days, maybe it used to be. Anyway, kudos to the teen who tried to rescue him, and yes, the FD missed a great PR opportunity to rescue the cat.

If your cat gets stuck in a tree, either a ladder and DIY, or calling some guy who traps and removes raccoons and would probably be fine with climbing a ladder for a fee. Don’t think this is a taxpayer funded service.

Old 03-08-2022, 03:15 PM

12,066 posts, read 10,342,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdurncat13 View Post

yes - I had a feral mom cat have her kittens in one of our big trees. She would climb up and down several times a day to feed them. Eventually she brought them all down. She would go backwards until she could jump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events