Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2022, 08:28 PM

29,506 posts, read 22,620,513 times

Advertisements

They sure are late to the party, these 24 hour overnight challenges have been going on for years.

What truly ticks me off about these two idiots is that they lied to their subscribers. They didn't even stay the entire time, leaving the store early.

https://www.fox29.com/news/youtube-c...ylvania-target

Quote:
A bizarre social media challenge led to the arrest of a man and woman after police say they hid inside a Chester County Target overnight and filmed for their YouTube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiFnlJdb4YU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2022, 08:34 PM

9,398 posts, read 11,147,212 times
A generation of narcissists.

Old 03-13-2022, 01:48 AM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
They sure are late to the party, these 24 hour overnight challenges have been going on for years.

What truly ticks me off about these two idiots is that they lied to their subscribers. They didn't even stay the entire time, leaving the store early.

https://www.fox29.com/news/youtube-c...ylvania-target

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiFnlJdb4YU
I have come to the conclusion that people love to watch fake videos, more than real videos. I watch mostly hiking videos. There are hiking channels with almost 400,000 subscribers, and almost no actual hiking on the channel. They just re-edit old videos over and over again. They claim to be thru hiking, but they always have their cars nearby.

Then there are legitimate thru hikers who are actually filming their hikes everyday, editing them on the trail, and uploading the videos daily. Some of them even have trackers on so anyone can see their location and progress on the trail. Those channels have like 4,000 subscribers. So they are making like 1% as much money as the fake channels do.

But I can kind of understand why these two left the store at 3AM. Spending 9 hours in an empty store would not be the most exciting thing in the world, and it's not like there are any good places to sleep in a Target store. After 4 hours they were probably bored out of their minds.

Anyway Target should thank them for showing them a major flaw in their security protocol. They could have just as easily walked out of the store with thousands of dollars of merchandise, and probably never been caught.

Old 03-14-2022, 07:11 AM

5,166 posts, read 4,938,673 times
"Stupid is as stupid does". Forest Gump.

Old 03-14-2022, 07:35 AM

33,313 posts, read 12,491,270 times
They watched the movie 'Career Opportunities' too many times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcMh6GZoFC8

(As noted on the YouTube title, the song is from 1982, but the movie is from 1991)

Old 03-14-2022, 08:20 AM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
They watched the movie 'Career Opportunities' too many times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcMh6GZoFC8

(As noted on the YouTube title, the song is from 1982, but the movie is from 1991)
Career Opportunities (which I never saw, but I saw the ads for it) was the first time I had ever heard of Target. I just assumed that they had made up the store brand for the purposes of the movie; I had no idea that it was a real store.

Old 03-14-2022, 09:52 AM

33,313 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Career Opportunities (which I never saw, but I saw the ads for it) was the first time I had ever heard of Target. I just assumed that they had made up the store brand for the purposes of the movie; I had no idea that it was a real store.
Target didn't come to my native California until a year after the 1982 song, but was pretty well known by the time the movie came out.

I'm from the SF Bay Area, and there is a definite bias against Walmart there, but not Target...at least not that I ever noticed.

The only reason I knew about Target before they came to California was because the oldest daughter of one of my neighbors (she was a lighting designer, having designed many of the lights in the Transamerica building ('the pyramid') in San Francisco) was married, and her doctor husband was hired to practice at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN, and Target came up in chats with the neighbors.

Old 03-14-2022, 11:54 AM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Target didn't come to my native California until a year after the 1982 song, but was pretty well known by the time the movie came out.

I'm from the SF Bay Area, and there is a definite bias against Walmart there, but not Target...at least not that I ever noticed.

The only reason I knew about Target before they came to California was because the oldest daughter of one of my neighbors (she was a lighting designer, having designed many of the lights in the Transamerica building ('the pyramid') in San Francisco) was married, and her doctor husband was hired to practice at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN, and Target came up in chats with the neighbors.
Yeah, Target entered California when they bought out the FedMart chain in 1982. But Target was already 20 years old at that point. They were already very well established in the Midwest and Rocky Mountain states. By the mid-1980s they were nationwide and well known. By the time that movie came out most people knew what Target was. If they didn't shop there, at least they had seen ads for Target.

Old 03-14-2022, 01:05 PM

9,398 posts, read 11,147,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
It's not really much of a store. So you're largely correct.

Old 03-14-2022, 01:33 PM

8,050 posts, read 7,419,522 times
I read somewhere that the pair face a max of up to 7 years in prison. Yet if they'd ransacked the place and burned it down they'd be out on zero bail. Interesting times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events