Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2022, 06:13 PM

1,877 posts, read 2,239,664 times

Advertisements

There's an interesting study about this using guillotine victims as test subjects. Essentially the brain is severed but still active with the existing oxygenated cells; it's terribly different from the events of a stroke. You can google it and I was surprised there were folks studying this back in the 18th century.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2022, 06:55 PM

2,161 posts, read 1,155,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
It's very possible we don't know one danged thing about death. We only think we do because we're an arrogant species.

The earthy vessel (body) dies off and rots.

The soul within goes back to its Creator.

I couldn't care less whether my life flashes before my eyes. I hope it doesn't. It's bad enough I had to live that @#$% once.
Maybe, if one believes there is a creator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope of Greenwich Village View Post
I have actually had my "life flash before my eyes." It happened when I had a gun pointed in my face and was absolutely certain the trigger was just going to be pulled. Long story short, it happened to me, it happened very rapidly like a tape in fast forward unspooling at 100x usual speed. It was dramatic and unforgettable. It's the only thing I really recall about that day that stays with me.
That is a lot different than actually dying or even being resuscitated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwong7 View Post
There's an interesting study about this using guillotine victims as test subjects. Essentially the brain is severed but still active with the existing oxygenated cells; it's terribly different from the events of a stroke. You can google it and I was surprised there were folks studying this back in the 18th century.
Active nerves maybe? Twitching until the blood drains? I don't think that can compare to a natural death.

Old 03-17-2022, 12:42 PM

5,464 posts, read 5,716,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC View Post
I wonder if there is a difference in dying for good or dying long enough for your heart to stop, being resuscitated and recovering? Does your brain show you the same things? We don't know. We only know things from the people who have been resuscitated. And then we only know what they choose to tell us, being the truth or a made up story.
An acquaintance of mine fell into a coma briefly. He said nothing happens. It is a lot more similar to the feeling of deep sleep or perhaps anesthesia. Its basically nothingness, you don't know what is happening. No memories, no dreams, no blackness, just simply lack of awareness. You wouldn't even know yourself if you are dying or died or in a coma, unless you wake up and a doctor tells you in retrospect.

Old 03-17-2022, 12:54 PM

7,242 posts, read 4,558,383 times
Not sure if anyone saw "surviving death" on Netflix -- in the first episode there is someone who survived drowning and being dead for a very long time.. I think like 20 minutes or more.

She goes into detail about her experiences but, she somehow got the information that her son would die young while in that state... and he did. Her son was like 7 at the time of her supposed death and he died at 20. She was so confident it happened she told him when he was 18. Didn't stop it.

Makes you wonder if her life flashing before her eye made it so she could see it.

Old 03-17-2022, 07:06 PM

2,682 posts, read 1,194,460 times
I didn't read the article but I think this would be perfect to try out in nursing homes and hospice. I would have them wear an EEG headset while sleeping.

Old 03-20-2022, 07:57 PM

134 posts, read 193,212 times
EEG recordings during death aren't uncommon. I've done the test. And I've hated the ECI/ECS protocol every single time I've had to run one. I've been a neurodiagnostic tech for over 20 years. I've watched people's brains die on long-term recordings. Anoxic injuries often result in a "burst-suppression" pattern, sometimes after what's called an "alpha coma." The frequency of the bursts decreases over time until the EEG is flat. Most of the cases I saw like that were from people found down and resuscitated.

Old 03-21-2022, 01:24 PM

9,327 posts, read 16,674,611 times
For what it's worth, I was given anesthesia a long time ago by a dentist. I had the light at the end of the tunnel experience. I felt an urgent need to get to the light. I was almost there, when I heard a voice telling me I had to go back, for Lily, who was my infant daughter. I woke up and the dentist said, we're not giving you that anesthesia again.

Old 03-22-2022, 08:51 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,393,839 times
The phenomena is a spiritual matter, not a physical one. Science doesn't like spiritual things because they can't measure it.

Old 03-23-2022, 01:03 AM

19,827 posts, read 9,387,493 times
I have always been fascinated by people who "died" while on a surgical table, were revived, and then were able to describe in great detail and with complete accuracy what the doctors did to them and what they said while they were apparently dead or at least completely unconscious.

Old 03-23-2022, 11:07 AM

7,931 posts, read 3,481,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Hopefully to pet dogs too. You know what they say, all dogs go to heaven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events