Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2022, 09:44 PM

23,862 posts, read 33,533,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
There are only a small handful of states that require nursing homes to allow camera if they want one. The vast majority require you to get permission from the home and they can say no. All states require that the resident consent and any roommate. The privacy issue is important to some residents who will be recorded having diapers changed etc.

Most homes use electronic records, she should have been able to see that right away.

I was thinking that when I replied before but forgot to say it.

I guess back then, it was one computer at the nurses station verses them having a tablet now. Still, a quick walk to the nurses station to bring his records up. There really is no excuse for why it took so long.

These women are uncaring, vile, scum. I hope he haunts every one of them in their nightmares while they're in prison.

I hope some karma gets a hold of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2022, 04:20 AM

19,835 posts, read 12,092,300 times
Quote:
I don’t think so. Just speaking from my own experiences in nursing homes. I never saw race be an issue with care.
Atlanta has a lot of racial tension. That’s not necessarily what was at play here which appears to be apathy.

Old 03-22-2022, 05:08 AM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
What caused the cardiac arrest or breathing problems, if he went in healthy, only for post-op rehab?

Old 03-22-2022, 10:12 AM

50,727 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Atlanta has a lot of racial tension. That’s not necessarily what was at play here which appears to be apathy.
That's a point I hadn't thought of. When I worked in Houston for 6 months years ago (15 or so) that was the case there too. I was one of only 2 caucasian workers in the entire building and I really had to win people over. But the tension I saw among patients and staff was between the very light-colored residents who were Katrina evacuees from Louisiana and the very dark skinned workers from Houston. I heard Katrina evacuees call nurses the "N" word many times. The nurses would answer "I'm the same color as you, black" lol.

But I still never saw anyone actually get poorer care due to that. You get used to being cursed at, yelled at, etc by patients in nursing homes. Lots of mentally ill end up there when older.

Old 03-22-2022, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What caused the cardiac arrest or breathing problems, if he went in healthy, only for post-op rehab?
We don't know what underlying issues he had. He was 88, it could have been any number of issues. It happens sometimes. The guy I talked about who went into cardiac arrest and died in the ambulance was only in his late 50's and was here for non-cardiac related reasons. But generally unhealthy lifestyle, not active and poor diet.

Old 03-22-2022, 02:25 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,014,984 times
Quote:
He wasn’t dying before that night though he was there for rehab after hip surgery. I can tell you this doesn’t happen in the home I work in. I’ve only seen one person in one home who died from what could be considered neglect. A long term non-verbal patient whose dialysis port was knocked out when he was moving in bed and bled to death overnight.

This is not a common thing in homes though.

This home can’t even use Covid staffing shortages as this happened in 2014.

People who work in these settings just like hospitals are used to death yes. But that doesn’t translate into not caring if a simple hip surgery patient otherwise healthy goes into cardiac arrest. It doesn’t translate into letting people die who can be saved.

People don’t die “nonstop” though. We’ve had less than half dozen this year most long term residents ,very old/sick. Only one subacute rehab patient (like this man). He complained to nurse about chest pain, they called 911 but he died in the ambulance.
Just a quick note: Blood clots to the lung following hip surgery are a known risk of death. I didn't follow this case. What was his cause of death?

Old 03-22-2022, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Just a quick note: Blood clots to the lung following hip surgery are a known risk of death. I didn't follow this case. What was his cause of death?
They didn’t go into detail, probably HIPAA protected information. I thought it was cardiac arrest.

Old 03-25-2022, 12:23 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,446,284 times
Quote:
They didn’t go into detail, probably HIPAA protected information. I thought it was cardiac arrest.
Weird that you keep signaling HIPAA.

The death of a person is not protected under HIPAA. Any medical records can be opened- on a deceased.
At 22 I had a dose of reality when I worked night shift at an elder care home.
I begged our staff nurse to come aide a patient who was clearly in distress. Bleeding from the rectal area and conscious enough to yell for help. She had utter fear in her eyes. Twenty minutes of my trying to pack the abdomen with ice . Still no nurse.
The lady died in my arms ...
The response from the nurse was : well I didn't bother since she had cancer and was terminal to die in six months.
At 22, I learned ( yet again) how heartless a human can be .
My mom was a nurse , worked in the same facility. She never once disregarded a resident. When I shared with her the.experience of that night. She neither defended her co worker nurse, nor did she escalate the matter to the director of nurses for further discovery. She said: I wasn't there daughter, so I cannot report her. I asked if I could. She said no. Because you have no medical degree. They'd say you were just upset and didn't handle the patient correctly.

So yes I've met staff just like the ones charged and serving time. And people wonder why I don't advocate for putting grandpa in a ' licensed and state approved' center.

Old 03-25-2022, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Weird that you keep signaling HIPAA.

The death of a person is not protected under HIPAA. Any medical records can be opened- on a deceased.
At 22 I had a dose of reality when I worked night shift at an elder care home.
I begged our staff nurse to come aide a patient who was clearly in distress. Bleeding from the rectal area and conscious enough to yell for help. She had utter fear in her eyes. Twenty minutes of my trying to pack the abdomen with ice . Still no nurse.
The lady died in my arms ...
The response from the nurse was : well I didn't bother since she had cancer and was terminal to die in six months.
At 22, I learned ( yet again) how heartless a human can be .
My mom was a nurse , worked in the same facility. She never once disregarded a resident. When I shared with her the.experience of that night. She neither defended her co worker nurse, nor did she escalate the matter to the director of nurses for further discovery. She said: I wasn't there daughter, so I cannot report her. I asked if I could. She said no. Because you have no medical degree. They'd say you were just upset and didn't handle the patient correctly.

So yes I've met staff just like the ones charged and serving time. And people wonder why I don't advocate for putting grandpa in a ' licensed and state approved' center.
Again though this was not a long-term resident, he was there for rehab after a hip surgery. If I break my hip or need rehab after a stroke today, after the hospital my insurance is going to pay for rehab in a skilled nursing facility, that's just the way it is way it is in our health care system.

The Death C is only going to say cardiac arrest or whatever killed him. The poster I responded to wanted details, she wanted to know WHY he went into cardiac arrest if he was there for rehab from orthopedic surgery. That kind of detailed health information is not going to be available except in the nursing home or hospital chart.

Old 03-26-2022, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepitclean View Post
We'll never know, but I'm guessing his being white wasn't a help to him in this situation.
I’ve worked in many nursing homes over 25 years, I really don’t think that had anything to do with it.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 03-26-2022 at 04:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events