Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2022, 07:04 AM

2,161 posts, read 1,166,834 times

Advertisements

Finally, justice served, though it took 8 years. The mans smart family caught this on a hidden camera. Georgia changed hidden camera laws because of this case. The video was heartbreaking to watch.

Quote:
Two metro Atlanta nurses are headed to prison and another is on probation for failing to save a dying man seen begging for help on a hidden camera video nearly eight years ago.
https://youtu.be/jT8vhrImliI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2022, 01:03 AM

23,913 posts, read 33,731,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC View Post
Finally, justice served, though it took 8 years. The mans smart family caught this on a hidden camera. Georgia changed hidden camera laws because of this case. The video was heartbreaking to watch.

https://youtu.be/jT8vhrImliI

It's disgusting, they deserve all of the prison time they got.

I guess he didn't have a cell phone to try to call 911.

I searched google, my headset broke, can't watch video.

Nurses sentenced after hidden camera showed veteran gasping for breath, crying for help

Quote:

The sentence comes nearly five years after an 11Alive Reveal investigation uncovered hidden camera video that compelled law enforcement to arrest Agyeman and two of her former nursing homes colleagues for failing to save 89-year-old James Dempsey.

In 2014, Dempsey admitted himself to Northeast Atlanta Health and Rehabilitation following hip surgery. He did not have dementia and was expected to return home after he recovered.

On Feb. 27, 2014, Dempsey complained to nursing staff about his heart and difficulty breathing. Instead of checking his vitals, a hidden camera installed by Dempsey’s family captured Agyeman telling him to stop pressing his call button for help and then leaving the room.

Nurse Agyeman returned to the room at the time, but instead of starting CPR, she left for an hour to check if Dempsey requested a DNR, a ‘Do Not Resuscitate.’ When she finally confirms he did want his life saved in the event of an emergency, Agyeman still doesn’t try to save his life.

Timeline of Dempsey's Case

2014: Dempsey died. Hidden camera video showed all three women failing to respond to Dempsey slowly dying, complaining he could not breathe.

2017: 11Alive investigation exposed what happened and compelled Brookhaven Police to launch an investigation.

2018: The DeKalb County DA indicted all three women.

2019: Attorneys representing the nursing staff filed an appeal trying to keep the hidden camera video secret, citing privacy laws.

2020: Georgia Supreme Court ruled the video can be used in the case. The court’s decision also created case law, making it now legal for families to place hidden cameras inside of their loved ones’ nursing home rooms.

Old 03-19-2022, 08:41 AM

51,175 posts, read 36,860,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
It's disgusting, they deserve all of the prison time they got.

I guess he didn't have a cell phone to try to call 911.

I searched google, my headset broke, can't watch video.

Nurses sentenced after hidden camera showed veteran gasping for breath, crying for help
Terrible shame. He was only there for a short term rehab after a hip surgery.

Old 03-19-2022, 10:33 AM

6,611 posts, read 7,223,972 times
I’m guessing the nursing staff deals with patients dying nonstop there, and so accustomed to it that they don’t care. I’m betting this happens all the time everywhere within these places and cameras need to be more present. Gotta be an unbelievably hard job to maintain working around people dying all the time, but so glad they got caught and tried.

Old 03-19-2022, 12:09 PM

6,807 posts, read 4,504,702 times
These nursing home horrors continue to shock the nation, yet the public still haven't insisted on a camera in every room. Until we pay better wages, and insist on better healthcare aids, we'll continue to hear about this stuff.
Inmates in prison are better protected than our loved ones in nursing homes.

Those nurses only got eight years in prison. Did I hear that right? Disgusting.

Old 03-20-2022, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
I’m guessing the nursing staff deals with patients dying nonstop there, and so accustomed to it that they don’t care. I’m betting this happens all the time everywhere within these places and cameras need to be more present. Gotta be an unbelievably hard job to maintain working around people dying all the time, but so glad they got caught and tried.
He wasn’t dying before that night though he was there for rehab after hip surgery. I can tell you this doesn’t happen in the home I work in. I’ve only seen one person in one home who died from what could be considered neglect. A long term non-verbal patient whose dialysis port was knocked out when he was moving in bed and bled to death overnight.

This is not a common thing in homes though.

This home can’t even use Covid staffing shortages as this happened in 2014.

People who work in these settings just like hospitals are used to death yes. But that doesn’t translate into not caring if a simple hip surgery patient otherwise healthy goes into cardiac arrest. It doesn’t translate into letting people die who can be saved.

People don’t die “nonstop” though. We’ve had less than half dozen this year most long term residents ,very old/sick. Only one subacute rehab patient (like this man). He complained to nurse about chest pain, they called 911 but he died in the ambulance.

Old 03-20-2022, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
These nursing home horrors continue to shock the nation, yet the public still haven't insisted on a camera in every room. Until we pay better wages, and insist on better healthcare aids, we'll continue to hear about this stuff.
Inmates in prison are better protected than our loved ones in nursing homes.

Those nurses only got eight years in prison. Did I hear that right? Disgusting.
Many states have requirements for cameras and many states don’t require allowing them. They use HIPPAA as excuse. I would want one. You have to make sure it doesn’t record either voice or image of the roommate, or they or their family could sue you.

Old 03-20-2022, 08:26 AM

16,746 posts, read 8,731,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
While not excusing the "nurses" involved, many who work in nursing homes and rehabs where the patients are elderly and will return to a nursing home, they become jaded, ambivalent, and frankly callous.
Many are not RN's, rather LPN's and/or nursing assistants.
They do not have the education nor frankly the proper knowledge to treat/recognize someone is real distress, vs. someone who complains about things on a regular basis.

That man served his country, and deserved better than the way he passed away at the hands of a couple of lazy cows, who would rather look for a DNR, than actually treat the patient.
That alone shows an indifference to life, and a total lack of empathy toward a fellow human being.

Old 03-20-2022, 08:33 AM

6,807 posts, read 4,504,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Many states have requirements for cameras and many states don’t require allowing them. They use HIPPAA as excuse. I would want one. You have to make sure it doesn’t record either voice or image of the roommate, or they or their family could sue you.
I didn't know that, ocnjgirl. Wow! Thanks. That actually makes sense when ya think about it.... I guess. As for me, I'd rather receive a lethal injection than waste away in a nursing home. I realize that's not the case here, but... still. Who can stand the thought of being helpless and at the mercy of someone else?

Old 03-20-2022, 10:24 AM

10,006 posts, read 4,747,054 times
Had too many senior relatives spend too much time in hospitals to see there are too many employees including nurses that are clock punchers that work harder on making it an easy shift than they do caring for the patients. I was visiting near a shift change and the first thing the incoming nurse did was comment about the patients being scattered all over the wing including the end room at the end of a hall complaining she didn't want to deal with all that walking. Didn't ask about the patients or look at charts etc, first thing complain all the walking she would have to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events