Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2022, 04:45 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,634,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
There is a reason many states have age out requirements for school bus drivers. CA requires 65+ annual physicals, NJ is 70. Anecdotally, FAA times out commercial pilots at 65 (can't fly commercial flights at all). Yes - there are a lot of people who are in great shape at 65+, but there there are also a lot of health wild cards that increase dramatically past that age.
Yep. That needs to be the limitation for all critical life-saving jobs. If only it applied to politicians! We're not as sharp as we once were....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2022, 08:54 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,818,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Yep. That needs to be the limitation for all critical life-saving jobs. If only it applied to politicians! We're not as sharp as we once were....
Actually, the term is "safety-sensitive jobs" but you're right, it IS an issue that needs addressing.

Old 03-21-2022, 09:44 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
Probably true that 77 is a bit too old to be driving a bus, but there's such a shortage of school bus drivers in most of the country that I'm not sure what the answer is.

Old 03-22-2022, 11:44 AM

19,717 posts, read 10,112,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Probably true that 77 is a bit too old to be driving a bus, but there's such a shortage of school bus drivers in most of the country that I'm not sure what the answer is.
A shortage of bus drivers and teachers. When I was growing up in the 50s, many of the teachers drove buses. Now they have to be to school early and stay late, so they can't.

Old 03-25-2022, 04:49 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,575,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
It's great that the students were able to stop the bus!

Just a question, and I don't want to start an argument here since I'm only about 10 years away from his age, but isn't 77 too old to be driving a bus full of children?
No one in my mind has ever really explained why there should be a minimum age for driving and not a maximum. Though we can debate whether 77 is too old. I am inclined to think the maximum should be 90-95 for ordinary personal vehicles and 75-80 for anything that requires a CDL, but others may disagree.

Old 03-25-2022, 10:37 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,140,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
A shortage of bus drivers and teachers. When I was growing up in the 50s, many of the teachers drove buses. Now they have to be to school early and stay late, so they can't.
I grew up is suburban St. Louis. Teachers did not have to drive buses, and they did have to stay for a bit after classes let out. My mother taught school. She never, ever had to drive a bus!

Old 03-26-2022, 06:44 AM

15,413 posts, read 9,055,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
No one in my mind has ever really explained why there should be a minimum age for driving and not a maximum. Though we can debate whether 77 is too old. I am inclined to think the maximum should be 90-95 for ordinary personal vehicles and 75-80 for anything that requires a CDL, but others may disagree.
There used to be mandatory retirement ages for most all bus drivers. When I was in high school I rode a school bus to school in the morning and then after my last class I would take a city transit bus to a shopping center everyday to eat lunch. The transit bus never had more than three passengers on it including me, so I got to know the bus driver pretty well. He was a 67 year old man who had been driving streetcars and buses all his life. He had already been forced to retire from his part time school bus driving job when he turned 65 and knew that he would be forced to retire from his union job when he turned 70.

But now days they need bus drivers so they throw those requirements out the window, and give the jobs to anybody who will take them.

Old 03-26-2022, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I grew up is suburban St. Louis. Teachers did not have to drive buses, and they did have to stay for a bit after classes let out. My mother taught school. She never, ever had to drive a bus!
Yeah, I don't see how that would work either. When I went to school teachers where already in their classrooms when the buses arrived, and were still there after school, along with any students who had to stay after school for whatever reason.

It would cause a lot of other problems too. What would happen if a school bus broke down on the way to school or was running late. The result could be a classroom full of students and no teacher there to supervise them. That would have to be a very disorganized school to even allow teachers to drive the buses.

Old 03-26-2022, 09:55 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,140,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
There used to be mandatory retirement ages for most all bus drivers. When I was in high school I rode a school bus to school in the morning and then after my last class I would take a city transit bus to a shopping center everyday to eat lunch. The transit bus never had more than three passengers on it including me, so I got to know the bus driver pretty well. He was a 67 year old man who had been driving streetcars and buses all his life. He had already been forced to retire from his part time school bus driving job when he turned 65 and knew that he would be forced to retire from his union job when he turned 70.

But now days they need bus drivers so they throw those requirements out the window, and give the jobs to anybody who will take them.
As I understand it, school bus drivers do have to be screened. I do hear of driver shortages, but anyone working around kids these days has to pass a background check.

Old 03-27-2022, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
As I understand it, school bus drivers do have to be screened. I do hear of driver shortages, but anyone working around kids these days has to pass a background check.
That's likely the problem right there. One in three people aren't going to be able to pass the background check. If you eliminate that many prospective job candidates, you are going to have to let up on age and health requirements, and even then you probably still won't fill all the jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events