Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2022, 09:55 PM

78,366 posts, read 60,556,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
One of the articles said that she was hailing a cab when she was pushed from behind. So maybe the she ran into her? I get irritated when I walk behind slow people and try to find a way around them, but never in a million years would I think of shoving someone out of the way! I've never ran into anyone before, that I can remember, like when I was walking quickly so I'm not sure how I would react--probably more embarrassed than anything; I can't imagine hatefully shoving someone away from me.

The poor grandson who lost his best friend. He was raised by the victim when his mother died when he was 10. I feel so sorry for him, to have lost her in such a senseless way. I hope the attacker gets what's coming to her as there was no reason for her to act the way she did and destroy these people's lives.
She called her a "female dog" and then shoved her and fled per witnesses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2022, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnochili View Post
I don't understand why they just charged her w/manslaughter?

Was it an accident that resulted in death?
The death part was accidental in that shoving someone will not usually kill them, even older folks.

Sentencing ranges all the way up to 25 years.

Assuming no priors and a top notch attorney will help....but will only go so far when the victim is 87yo and the defendent fled and tried to cover it all up.

If she stayed and tried to render aid etc. then I could see her with no priors and a great lawyer getting a much lighter sentence.

I'm thinking 10-15 years or so.

Old 03-23-2022, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
WTH. I did read in an article where she crossed the street What in god's name would make ANYONE walk across the street to push an old lady?

No it wasn't like she pushed the woman off a cliff or in front of a train, just on a public sidewalk. Gee, that makes it SO much better.

They have money, so I hope the family also files a civil suit and takes some of it off of them.
My buddy is an attorney.

This is one of those cases where you aren't going to win, you're just trying for the least bad outcome.

Old 03-23-2022, 10:07 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,866,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Really? You think all people from New York "typically" shove and knock people down?

Way to buy into an idiotic stereotype. Do all people from North Carolina marry their cousins and spit tobacco juice on the street?

At any rate, it's good that they've got her. What a horrible thing to do and then not own up to it.
Exactly….NY is a fast-paced place, in-general, but people knocking over elderly people is not “typical” at all. Such a poor example to use…..

Old 03-23-2022, 10:10 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,866,720 times
The lady has no excuse for what she did. She assaulted the elderly woman, and it ended up being deadly.

Old 03-23-2022, 10:47 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,636,772 times
She apparently crossed the street after cursing at the victim, just to shove her. This was a deliberate attempt to seriously hurt an elderly woman, the death was no 'accident.'

It's said the fiance works at Microsoft. Talk about an uncomfortable environment, wonder if he still works there, is on excused absence, or resigned. Articles mention she was seen arguing with a man that fit the description of her fiance minutes after the shove.

https://www.the-sun.com/news/4956599...aveen-pereira/

Old 03-23-2022, 10:59 PM

586 posts, read 320,595 times
Maybe she thought the lady was “ stealing her cab”. Nonetheless, only a psycho would push a person over a cab, much less an elderly lady. I sure hope the June wedding is off or the fiance is crazy too. I hope she gets the max. A life was taken, over this nut. Further, the cops arrived Monday and dad said she wasn’t there. That’s when they decide she should turn herself in, just a calculation to get less time.

Old 03-24-2022, 03:12 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,925,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
She called her a "female dog" and then shoved her and fled per witnesses.
I know but some people are on here saying (per articles of course) she *crossed the street to shove her*--that doesn't even make any sense--why would this apparently random old lady be a target for person? Is there a reason she crossed the street to shove this lady if that is what happened? (Someone said--again, everyone's reading articles here and making conjectures--she may have mistaken the victim for a neighbor she was having continuous arguments with--okay, that's a motive at least). Or did she not cross the street and this is an erroneous detail? A shove can be carried out in all kinds of circumstances. I'm trying to figure out what exactly led up to the shove--was she hurrying past the victim? Ran into her? Or did she *cross the street TO* shove her? That sounds like psychopath behavior. Hopefully we'll get some answers, but that may not be.

Old 03-24-2022, 07:06 AM

16,277 posts, read 10,405,411 times
She is a white woman with a high priced lawyer, she comes from a family who is well connected and wealthy. I am skeptical that she will receive the sentence she deserves.

Old 03-24-2022, 07:10 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I assume she was caught on camera crossing the street, and then pushed the elderly women. I don’t think we know her motive for crossing the street. I wonder how she could have even noticed her from across a crowded NY street.

Attacker called her a “b**ch” and pushed her. We don’t know why. Maybe attacker doesn’t even know why. I doubt she intended to kill her. But her behavior would have likely gone unpunished if the woman had not suffered her serious injury.
Well, we don't know how crowded the street was unless they release video. The city is still nowhere near back to what it was pre-COVID. I just talked to my former (technically current, but I've done no work since August) employer who also lives in Manhattan the other day. He said that while things are still fairly sparse, it's picking up. He estimates another year until things are normal. Just FYI.

I agree that if the victim had merely been knocked down, the attacker would likely have gotten away with it. Now I'm sure the cops will have gotten video from every camera on that street to make their case. And her lawyers will likely come up with a mental illness defense and cut a deal.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 03-24-2022 at 07:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events