Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2022, 08:49 AM

2,105 posts, read 3,010,703 times

Advertisements

Drugs, they mess with your mind.
What's left of it anyway.
My guess he was high on something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2022, 10:52 AM

22,331 posts, read 29,421,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
That Walmart appears to be in a pretty bad area. I probably wouldn't shop there in any event.
Yes you are correct. I wouldn't shop there either but some people have to and they shouldn't have to deal with that BS

Old 03-23-2022, 11:17 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,472,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Probably not a bad idea. Or at least one of those stun gun/pepper spray devices.
Unfortunately, I just googled the legalities. The box cutter I had in mind might be considered a "gravity knife", which is illegal to carry. That's disgusting!

I like the boxcutter because one quick flick of the wrist opens it. No fumbling. No buttons to press. But it might be classified as a switchblade.

Stun guns and Mace are definitely illegal in my state (new York). So are brass knuckles and blade knuckles. Pepper spray is legal, but that's probably because it doesn't work well. Our NY leaders don't want us harming our attackers.

Maybe a small squirt bottle filled with ammonia -- something like an empty nasal mist plastic bottle -- might a good idea too. Aim for the chest (center of mass) or the eyes and let the fumes end the attack.

Old 03-23-2022, 12:08 PM

36,505 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Unfortunately, I just googled the legalities. The box cutter I had in mind might be considered a "gravity knife", which is illegal to carry. That's disgusting!

I like the boxcutter because one quick flick of the wrist opens it. No fumbling. No buttons to press. But it might be classified as a switchblade.

Stun guns and Mace are definitely illegal in my state (new York). So are brass knuckles and blade knuckles. Pepper spray is legal, but that's probably because it doesn't work well. Our NY leaders don't want us harming our attackers.

Maybe a small squirt bottle filled with ammonia -- something like an empty nasal mist plastic bottle -- might a good idea too. Aim for the chest (center of mass) or the eyes and let the fumes end the attack.
I guess the powers that be would rather you shot each other.
Are they illegal to own or illegal to buy in NY?
I'm considering buying a stun gun. I texted my brother for suggestions.
I could carry but I think that is overkill and I probably should not, I cant even keep up with my keys.

Old 03-23-2022, 12:11 PM

6,791 posts, read 4,233,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Yes you are correct. I wouldn't shop there either but some people have to and they shouldn't have to deal with that BS
Of course they shouldn't, but it's just an unfortunate reality that conditions in retail stores, restaurants etc. tend to mimic those in the communities around them most of the time. That's why it used to be kind of a telltale sign that the big chains would disappear when a neighborhood went downhill.

Old 03-23-2022, 12:20 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
I agree with the guy who said that there had to be something wrong with the “guy.” He meant, the attacker of course. There is so much drug addiction now. But this guy is out of control. Honestly, he needs to be locked up.

Old 03-23-2022, 12:37 PM

19,836 posts, read 12,096,528 times
Major props to the men who immediately jumped in to help remove and detain the attacker.

Old 03-23-2022, 12:46 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,287,862 times
Scary!

I've been told to use a key as a weapon if you have to. Hold it in between your fingers sticking out of a fisted hand. I guess you could possibly use one of the military can openers too. My husband used to carry one on his key chain. You would have to walk around with it in your hand. This guy had a surprise attack from behind. She didn't have much time to react.

Old 03-23-2022, 12:53 PM

43,076 posts, read 18,246,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I agree with the guy who said that there had to be something wrong with the “guy.” He meant, the attacker of course. There is so much drug addiction now. But this guy is out of control. Honestly, he needs to be locked up.
He was out on bail for grand theft auto and on probation for disorderly conduct.
He's in jail now being held on $50K bail. We'll see if they let him walk....

We don't "lock them up" anymore.

I always thought if you commit a crime while on probation that your probation gets revoked and you go back to jail.
I guess the laws are different now.

https://lawandcrime.com/crime/walmar...arvey-florida/

Old 03-23-2022, 12:53 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,146,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post

My mom used to have to deal with a neighbor's boxer, who would get loose, and jump on my mom. She wasn't a mean dog at all, but she was big, and my mom was not, and had knocked my mom down more than once.

So my mom made a concoction of dish soap, pickle juice, lemon juice and 409, and kept it in a squirt bottle. Whenever she left the house, she'd carry that bottle. She DID use it on the dog like...2x I think it was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events