Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2022, 07:45 AM

2,161 posts, read 1,150,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
He's very lucky to be alive. Most women that I know carry firearms for protection.
I know where I would have aimed my gun, just saying...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2022, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice_Major View Post
It's simple math. You can't jail everyone. As such non-violent offenders typically get reduced sentences or go on parole. Overcrowded prisons cost money. That money has to come from taxes. Just like public education people like to complain everyday about the failures but absolutely refuse to pay more tax dollars to fix the problem.

Shocking indeed, but the chance of such an incident occurring to to anyone particularly in a store is less than 1%. A woman has greater odds of dying or being seriously injured in a car crash, that doesn't phase anyone from driving.
You are comparing car accidents to men choosing to brutally attack women? Wth is wrong with you?

Old 03-25-2022, 09:03 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,467,928 times
Quote:
It's simple math. You can't jail everyone. As such non-violent offenders typically get reduced sentences or go on parole. Overcrowded prisons cost money. That money has to come from taxes. Just like public education people like to complain everyday about the failures but absolutely refuse to pay more tax dollars to fix the problem.

Shocking indeed, but the chance of such an incident occurring to to anyone particularly in a store is less than 1%. A woman has greater odds of dying or being seriously injured in a car crash, that doesn't phase anyone from driving.

Says who? Who is refusing to build more prisons?
People like you throw out that statement all the time. Where's the proof to back it up? It's just another lie being told so often that people believe it.

It's possible that it's true, I suppose, but most people I know would gladly see more prisons built. There are several ways to pay for that WITHOUT charging the taxpayer. The money is there. It's being sent where it shouldn't. Redirect it to our own citizens... and build those prisons.

Old 03-25-2022, 09:09 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,362,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
This is crazy. What the heck is wrong with men especially as they get older. And most of these guys have a spouse/girlfriend.
I do think almost all girls/women have had similar experiences. I have had my share but not at such a young age.
That was the initial intention of the hashtag #MeToo. Almost every woman has a story about being touched, harrassed, followed, made uncomfortable, that it was a rallying cry to say this has happened to all of us. Me, too.

Old 03-25-2022, 12:24 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,942,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Unfortunately, I just googled the legalities. The box cutter I had in mind might be considered a "gravity knife", which is illegal to carry. That's disgusting!

I like the boxcutter because one quick flick of the wrist opens it. No fumbling. No buttons to press. But it might be classified as a switchblade.

Stun guns and Mace are definitely illegal in my state (new York). So are brass knuckles and blade knuckles. Pepper spray is legal, but that's probably because it doesn't work well. Our NY leaders don't want us harming our attackers.

Maybe a small squirt bottle filled with ammonia -- something like an empty nasal mist plastic bottle -- might a good idea too. Aim for the chest (center of mass) or the eyes and let the fumes end the attack.
Ammonia in the eyes? You'd probably be sued by the perp for blinding them.

Old 03-25-2022, 02:20 PM

4,168 posts, read 2,566,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC View Post
Aim for the core, and shoot twice.

Old 03-25-2022, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Aim for the core, and shoot twice.
In this case I was thinking I would aim a little lower.

Old 03-25-2022, 02:35 PM

Quote:

Then why are there so many "For profit" prisons? They are very big business, and it isn't all from taxes. Here are the search results for "for profit prisons are big business".

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=for+profit...usiness&ia=web

You act like attacks from sexual predators are rare when they are extremely common. Many not reported because of devil may care attitudes like yours.

Old 03-25-2022, 02:43 PM

Quote:
In this case I was thinking I would aim a little lower.
Since it's so small you may miss . The point is to put him out of commission for good, not wound him. You don't want him coming after you in a rage. Your weapon only holds so many rounds, make them count. Taken from weapons instructors.

Old 03-25-2022, 03:36 PM

8,167 posts, read 6,918,994 times
Quote:
yep. If criminals thought they needed to be more wary of their potential "victims", if more of them thought of it as "victim russian roulette", maybe we would have less crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events