Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2022, 08:48 AM

17,136 posts, read 15,341,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
This is Miami it is not Florida as NYC is not NY. I have no problem living in Florida as I would have no problem visiting upstate NY.
To be fair... Orlando generally gets similar wacky news stories as Miami does... It's not just Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2022, 11:00 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Unfortunately, I just googled the legalities. The box cutter I had in mind might be considered a "gravity knife", which is illegal to carry. That's disgusting!

I like the boxcutter because one quick flick of the wrist opens it. No fumbling. No buttons to press. But it might be classified as a switchblade.

Stun guns and Mace are definitely illegal in my state (new York). So are brass knuckles and blade knuckles. Pepper spray is legal, but that's probably because it doesn't work well. Our NY leaders don't want us harming our attackers.

Maybe a small squirt bottle filled with ammonia -- something like an empty nasal mist plastic bottle -- might a good idea too. Aim for the chest (center of mass) or the eyes and let the fumes end the attack.
My understanding is, that Mace is illegal in many states, but women carry it anyway. They've done the math, and would rather get cited for carrying Mace than become an assault victim.

Old 03-28-2022, 11:22 AM

2,161 posts, read 1,150,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
My understanding is, that Mace is illegal in many states, but women carry it anyway. They've done the math, and would rather get cited for carrying Mace than become an assault victim.
What? Where did you get that information from? It is LEGAL to carry it in every single state.

Old 03-28-2022, 11:57 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Maybe it is time to get a service dog vest for the family doberman pinscher. It doesn't seem to matter how crazy or doped up a person is, they still keep their primal fear of big sharp teeth.

Grabbed from behind? Well, I am trained to deal with that, and it wouldn't take too many lessons to prepare a person for that situation. You just have to give up some of your time to take a couple of classes and be willing to hurt a stranger rather badly. And perhaps make some minimal effort to keep in good enough condition to run like the dickens when you break free.

Probably a bit of luck for that woman that she was in Florida and not NYC, where the crowd would just part and walk around her and her attacker. Or maybe stand there and film the whole thing with their cell phone so they could post it on the internet. I do notice that most of the crowd in Florida fell into the "film it" camp of observers.

Old 03-28-2022, 12:04 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC View Post
What? Where did you get that information from? It is LEGAL to carry it in every single state.
Javacoffee said it's illegal in NY. It depends on what kind of mace is involved. The original formula developed in the 1960's has been outlawed, and replaced by pepper spray, which is both more effective, and less toxic than the original formula. I remember hearing Mace was illegal, but I didn't realize it had been replaced by a better product that was legal.

Old 03-28-2022, 06:20 PM

175 posts, read 97,709 times
I hope this perp is not put back out on the streets to reoffend.

The #MeToo movement should be an eye opener for lawmakers. Women have spoken up about the impact of sexual assault on their lives and how they struggle with the aftermath for years. It's time our judicial system recognized the seriousness of this crime and how deep the scars can be. We need longer, much longer, sentences for perpetrators of sex crimes — whether the victims are adult or juvenile.

Old 03-28-2022, 08:20 PM

2,161 posts, read 1,150,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Javacoffee said it's illegal in NY. It depends on what kind of mace is involved. The original formula developed in the 1960's has been outlawed, and replaced by pepper spray, which is both more effective, and less toxic than the original formula. I remember hearing Mace was illegal, but I didn't realize it had been replaced by a better product that was legal.
Mace, pepper spray, bear spray, whatever it is, it doesn't look like it's illegal in any state. I have no clue what the 60's has to do with now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTzen View Post

The #MeToo movement should be an eye opener for lawmakers. Women have spoken up about the impact of sexual assault on their lives and how they struggle with the aftermath for years. It's time our judicial system recognized the seriousness of this crime and how deep the scars can be. We need longer, much longer, sentences for perpetrators of sex crimes — whether the victims are adult or juvenile.
I wonder if he is back on the streets. He got a 50k bond. That's a slap in the face to the victim. Who was the judge that set that bond? Shame on them.

Old 03-28-2022, 08:35 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
Don't know why no one wanted to try out some of the sporting goods. I'm sure they have a nice selection of bats..... Failing that, hammers are quite useful ..

Old 03-31-2022, 10:15 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,425,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
To be fair... Orlando generally gets similar wacky news stories as Miami does... It's not just Miami.
Didn't say it wasn't. Parts of Orlando are awful. I live near Daytona and there are areas I would not go at night or at least after midnight (nothing good happens after midnight anyway anymore) but I have never felt unsafe in a Walmart in Daytona or even Orlando but Miami, hell I feel unsafe driving through.

Old 03-31-2022, 10:39 AM

43,054 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTzen View Post

The "perp" was already out on bail for another crime and on probation for yet a different crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events