Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2022, 07:54 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
But generalized stats don’t take muscle mass into account. The kid was an athlete.

Not sure what that has to do with anything though. It’s on the park to determine size/height restrictions on rides, which they did several times that day with this child. Why didn’t they check to make sure the harness for him before the ride started? Regardless his size fault is all on the park.

I agree, on the park and on those employees who did not check his harness. They should be charged with something. Employees can't keep being negligent about things like people's lives in their hands.

Quote:
I don’t think the operators on the ride with the little girl should have been charged because both were brand new employees. They didn’t know what they were doing. Two brand new ride attendants shouldn’t be on a ride like this alone. They should have been split up with experienced operators.

I agree two inexperienced people should not have been on that ride together, but funny, they knew enough to over ride the safety feature? They should have had some sort of charge, even some sort of small one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2022, 07:59 AM

50,763 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Thanks for the article. It's very clear the harness was not strapped down in the photo shown on the page. The employees should be charged with some sort of negligence at the very least because it was their actions ( lack of actions) that caused this, it did not malfunction as he was coming down.

Those restraints are pretty darned effective. I've had many like it in my day of going to amusement parks. They've been using them for many, many years. You do not need a second belt using the harness.

These days with technology, and how products are manufactured, there should have been alarms going to say his harness was not on, because clearly it was not in the photo. I would think there would be a computer screen that would show exactly which harness was not secured right.

He was a big kid. Should not have been on the ride. Apparently he couldn't ride any others due to his size. Sounded like he was very worried, I'm surprised he did not jump off when it started up.

Harrowing 911 call reveals workers 'didn't secure the seatbelt' of 14-year-old who fell to his death from 430-foot Orlando drop tower: Caller says teen was 'not responsive' but possibly still alive immediately after fall

His father says that Tyre knew something was wrong and was 'freaking out' on the way up the ride
'If I don't make it down tell, please tell my mama and daddy I love them,' Tyre told friend sitting next to him
Just after the tragic incident, a 911 caller claimed that theme park staff didn't properly 'secure the seatbelt'
A woman told a 911 operator that 'they didn't secure the seatbelt on him,' and that he was unresponsive
Images taken just before the ride also appear to show Tyre's harness not properly buckled
I don’t think the operators are totally at fault. The ride manufacturer said the ride was designed not to start until all harnesses were clicked in. This was not something left to human decision it was supposed to be automatic fail safe. Yet it started anyway. So there was obviously some kind of malfunction.

Old 03-27-2022, 07:59 AM

22,333 posts, read 29,421,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
If so, the people operating the ride should not have let him on.
1000% agree

Old 03-27-2022, 08:04 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
Quote:
I don’t think the operators are totally at fault. The ride manufacturer said the ride was designed not to start until all harnesses were clicked in. This was not something left to human decision it was supposed to be automatic fail safe. Yet it started anyway. So there was obviously some kind of malfunction.
I agree.

Curious: does the manufacturer refer to these BRACES as "harnesses"? Because a harness is a flexible, adjustable strap; this is a BRACE. That really bugs me; words matter!

Old 03-27-2022, 08:07 AM

50,763 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I agree.

Curious: does the manufacturer refer to these BRACES as "harnesses"? Because a harness is a flexible, adjustable strap; this is a BRACE. That really bugs me; words matter!
I don’t recall. The post that quoted the manufacturer is on the prior page I believe.

Old 03-27-2022, 08:24 AM

2,161 posts, read 1,152,314 times
Quote:
I agree.

I would call it a shoulder restraint but because it buckles down to the seat between the legs it basically becomes a 3 point harness with the buckled strap being the only flex point.

Old 03-27-2022, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC View Post
I would call it a shoulder restraint but because it buckles down to the seat between the legs it basically becomes a 3 point harness with the buckled strap being the only flex point.
I don't believe it "buckles"; I think it just locks into place, holding the body firmly down and against the back of the seat..

Last edited by otterhere; 03-27-2022 at 08:44 AM..

Old 03-27-2022, 08:48 AM

17,161 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
I don't believe it "buckles"; I think it just locks into place, holding the body firmly down and against the back of the seat..
Yeah I don't see a buckle. And when I went and saw it in person, I didn't see one either. And the videos on Youtube of people getting on the ride only show them pulling the brace down... Not buckling anything to it.

Old 03-27-2022, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Yeah I don't see a buckle. And when I went and saw it in person, I didn't see one either. And the videos on Youtube of people getting on the ride only show them pulling the brace down... Not buckling anything to it.
In other words, "bracing" them against the seat. So it's not a "harness."

Old 03-27-2022, 09:12 AM

21,467 posts, read 10,570,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC View Post
The actually video from before and after is crazy! This is the worlds highest drop tower ride and the ride attendant doesn't even check the seat belts? Some riders are still questioning the attendant about it when the ride takes off. You can hear, possibly the 14 year old, boy clearly saying "no" along with others, as the ride takes off.

https://youtu.be/ozhnXp9OWEk
My mom worked for plaintiffs’ lawyers when I was growing up and she would take us to Astroworld and drop us off nearly every day in the summer while she went to work (we had season passes). On the way she would tell us not to ride certain rides because they had lawsuits for injuries. We let that go in one ear and right out the other ear because most of those rides were our favorites. You’d be surprised at some of the injuries. They even had a lawsuit against the teacup ride, where a toddler fell out and died a horrible death. That was in the late ‘70s/early ‘80s so this is nothing new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events