Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2022, 12:09 PM

145 posts, read 80,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Impacting the ground at terminal velocity?
Recklessly Jumping off buildings aka stupid decisions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2022, 01:43 PM

33,016 posts, read 36,569,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StcLurker View Post
base jumpers don't have time for a spare, part of the "thrill" I suppose
Some guy managed to get a reserve out at the New River Gorge Bridge in West Virginia, though that's more than twice as high as a twenty-three story building.

Old 03-26-2022, 01:51 PM

88,863 posts, read 85,293,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
A couple of years ago, we were camping in Big Bend, and someone in our group brought a similar book titled "Death in Big Bend" and I made the mistake of reading it. Slept with one eye open that night, LOL.

Seriously though, the vast majority of deaths in National Parks are due to the same reasons as deaths anywhere- natural causes like heart attacks and stroke; motor vehicle accidents etc. Then you have people doing dumb stuff like you described above, and lastly, you have homicides that may or may not get solved. It was that last category that worried me...
My old neighbor's parents were walking in Garden of the Gods park in Colorado when his father said he didn't feel right, sat on a rock, and died of a heart attack. There was his mother alone on a trail with a dead husband, not knowing what to do. She waited with him until someone came along that she could ask to run and get help, but he was gone.

My neighbor had to fly out there to help his distraught mother make arrangements to fly his father's body back to NJ.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 03-27-2022 at 07:54 AM.. Reason: apostrophe

Old 03-26-2022, 05:29 PM

17,874 posts, read 16,056,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
Reminds me of the guy in Grand Canyon National Park who 'pretended' to fall off the rim in an attempt to play a joke on his daughter, but was really just jumping to a ledge a few feet below the rim ... however, he missed the ledge and plunged 400 feet to his demise.

Source:
Death in the Grand Canyon, a book from a number of years ago which collected all known fatalities to occur within the boundaries of the park.
How they know it was a failed joke then? Its not like the jumper confirmed in a later statement.

Old 03-27-2022, 06:05 AM

16,378 posts, read 10,515,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Some guy managed to get a reserve out at the New River Gorge Bridge in West Virginia, though that's more than twice as high as a twenty-three story building.
Ah yes, Bridge Day. A little background for the others: This is an amazing bridge, and for years people would BASE jump from it illegally. Local police tired of utilizing resources to constantly try to catch them so they gave up and made it an event. I've always wanted to go but it's a drive and something tells me it would get old quickly.

Old 03-27-2022, 06:50 AM

78,785 posts, read 60,983,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Ah yes, Bridge Day. A little background for the others: This is an amazing bridge, and for years people would BASE jump from it illegally. Local police tired of utilizing resources to constantly try to catch them so they gave up and made it an event. I've always wanted to go but it's a drive and something tells me it would get old quickly.
I agree. Charge a fee, sign a waiver and if you splat it's not like you're going to incur costs for medical care.

Same thing imo as organized drag races with cars, boats, planes etc.

Old 03-27-2022, 09:38 AM

10,010 posts, read 4,747,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I don't understand why people with kids do this??/
Kids are supposed to be their rush or joy.

Another case of someone who never fully grew up. I get many outdoor activities can be dangerous but here there is no time to deal with any issue. This is part of the reason so many young people have issues today because their parents never grew up. When the adult wants to play like a child things will go wrong.

Was the building his residence or did he tresspass to the roof?

Old 03-27-2022, 11:51 AM

10,406 posts, read 6,982,545 times
When you jump off a building, make sure it's really high, that way you have time to deploy your auxiliary chute, when your primary fails. If you don't have time, then you hit the ground (or, concrete, like in this instance.)

Wonder what his kid thinks of it, now...

Old 03-27-2022, 12:01 PM

10,010 posts, read 4,747,054 times
Do these base jumpers pack their own chute or they have a sky diving service do it?

Old 03-27-2022, 02:29 PM

17,521 posts, read 22,279,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
Do these base jumpers pack their own chute or they have a sky diving service do it?
pack your own
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events