Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2022, 07:22 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,852,695 times

Advertisements

https://www.newsweek.com/leaked-appl...-labor-1691819

Quote:
In the email, Pankratz wrote: "Everyone has heard that gas prices continue to rise. The advantage this has for us is that it will increase application flow and has the potential to lower our average wage."
Quote:
He goes on to explain that most of the Applebee's employee base live "paycheck to paycheck," and that an increase in gas prices will automatically cut their disposable income.
Someone needs to tell him that his theory about people being "forced back into the labor pool" due to no more enhanced unemployment benefits has been disproven in recent months.

Old 03-28-2022, 12:43 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,209,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post

Someone needs to tell him that his theory about people being "forced back into the labor pool" due to no more enhanced unemployment benefits has been disproven in recent months.

Plus...with gas prices going up...doesn't that cut in to EVERYONE'S disposable income? Thus...the average Applebee's customer?

Old 03-28-2022, 12:53 PM

6,858 posts, read 4,309,746 times
You gotta love those unprompted emails from execs sharing their wisdom with the rest of the team without anyone having asked them for their opinion. Also those sycophantic follow-ups of "wow great message" etc. sound oddly familiar. You can tell this guy thinks he's God's gift to the business world.

With regard to what he's actually saying and the tone..why would you be surprised that corporate leadership views labor primarily as a cost factor in their balance sheets. That's just the reality of it, especially but not only, in a larger company.

Old 03-28-2022, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
You gotta love those unprompted emails from execs sharing their wisdom with the rest of the team without anyone having asked them for their opinion. Also those sycophantic follow-ups of "wow great message" etc. sound oddly familiar. You can tell this guy thinks he's God's gift to the business world.

With regard to what he's actually saying and the tone..why would you be surprised that corporate leadership views labor primarily as a cost factor in their balance sheets. That's just the reality of it, especially but not only, in a larger company.
Yes...I didn't have a problem with the over all message so much, except it's pretty club footed and clumsy. But am I wrong? That same diminishing disposable income affects their clientele too, doesn't it? And while Applebee's has it's niche in the restaurant business...they're just one of many places to 'eat out'...and Applebees is never MY first choice of where to eat. (Shrug shoulders.)

Old 03-28-2022, 01:20 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,624,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
Yes...I didn't have a problem with the over all message so much, except it's pretty club footed and clumsy. But am I wrong? That same diminishing disposable income affects their clientele too, doesn't it? And while Applebee's has it's niche in the restaurant business...they're just one of many places to 'eat out'...and Applebees is never MY first choice of where to eat. (Shrug shoulders.)
I do have a problem with his overall message. It doesn't apply to me, but I sure do take offense at implying now we can corner the low wage earner back into forced slavery type of work with lower wages, which is essentially what he is saying.

And yes, if people's disposable income is cut, eating out less is one of the first things to go. Applebees? Meh, their food is nothing to brag about.

Old 03-28-2022, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
I do have a problem with his overall message. It doesn't apply to me, but I sure do take offense at implying now we can corner the low wage earner back into forced slavery type of work with lower wages, which is essentially what he is saying.

And yes, if people's disposable income is cut, eating out less is one of the first things to go. Applebees? Meh, their food is nothing to brag about.
Well...they're offering $18 to $20 an hour now, instead of the 'usual' $15. (Or whatever it is.) I can understand wanting to go back to the previous rate per hour. However, taking joy off of someone else's pain isn't cool. Not at all.

And yeah...Applebee's isn't my first choice either. I'm lucky to live in an area that has a lot of variety to choose from.

Old 03-28-2022, 02:11 PM

40,977 posts, read 49,331,421 times
Can't believe anyone eats at Applebees.

Old 03-28-2022, 02:17 PM

6,597 posts, read 11,327,457 times
Not sure how much this matters....

This "exec" does not work for Applebee's or its owner Dine Brand's.
He worked for a franchisee that owns Applebee's and Taco Bells. It's been reported as Apple Central (which is the email domain on the meme) and/or American Franchise Capital, depending on which article you read. Maybe they're the same company.

Not defending him or any of these companies. Just sayin'.

There are reports that he's been suspended or fired.

There are some saying he's still going to get millions of dollars in severance (because you know, all executives make what the F10 do). I highly doubt he's getting anything other than his two weeks.... which is more than he deserves, IMO.

Old 03-28-2022, 06:07 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,318,136 times
Quote:

Yep. This should be filed under “tell me you’re a moron, without telling me you’re a moron” because that exec — definitely a moron.

Old 03-28-2022, 07:14 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,813,811 times
Quote:

Reminds me in W&E how one exec was saying "If you're not in the office, you're not invested in the company"

Funny how he was a major exec in office rentals......Some people are too obvious.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events