Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2022, 06:15 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,810,120 times

Advertisements

Reminded me of a story told by a graduate student friend sharing a ride to some conference. They looked like grad students: shaggy, bearded, worn clothing, a bit scruffy. They were driving a vintage pickup down I-5 in central CA. Broad daylight.

State police car blew by them going the other direction, hit the brakes, crossed the median, and pulled in behind them, siren, lights flashing. He pulled over and stopped on the shoulder. Officers jumped out brandishing guns, crouched behind the open car doors, megaphone barking orders to stay in the car, hands in plain view. More and more patrols showed up, barricaded the highway and surrounded them. Then everything stopped for who knows how long. Of course both of them were terrified. They were put on the ground face down, muzzles to their heads, handcuffed and searched. He thought he was going to die.

Finally someone got some sort of radio update and it was like a switch flipping. Everyone relaxed. My friend remembers just collapsing in the grass on the side of the road. Finally asked an officer what it was all about. Apparently two guys fitting their general description had tried to rob a bank in the closest small town, shot a guard, and took off in a high speed chase in a vintage pickup the same color. He asked if they were in danger of being shot. "Definitely!" was the reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2022, 07:54 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,939,379 times
Next time they want to see birds, hire a tour guide/outfitter. They know the area. They know the disputed parts to avoid.

Old 04-07-2022, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
The guys with the guns were probably the good guys protecting their turf from drug runners and general marauders.... otherwise those young men would be dead.

It'll be a long time before my feet leave American soil.
Where they get their guns from? Mexico makes it hard, and you can only have 22LR calibre.

Old 04-07-2022, 08:06 PM

I first read the title as "stomped by gunmen"

Old 04-08-2022, 01:23 AM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It’s pretty dangerous here, too!
Yep, just rent a car from Hertz and you will get the exact same treatment.

Old 04-08-2022, 07:16 AM

15,427 posts, read 7,482,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Where they get their guns from? Mexico makes it hard, and you can only have 22LR calibre.
It's not that hard to get a rifle in Mexico. You can't own a military caliber, but other rifles are OK. The bad guys get guns the old fashioned way, theft or smuggling. Or from soldiers who steal them to sell.

Old 04-08-2022, 08:03 AM

880 posts, read 564,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
That's terrifying, I'd probably react the same and soil my pants and vomit as well.

They were fortunate to come across locals that saved them from potential danger.

Probably not a good idea at all to go around in remote country areas off the road like that.

https://www.insideedition.com/birdwa...ack-road-74192

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kcl9OPzLIU&t=5s

These people are retarded... and it's part of the problem with the narrative that the media continues to push, that Mexico is a peaceful and fun-loving country. Many people purposely visit Mexico to show their "support" for illegal immigration... not sure how that works in their mind, but regardless. This is a narrative that's pushed heavily in places like New York and New Jersey, where they couldn't possibly be further from any kind of reality of illegal immigration, or any concept of what central America is really like.

I won't go into details, but I've spent a lot of time in Central America visiting places like JTF-Bravo, etc., and know that the narrative the news stations push is nonsense. Narcos like FARC, etc... literally run most of central America. When you visit countries such as Nicaragua, Honduras, Mexico, etc... the consulate will give you a pamphlet that specifically spells out "red zones" which are areas that the local government has absolutely no control over. The MAJORITY of the maps are red.

This inside edition only made the news because it'll provide excellent ratings... i.e., we're all talking about it. Mexico, while they try their best, is a hotbed of drug gangs. We feed this by allowing drugs to flow in through our borders, which directly funds the narcos whom then bribe and manipulate government officials.

Old 04-08-2022, 08:04 AM

17,302 posts, read 22,030,713 times
two gay guys from Indiana traveling through Mexico.........what could go wrong in a macho corrupt culture like Mexico?

Glad the boys were safe but I'm not sure I buy the "gringos watching birds" story.

Old 04-08-2022, 08:19 AM

3,702 posts, read 4,850,376 times
Life is an adventure and when traveling around in other country's one must be cautious.

I remember in my travelling days sportfishing a couple of us went in the not so good parts of Colon, Panama. Upon leaving the club we could not find a taxi back to the boat but a covered white Toyota Hilux pulled ov er an d the uniformed driver said he'd take us. Hopped in the back and there were two others with the guns on them looking at us. Anded up talking a bit and at the edge of town the driver saw a taxi, flagged him and said since there was a taxi they couldn't take us any farther. All was good. Was it stupid? You bet! I guess fishing out of Venezuela for the previous several years got me immune to seeing that.

Old 04-08-2022, 08:27 AM

3,702 posts, read 4,850,376 times
I also hate to mention it, but it was kind of brought up a few posts back. But the media always pushes how dangerous the US is and makes some believe they will get shot just stepping out the door. And they always play up everywhere else because it's NOT the US.

Well guess what kiddies. These country's deffinately are not the US. Though there are many places one can go in safety, there are many places that a Gringo" should never get near.

In the US the cities pretty much have the crime and it can be quite obvious where not to go!

In other places the cities have crime as well, and it can be obvious as to the no-go sections as well. But a lot of the country side has no-go zones as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events