Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2022, 08:29 AM

3,703 posts, read 4,853,977 times

Advertisements

"Stay on the path boss, there's guerillas in these woods!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2022, 08:30 AM

30,171 posts, read 11,809,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It’s pretty dangerous here, too!

There is no comparison. The main highway from Nogales, Son to Hermosillo is not safe to travel on at night, period. In fact most highways in Mexico have the same problem at night. You can get randomly pulled over by bandits and robbed or worse. Going on some isolated road in Mexico could put you in cartel territory and you put your life at risk. Like what happened to these tourists. Mexico is very dangerous. The safest areas are the tourists spots. And they are now being targeted more. If you live in Mexico you know where to avoid. A tourist does not know these things.

Old 04-08-2022, 08:39 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Who knew birdwatching could be so hazardous? Perhaps they should stick to a hobby such as stamp collecting while visiting Mexico.
There are areas around Cancun and the Yucatan that are parks, large archaeological sites, etc., where bird-watching is safe and potentially rewarding (in terms of birds to see). I wonder if these guys did any research about that before heading off on their road trip.

Old 04-08-2022, 08:54 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atari2600 View Post
These people are retarded... and it's part of the problem with the narrative that the media continues to push, that Mexico is a peaceful and fun-loving country. Many people purposely visit Mexico to show their "support" for illegal immigration... not sure how that works in their mind, but regardless. This is a narrative that's pushed heavily in places like New York and New Jersey, where they couldn't possibly be further from any kind of reality of illegal immigration, or any concept of what central America is really like.

I won't go into details, but I've spent a lot of time in Central America visiting places like JTF-Bravo, etc., and know that the narrative the news stations push is nonsense. Narcos like FARC, etc... literally run most of central America. When you visit countries such as Nicaragua, Honduras, Mexico, etc... the consulate will give you a pamphlet that specifically spells out "red zones" which are areas that the local government has absolutely no control over. The MAJORITY of the maps are red.

This inside edition only made the news because it'll provide excellent ratings... i.e., we're all talking about it. Mexico, while they try their best, is a hotbed of drug gangs. We feed this by allowing drugs to flow in through our borders, which directly funds the narcos whom then bribe and manipulate government officials.
In what way do the media push the idea that Mexico is a peaceful and fun-loving country, other than in travel advertising? I guess you haven't seen the film footage of armed members of the armed forces patrolling popular beaches around Cancun and elsewhere in the Yucatan? Do people tune out media reports of murders by the cartels?

And who are these people who go to Mexico deliberately to "show support for illegal immigration"? What does that even mean?

How thoughtful of the US embassies in Central America to hand out no-go-zone maps. Do the pamphlets explain, that one reason there's so much violent crime, is that US Contra activity back in the 80's set Honduras on that path? Does the pamphlet also explain the history of US meddling in elections in those countries, staging coups, etc.?
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-honduras-coup

Old 04-08-2022, 10:36 AM

50,820 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Not where I live.
Not where I vacation.
How much simpler can I make this for you?
It has not one thing to do with you personally. A poster said this wouldn't happen to him because his feet aren't leaving American soil. That's the post I responded to. Every place on American soil isn't safe. That you live and vacation in safe places isn't relevant at all to the point of my post.

Old 04-08-2022, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
There is no comparison. The main highway from Nogales, Son to Hermosillo is not safe to travel on at night, period. In fact most highways in Mexico have the same problem at night. You can get randomly pulled over by bandits and robbed or worse. Going on some isolated road in Mexico could put you in cartel territory and you put your life at risk. Like what happened to these tourists. Mexico is very dangerous. The safest areas are the tourists spots. And they are now being targeted more. If you live in Mexico you know where to avoid. A tourist does not know these things.
I wouldn't go away from the resort area in Mexico or a lot of countries. yes, it's more dangeruus then the U.S. but that doesn't mean everywhere in the U.S. is safe, which is the narrative I pushed back on.

Old 04-08-2022, 11:25 AM

30,171 posts, read 11,809,456 times
Quote:
I wouldn't go away from the resort area in Mexico or a lot of countries. yes, it's more dangeruus then the U.S. but that doesn't mean everywhere in the U.S. is safe, which is the narrative I pushed back on.
Its different in Mexico. You go to some nature area in the US near a state park or whatever and its almost certainly a safe area. There are not going to be armed gunmen looking for victims. In Mexico the rural areas are often where meth labs and cartel headquarters are located. And they literally control the region. I remember a couple years ago a caravan of people heading back to Arizona from Chihuahua was ambushed in a rural area and slaughtered. I am surprised these two guys were so naive to this.

Old 04-08-2022, 11:37 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,477,592 times
Quote:
It has not one thing to do with you personally. A poster said this wouldn't happen to him because his feet aren't leaving American soil. That's the post I responded to. Every place on American soil isn't safe. That you live and vacation in safe places isn't relevant at all to the point of my post.
Then stop quoting me.

I love America. I don't live, vacation or hang out in dangerous places. I'm not scared of my neighbors and fellow countrymen.
If you are, move to a safer place... and stop quoting me like a demented parrot.

Old 04-08-2022, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Then stop quoting me.

I love America. I don't live, vacation or hang out in dangerous places. I'm not scared of my neighbors and fellow countrymen.
If you are, move to a safer place... and stop quoting me like a demented parrot.
It was you who responded to my post to the other poster:

It’s pretty dangerous here, too!

Jave: Not where I live.

Old 04-08-2022, 04:53 PM

2,161 posts, read 1,154,275 times
Quote:
Then stop quoting me.

I can't stop loling!!! I wish we had a POTD sticky here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events