Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2022, 04:06 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,439,526 times

Advertisements

I'm curious if the Walmart trucks are automatic & governed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2022, 06:31 PM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Nah. Most drivers can't make close to that.
But truck driving is not the place for someone with an hourly mentality. The lines between working and not working are often blurry, even though NTSB has defined them in their own way.

I drove for 5 years, 750,000 miles. Let me just comment - it's not a talent, it's a skill. No one is born knowing how to fly through Atlanta traffic at 70MPH while staying in all the right lanes and changing lanes when prudent. You have to practice all that to make it happen.
Yeah but what year did you drive?

I used to work for $3.15 an hour when it was minimum wage too. Obviously its gone up!

Old 04-10-2022, 06:32 PM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
Is that income based on a 40 hour week?
A lot of truckers are paid per mile..........not per hour

Old 04-10-2022, 07:36 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Yeah but what year did you drive?

I used to work for $3.15 an hour when it was minimum wage too. Obviously its gone up!
2005 -2010, when I retired. I made 60K a year, which was pretty good during that time.

Old 04-11-2022, 02:36 AM

2,912 posts, read 1,248,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
I'm curious if the Walmart trucks are automatic & governed.
That likely depends on the carrier. My ex-wife used to drive for Schneider National and they often pulled WalMart trailers. Her cabs were governed. I know some of the carriers are not. And of course WalMart pulls some of their own trailers.

Old 04-11-2022, 07:37 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Local Community Colleges around here dropped their CDL training courses years ago, and I remember just before, the academic advisors stopped recommending trucking as a career, (mainly due to self drive trucks taking over eventually), this was years ago, they have still not brought back the CDL training courses.

I guess they figure its one of those things that there is still a need for temporarily, but not a good idea to start someone young in it right now as a life long career.

Old 04-11-2022, 08:04 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,592,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Not to mention that an at fault accident can end your job AND you have people on the road who are TRYING to get into an accident with you for insurance fraud... You have DoT regulations to adhere to so far as log books and all that.. You have DoT regulations so far as health.. If you're diabetic, on insulin.. You're out. Drug testing is strict.

Most truck drives nowadays are.. Dare I say.. Professionals. The days of the 70's and pep pills and the like are pretty much in the past.

There's.. Actually a.. "niche market" of married folks who tandem drive. It's not highly common, but it's not unheard of, either.
I need this 70K lbs transformer currently in Spokane to be in Miami 8AM Thursday... It can be done by truck but it is going to cost you.

Had a load of pallet rack the mfg screwed up on big time. They paid an arm and a leg to get it to me "only" 3 days late.

Old 04-11-2022, 02:10 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Kind of funny when you think about it though. Perhaps a city with a median income of a truck driver at WalMart isn't the market. I mean, I don't disagree. I hate shopping at WalMart but maybe I shouldn't.

WalMart has always paid generous salaries though. There's this whole narrative about how awful WalMart is for coming in and burying the mom and pop stores. Which is true, it tends to do that. But for the average employee it's better. WalMart pays better than the mom and pop stores do. The only employers I've had who have tried to make me come in off the clock and work for them unpaid have all been mom and pop, either retail or restaurants. Fortunately I've never needed to keep those jobs for long and I probably wouldn't last long there anyway. I know a couple people I went to college with who went to WalMart on the corporate side and are still there. It's good money, stable job, good company to work for. That doesn't mean stocking shelves at WalMart or working warehouse is anyone's dream job. It's still stocking shelves and warehousing, just there's worse places to do that and better ones. WalMart is far from the worst.
Salaries for part time are not same as for full time
Salaries for floor people not same as white collar
Lot of WalMart depends on the store manager
Some are really overworking their employees to shine to area supervisors and get bonuses and promotions

Old 04-11-2022, 02:12 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

There's.. Actually a.. "niche market" of married folks who tandem drive. It's not highly common, but it's not unheard of, either.
One of my supervisors at TX Dept of Health and Human Services in the 90’s had done that with her husband—and when she retired from the state she thought she might go back to it
But it is a hard way to make a living and you basically have two people splitting a job so your pay is less

Old 04-11-2022, 03:08 PM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
110K is 2100 a week/ over $52 an hour but not an easy job. The hours/work schedule are likely very grueling and oh yeah you have to have the talent to drive a 75 ft long tractor trailer!

I bet if you are a good truck driver 110k is an insult.
Truck drivers do not drive 40 hours a week. They drive 70 hours a week. Which is $30 an hour, not $52.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events