Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2022, 09:15 PM

10,375 posts, read 10,706,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Juries determine guilt or innocence. Judges hand down sentences.
This trial is to determine the sentence in this case. Jurors will decide whether to recommend a life sentence or the death penalty for Cruz, who pled guilty to 17 counts of first-degree murder and 17 counts of attempted murder. The case is expected to stretch from June to September.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2022, 09:25 PM

6,087 posts, read 3,801,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
This trial is to determine the sentence in this case. Jurors will decide whether to recommend a life sentence or the death penalty for Cruz, who pled guilty to 17 counts of first-degree murder and 17 counts of attempted murder. The case is expected to stretch from June to September.
It wouldn't take me 5 minutes to reach a decision on that sentence. I don't know how long the sentencing trial might take. If that guy doesn't get the maximum sentence, then I can't think of anyone who would. How many people do you have to kill to get the maximum sentence... 100? 200? 5,000? Seems to me that 17 should be more than enough.

Old 04-13-2022, 05:36 AM

15,577 posts, read 7,603,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
It wouldn't take me 5 minutes to reach a decision on that sentence. I don't know how long the sentencing trial might take. If that guy doesn't get the maximum sentence, then I can't think of anyone who would. How many people do you have to kill to get the maximum sentence... 100? 200? 5,000? Seems to me that 17 should be more than enough.
The defendant gets a defense for each offense. The weeks it takes is for the State and the defense to present their cases on appropriate punishment.

Old 04-13-2022, 07:18 AM

14,436 posts, read 14,374,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
I agree this crime sounds horrendous. Nevertheless, what you are expressing is a grave concern of mine. That concern is people who make up their mind about a case from media reports. I would hope for people who might have opinions, but would reserve their judgment until they actually heard the case (the evidence) before making a life and death decision.

Old 04-13-2022, 07:51 AM

37,313 posts, read 59,992,132 times
I hope she declared that income cause now the tax man knows

Old 04-13-2022, 07:57 AM

9,209 posts, read 6,286,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Juries determine guilt or innocence. Judges hand down sentences.

No - juries decide Guilty or Not Guilty, with the latter meaning that the prosecution has not proved its case.

Old 04-13-2022, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
No - juries decide Guilty or Not Guilty, with the latter meaning that the prosecution has not proved its case.
He has already plead guilty. The jury will decide his sentence.

Old 04-13-2022, 09:46 AM

37,313 posts, read 59,992,132 times
That young man has some factors to consider
Personally I think fetal alcohol syndrome is responsible for part of his crime
He should be in mental institution—not prison—but that likely is not an option

Old 04-13-2022, 12:51 PM

17,665 posts, read 15,373,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
He has already plead guilty. The jury will decide his sentence.

He pled guilty and they didn't take the death penalty off the table?

THAT is unusual. At that point, why plead guilty? What are they gonna do? Kill you twice?

Did you mean he had already been FOUND guilty in a trial?

That's far more common. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but it's exceedingly rare that someone will face the death penalty after a guilty plea. Taking death off the table is usually the carrot that is hung out to secure a guilty plea and avoid the time/cost of a trial.

FWIW.. In South Carolina, I believe, the jury that decides on guilt/innocence then comes back to decide whether he gets the death penalty. So, two phases, but one jury. And this is only in death penalty cases.

Old 04-13-2022, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
He pled guilty and they didn't take the death penalty off the table?

THAT is unusual. At that point, why plead guilty? What are they gonna do? Kill you twice?

Did you mean he had already been FOUND guilty in a trial?

That's far more common. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but it's exceedingly rare that someone will face the death penalty after a guilty plea. Taking death off the table is usually the carrot that is hung out to secure a guilty plea and avoid the time/cost of a trial.

FWIW.. In South Carolina, I believe, the jury that decides on guilt/innocence then comes back to decide whether he gets the death penalty. So, two phases, but one jury. And this is only in death penalty cases.
Nikolas Cruz pleads guilty to murder charges and apologizes for Parkland high school massacre

Nikolas Cruz, the gunman who carried out the massacre of students and faculty members at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in February 2018, pleaded guilty in a Florida courtroom Wednesday to 17 counts of murder and 17 counts of attempted murder.

There was obviously no plea bargain. It was his decision. He was not found guilty, he plead guilty. There was no trial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events